CCKW FUEL PUMP

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

CCKW FUEL PUMP

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 pm

CCKW's are normally very easy to work on until you have to change the fuel pump. It is not the simple task as indicated in the TM. It can take a few hours.
I installed a NOS 6 Valve Fuel Pump represented as being reassembled with modern fresh components. I did it to ensure trouble free operation. Went to start it a couple weeks ago and it refused o start for the first time. I had a couple more that I had rebuilt and installed another.
The seller passed away recently and I have the suspicion that the pump indeed was serviced, but with overage components.
Only got a couple hundred miles out of it, probably should have checked operating pressure out of curiosity. One thing I did notice after installing it was the idle was not the usual crisp GMC sound I was used to in a GMC.
The engine now has it's familiar GMC "bark" back after installing the present pump. I'll bet it was running with just barely enough fuel in the float chamber to make it go.
If I can get in the mood, it will get pump's outlet pressure checked.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

rich42gpw
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: CCKW FUEL PUMP

Post by rich42gpw » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:07 pm

I have had a similar problem, rebuilt the pump from a kit from they guy in Canada that sells a lot of CCKW parts. Runs well now.
RICH

Quasimodo
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Quasimodo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:04 am

At least it failed at home not on the road - here's a pic that might get you in the mood Joel :) - who knows might even have been your truck:

http://www.ewillys.com/wp-content/uploa ... 24x768.jpg

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:04 am

Some fling all the heat shields and brackets that are in the way so that the job is simpler. The CCKW fuel pump with its oil return thru a mounting bolt, that Military Oil Filter, Heater Hoses, Hood Side Panels and their braces all make for a fun day.
Love the early CCKW photo with the Field Artillery door marking, thanks.
Mine is going to get marked in honor of 152nd Field Artillery, Maine National Guard that was activated in the spring of 1941 and spent 3 years island hopping in the South Pacific.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

rich42gpw

Post by rich42gpw » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:40 pm

in mine when i changed it i had all that stuff in the way to work around and a bunch of yellow jackets that had taken up residence.
RICH

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”