352 Fuel sending unit problem??

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

newc
Sergeant Major of the Gee

352 Fuel sending unit problem??

Post by newc » Sun May 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Well my guage went to empty.. previous owner had used E10 gas. I went to remove sending unit and found a NATO replacement using three screws on an adapter plate for the original 5 screws. IN fact to remove the float you had to remove the adapter plate.. OK so far. Ohm readings are all over the place for this sending unit. The cork float is all there, but the varnish is broken up and badly cracked. So I need an original type sending unit, BUT will its float stand all the weird additives ect. even using 'Clear' Non- alky gas?? come back gang. Newc

newc

Re: 352 Fuel sending unit problem??

Post by newc » Tue May 23, 2017 8:38 pm

Latest on fuel sending unit: I was told it is a 30 ohm unit for 6v trucks. So at the local vintage chev parts house they had one a FS 889 for $35 bucks and it fit perfectly. My tank is 11" deep and the bolt pattern was right. So intall in a few days and let you all know. NOS ones do not seem to be available. Newc

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: 352 Fuel sending unit problem??

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed May 24, 2017 3:13 am

NOS do show up, unannounced. Try Frank in Canada, watch eBay, and watch the classifieds in Supply Line and Military Vehicles. My SWB is temperamental due to the manner it is insulated by the straps. I have never relied on MV Fuel gauges no matter how new the vehicle. Experienced GI's are used to visually checking the fuel levels. I carry an 18" wooden dowel in my SWB cab and stick the tank just to be safe.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”