SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DRIVE A CCKW DO YOU

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DRIVE A CCKW DO YOU

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:03 pm

You gotta keep at it, those close together transmission speeds and the 5 Speed Clark sliding gear transmission will let you know you need practice not to lug the engine and grind the gears. I ground a few yesterday going to and from the parade.
Promise to do better the coming year. :wink:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

mudflap
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DRIVE A CCKW DO YOU

Post by mudflap » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:45 pm

My up shifts are usually pretty good, but my down shifts typically leave a lot to be desired. Still need more practice on those. :)

The guy I purchased my truck from gave me a good piece of advice. He said: "When driving a CCKW, never try to do anything in a hurry ."

This advice is especially appropriate when making that 2-3 shift during those long left turns across multiple traffic lanes. Your inclination is to try and make the gear change as quickly as possible, but if you try shifting too fast, you grind the gears or even miss the shift altogether.

Best to just take it easy, and everything works out OK.

Best Regards....

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DRIVE A CCKW DO YOU

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:58 pm

And each CCKW has it's own feel. I have driven some that shifted so smooth you would swear it had synchros. The Army bought a fleet of 1955 GMC Model 424 V 2 Ton 4X2 Commercial Stake Body trucks with 5 speed Sliding Gear Clarks. They shifted just as lousy.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”