Help wanted/pls advise: M49 ring mount setup for a Diamond T

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

MarcovdV
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Help wanted/pls advise: M49 ring mount setup for a Diamond T

Post by MarcovdV » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:01 am

Hello all,

we are nearing the final stage of the restoration of an open cab 981 Diamond T. For those interested in pics/vids you may check out this thread http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.ph ... cules-DXFE
Since it is an open cab, the Diamond will of course be outfitted with the M49+M36 ring mount assy but I am not 100% sure we have all the right parts needed to properly install the lot on the truck. What we have:

M49
M49.jpg
M49.jpg (154.2 KiB) Viewed 515 times
Brackets
Brackets.jpg
Brackets.jpg (166.08 KiB) Viewed 515 times
The brackets I figured are the good types, since the versions that are welded to the leg are for lighter trucks as far as I am informed (M32 and M37Axx), am I right? But with which type of bolt are these attached: UNC or UNF? In addition, which brackets attaches to which leg (rear left/rear right/front right)?

Adapter plate
Adapter plate.jpg
Adapter plate.jpg (164.76 KiB) Viewed 515 times
As for the adapter plate I am a bit confused. We have a renowned dealer here where one of his sales guys told me we need a different type of adapter to fit the bracket to the legs on the Diamond. But the only other adapter plate I know of is for the M49 to go onto lighter trucks like GMC/DUKW etc. That particular adapter can be seen on this page http://s137.photobucket.com/user/CatMan ... ort=3&o=12
Another tell tale sign that our ring is not for the lighter trucks; we once tried to set up the lot onto our DUKW but it would not nearly fit. Hence my doubt about this dealer's comment. Can anyone comment on this?
At one of the WW2 museums here I was allowed to do a walk-around of the 981 they had. That particular Diamond T did not even have an adapter plate -just the M49 to the brackets- but still the complete ring mount seemed to sit ok

Legs
Legs.jpg
Legs.jpg (125.12 KiB) Viewed 515 times
These three came with the rest of the set. Measuring 59" in length each, the diameter fits the brackets exactly but are these usable or too short? To my knowledge both rear legs should have a sort of triangular notches/lugs welded to it, like here http://s137.photobucket.com/user/CatMan ... ort=3&o=10 so it can be securely attached with the U-bolts at the back of the cabin:
Rear Truck.jpg
Rear DT
Rear Truck.jpg (234.44 KiB) Viewed 515 times
What I know of these notches/lugs that there should be 7 on each leg, with a 2" spacing between them. The variable height can be adjusted up-down 12" in total. I only have no clue about how many inches the uppermost lug starts as seen from the top....anyone? The aforementioned Diamond in the museum did not have the welded lugs but simply both rear legs tightened to the cabin with the U-bolts; I suppose this is incorrect?

As for attaching the front leg to the cabin, how should this be done?
Front Truck.jpg
Front DT
Front Truck.jpg (161.84 KiB) Viewed 515 times
With this museum-Diamond the leg was again simply clamped into the "socket" whereas the leg for lighter trucks is clamped but can have the height adjusted by these holes in the leg, secured by a simple nut-lock washer-bolt construction:
http://www.cckw.org/M36_MOUNT_CATMAN_15.JPG

Can anyone shed a light on this? What would be historically correct for all of this? Note that I have both TM 9-2016 (covers the M49) and the newer TM 9-224 that provides basic information but for this particular setup I still have these questions.

Many, many thanks for looking into this!!

Marco

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Help wanted/pls advise: M49 ring mount setup for a Diamo

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:05 pm

There is an installation publication indicating the various trucks including G-159 M-20 6X4. They are TM9-221 and TM9-2016.with changes I believe the Mount Kit for your Truck may be the M-57. There is a good illustration of them-57 Mount in TM9-2016, Figure 17
I have the instruction sheets which came with these kits which do show the mods, but have not seen them for a long time and have no idea where to look.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

MarcovdV
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by MarcovdV » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:12 am

Ben,

thanks for looking into this.
I looked up the M57 into TM 9-2016 but I believe this is not what it should look like on a Diamond:
M57 (Medium).jpg
M57 (Medium).jpg (154.72 KiB) Viewed 464 times
There is no provision on the truck for the large back plate as in this picture
M57 installed (Medium).jpg
M57 installed
M57 installed (Medium).jpg (199.89 KiB) Viewed 464 times

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:59 am

Understood, I wish I had the installation instructions handy, it will be hopeless to look for them. I seem to remember they had the Diamond T directions. The instruction were not part of The two TMs I mentioned.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

BACON
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by BACON » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:33 pm

wwii uprights will be cast. notches in the castings adjust the height of the ring mount. mount and castings are correct. uprights i could not tell.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”