M1 Heavy Wrecker

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

ordnance
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

M1 Heavy Wrecker

Post by ordnance » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:39 am

Snapped these photos last weekend while on a drive through Eastern Oregon. I don't think I've ever seen one of these "in the wild" before and thought it was interesting what can still be seen by the side of the highway.

1934 Dodge 1/2 T PU
1937 Chev 1 1/2 T Cargo
1941 Bantam BRC
1941 37mm AT Gun
1941 GMC CCKW 352
1942 Dodge WC-55 Gun Carriage
1943 Borgward Sd. Kfz.302 Goliath
1944 MB
1969 Grafton 24' STAB, Vietnam River Boat
9 assorted hand carts, 1917-1944

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: M1 Heavy Wrecker

Post by kw573 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:30 pm

Oh wow!!!

What a complete, un-molested looking truck just waiting for someone to bring her back to life!

It has the typical features of an M1A1 Ward LaFrance heavy wrecker produced around 1943 - 1945.

Someone save her.

Sam.

waayfast
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by waayfast » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:01 am

Folks,

Since I have yet to master posting photos here I'll "hi-jack" this post since the photos are here!

Yep--I saved it! Boy is Mama proud of me now! :shock: Only thing saving my hide is I'm calling this a Father's day present to me.

The owner had recently passed away (RIP Dave) and the family was selling this and other items.

Now for the questions.

Can anyone here tell me if this is the KW573 or is it the Ward LaFrance? What engine and anyone have a manual for this beast

Also it starts easy, runs, drives so we can get it on a lowboy for transport but Glen (the son-in-law) was not familiar with the operation of the winches/boom. We need to get the boom centered and lowered for transport. Can anyone give us a detailed instruction on the operation of the business end of this thing?

Thanks in advance ,
Jim

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Heavy wrecker fraternity!!
Your truck is the standardized M1A1 as opposed to the earlier M1.

Your truck has Ward Lafrance style tool boxes under the boom. Also, being in USA, it is most likely a Ward Lafrance.

Like all things mechanical that have been sitting for a while, there could be all sorts of problems when you try to operate it.

If you are not a mechanically minded person, get someone who is to be with you when you try to operate the cranes. It is easy to bend/break stuff if you are not careful. Don't be in a hurry.

Now, how the crane operates.
There is a PTO on the transfercase that drives a chain that weaves in and out of the various winches in the crane tower. Give this chain a liberal squirt of oil from an oil can. I use plain engine oil. Also, oil the linkage/cable that goes from the engagement lever (at the base of the drivers seat, the left hand one) to the PTO. If this cable is seized, then you have some work to do.
Check for oil levels and condition in the four worm drives of the crane. (hook winch/luff winch/slew chain worm drive/slew box) Easier said than done.
Grease the pulleys that the cables run on. There are many.

With the engine running at an idle,
1) select netural with the transfer case shift lever.
2) engage the PTO
3) select 1st gear with the main gearbox. (later, as your confidence grows, you can use higher gears)
4) GENTLY release the clutch, listening for scary mechanical noises as the chain starts to move. The chain itself will probably be pretty noisy anyway. I like to give it plenty of oil as it is running.
5) once that is all good, operate the crane using the levers. They are an 'all-or-nothing' system. That is, as you push/pull the lever, it engages a dog clutch that sounds and feels like badly clashing gears. Push/pull the lever all the way hard and quickly, or not at all.
There is no guarantee these will work as expected. Be ready for the linkages to stick or the crane to go the wrong way.

For the purposes of transport, you can drop the boom onto the rear winch cable.
Slew = boom sideways
Luff = boom up and down

SOME TRAPS

If you raise the boom too high, it will hit and bend the pulley storage hooks on the crane tower.
If you lower the boom too far to the side, you can damage the tool boxes.
If you slew too far either way, an air operated lockout will disengage the clutch at the engine and, depending on what works and what doesn't, it can be involved getting it to move again. You can see the trip lever on the crane tower near the boom slew box.
If you raise the pulley too far (all the way so it hits the end of the boom), you will probably damage the end of the boom and stall the idling engine before breaking the cable.
The cable on the hook winch could 'birdsnest' if the hook doesn't lower as the winch feeds out the cable. This is a major pain and is time consuming to fix. You can't just wind the cable back onto the drum. It will tangle into a big mess and damage stuff. So if you 'hook down' but the hook doesn't actually go down, STOP immediately. You can see the loose cable on the winch drum in the crane tower. Pull on the hook until the cable on the drum is tight again. You will probably need to operate the winch at the same time.

Took me years to learn this stuff the hard way. Don't be phased by the amount of info here, you'll work it out.
My truck does not have an original engine, so I can't help you there.
John and Jeff can help there, or add if I have missed something important.

Please, keep us informed.

Happy trucking.
Sam.

gearhead
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by gearhead » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:04 pm

Manuals are available.
I am looking for them myself.
Cool Beastie!
6cyl Continental overhead valve, "crash box" un-synchronized (takes some finesse).
Approx. 32k lbs. Air brakes ( I used to have a CDL, not too much trouble antique non-commercial, parade etc.)
Took Frank Bucks' into Gettysburg for Memorial Day parade, in town proper, narrow streets etc. :shock:
Forgot to mention NO power steering! :o
IMG_20150525_165454_935.jpg
IMG_20150525_165454_935.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
Ed S :)
Last edited by gearhead on Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
54 CJ-3A/B
56 DJ-3A for sale
45 GPW 271022, USMC 46 CJ-2A 2WD"gasser"
50 CJ-V35
58 CJ-3B
57 DJ-3A chassis for sale

40 Chevy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by 40 Chevy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:17 pm

I think Sam covered all the basis on the crane operation. Get ALL the manuals, you will have a lot of reading to do. Sheetmetal and engine parts are hard to find. When we did the lubrication (Lube fest as we call it) it took 6 hours to change out all the gear oil and lubricate all the zerk fittings.
You will need lots of BIG tools. Congrats on the save.

John G
1940 G4112
1942 G509 969A
1942 G116 series 2
1944 G116 series 5
1942 Sterling HC 165 tractor
1944 Autocar U7144T

ordnance
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by ordnance » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:52 pm

Jim,

Just noticed this thread back at the top again and great to hear you saved this truck. A friend and I were just at Alex Gordon's meet last weekend and I was thinking about this rig on the drive back to Portland. Unfortunately, we returned via I-84 and didn't have a chance to check it out. Now I can quit worrying about it's fate knowing that it will be preserved. Good luck with your "little" project.

Rick
1934 Dodge 1/2 T PU
1937 Chev 1 1/2 T Cargo
1941 Bantam BRC
1941 37mm AT Gun
1941 GMC CCKW 352
1942 Dodge WC-55 Gun Carriage
1943 Borgward Sd. Kfz.302 Goliath
1944 MB
1969 Grafton 24' STAB, Vietnam River Boat
9 assorted hand carts, 1917-1944

waayfast
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by waayfast » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks to all for the kind words and support!

Thanks Sam for the instructions on the operation of the beast. That really makes it clear what is supposed to happen and NOT happen! Nothing like hearing this sort of thing from an experienced operator.

Ed S- Sounds like quite a ride to wrestle these around on the narrow roads--can't wait to get this checked out and take for a ride ( at home). Luckily I have the CDL and Airbrake experience thru my day job as Log truck driver for 30 years so at least that part is covered.

John G- I do have some "large" tools but probably not enough (can one really ever have enough? :lol: ) Looking for manuals. I would even go for reprints-does Portrayal press have these?

Rick--I spotted this truck a few years ago while hauling logs on that road. I knew it was a WWII truck but did not realize what it was till I got more into the hobby. I even stopped and inquired about it 3 years ago but the owner had no interest in selling at that time as he used it quite often with his trucking business. When I saw your original post a year ago, I was sure someone would track the old girl down and it would be gone.

Then I spotted the Craigslist ad and decided to go for it. I was surprised no one had picked it up before I got in touch with the owners. Glen (owners son-in -law) said they had a few people inquire but the only one even half serious was a local guy that just wanted to cut the winches out of it for his firewood business and then just scrap the rest!! YIKES!!

OK, more questions-- What tire size do these run. Would a "modern" M series (M-818, M-813 etc) tire and wheel be "okay"?

This wrecker appears to be painted post WWII "airfield , visibility yellow". Did the Army Air Forces use these for aircraft crash recovery on airbases?

I need ( and can afford) another project like I need another hole in my head, but these are not very common to say the least. My Dad was on the crash recovery crew at Selfridge Army Air Base in Michigan during the war. I hope someday to get the Ward LaFrance going and along with one of my Cletracs , we will have a display in his honor at the car shows.

Jim

40 Chevy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by 40 Chevy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:10 am

jim
portrayl press has all the manuals in reprint. The truck tire size is is 1100 20 ! yes, modern wheels would work.

John G
1940 G4112
1942 G509 969A
1942 G116 series 2
1944 G116 series 5
1942 Sterling HC 165 tractor
1944 Autocar U7144T

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:53 am

Great save, and if the previous owner was around now, he'd be all over you thanking you for not scrapping it VS. the guy that wanted it for the winches.
The modern rims and tires (well recently modern...)from a 5 Ton 800 series or the M52 series will fit, there's even one I'm buying this week for my M543A2 at Gov Liquidation for a spare with some deuce tires. You may have combat rims on her though, and you would loose 'authenticity' if the original rims were not re-used.
Basically don't toss them until you've confirmed they are non-serviceable and replaceable....
Ask around, there are many whom are singling up their 5 Tons and the old NDT tires and rims are basically scrap to them as they use the bigger M900 series tires and rims or such.
V/R W. Winget

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:46 am

Jim,
a trap with tires is the ply rating.
I have a bunch of ex-army tires that are only 8 ply. Not heavy enough for the front wheels.
12 or 14 ply for the front are needed.
Sam.

waayfast
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by waayfast » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks again guys for the guidance.

Good to know we will need the heavy ply up front. This truck has civilian tires all around and all are REALLY bad. My thoughts were aligned with Mr. Winget. It seems right now "modern" M series tires in 11.00/20 are pretty cheap and often already mounted. Much cheaper than trying to replace the civy tires with much less work. Good to know they will bolt right up (even have a 1" drive rattle wrench and a porkchop, LOL!), as we are really going to be on a tight budget.

As much as I would love to do a frame off restore, it just will not happen while I have it. I'll have to repair as needed and paint it (motorpool restore) but at least it's not been cut and dumped.

Speaking of paint--since it is the late war model, I'm thinking 319?? Any thoughts from those with experience? I'm open to any and all suggestions.
ard
John G--thanks for verifying Portrayal-we will get some headed our way.

A couple of years ago there was a WWII Federal Wrecker that came up for sale here locally--missed it (too much $ for me at the time). Did some studying that showed the Sterilings and the Federals were used on airbases---still wondering if the Ward La France/KW573 trucks were used by the AAF??? Anyone??

Thanks again, Jim

waayfast
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by waayfast » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:21 am

Hello,

Seems like forever since I gave an update on this project--

We did manage to get this proud ol' girl home. It does start easily (and stay running if you remember to turn on
the electric fuel pump :roll: ). Exhaust has pretty good leak down low -thank goodness for the open cockpit!.

Spent some time greasing, checking boxes etc. -surprisingly tight and well lubed.

Steering is WAY loose but discovered the steering box is loose to the frame-hopefully an easy fix.
Tires all hold air but all are terrible and need replaced. (Looking for some 11.00/20s folks).

Have found a manual and starting to browse the auction sites for trinkets.

Winter has hit here so there won't be much going on with the project for a while.

Want to say thanks to Sam, Rick , John and all for the help and advice!!!

Jim

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Hi Jim,
I'm glad you have got her home.

Sounds like you are attacking this truck in a similar way that I did to my Kenworth over 15 years ago.
I bought mine as I sorta kinda wanted one and had some money when it turned up. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but the good Lord knew I was going to need it :lol: :lol:

So, not having much money, but a lot more skill and some equipment, I fixed things as I went along. For example, it was driveable though with almost non-existent brakes. The boom cable pulleys were un-attached at the top of the boom and there was no hook or even cable! The boom had been cut short and the end so badly damaged that it would not even take a pin for the pulleys! So for years, the only lifting it would do was with a chain and by raising/lowering the boom. Some task would come up and I'd want to use the KW, which would motivate me to fix some part of it to do that particular job.
Honestly, there wasn't much money involved in it. Though your truck looks like it is not going to need as much TLC as mine did/does.

So, I am telling you this to encourage you in which ever way you go with this truck.

Trinkets-wise, a surprising amount of stuff can be bought through online auction sites as it seems to me that much of the equipment that these trucks were issued with was simply commercially available stuff painted OD!!! :roll:
If you like some egs, I'll be glad to let you know, but I don't want heaps of collectors hitting items all at once and creating high prices.

If other M1A1 collectors want to add some trinkets to their trucks, I can tell you what I have learned, BUT, I'm no expert!
Perhaps I'll use the Heavy Wrecker accessories thread.

Lastly, I know many of us are very interested to see pictures of your truck. I'm sure pictures will attract comments that will help us all.

I hope this is not too off topic, no hijack intended.

Have a nice day.
Sam.
1942 Script GPW (Daily driver).
MB-T trailer.
Diamond T 969. ('The Glorifier')
Diamond T 969, rusty, complete, for sale.
Kenworth M1A1 Heavy Wrecker x 2.
M2A1 white HT. ('Clarrie')
Light Recovery Trailer (Ford?).
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.
150gal water tanker trailer.
Air compressor trailer, 100c.f.m.

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:09 pm

Try this guy for tires. He is in Calif., but the prices are pretty reasonable.
http://www.100dollarman.com/
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”