Is this a F-3 or an L-2 CCKW?

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Is this a F-3 or an L-2 CCKW?

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:05 am

Loaded to the background music of the "6BT" in Johns' Dodge. One wonders what goes thru the mind of a person as they take a good look while their "prize" is being loaded.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

j506
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by j506 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:47 am

We all tend to look at these projects thru " rose colored glasses"......at some point when "reality" rears it's ugly head, you find yourself saying...."What the ( insert you favorite expletive ) was I thinkin' " :lol:

And No Bill it isn't done yet :(

John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 2446-C
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA #26900

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:58 am

Remind me to show you the NOS F-3 Compartment Lights I have.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

dogtags
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by dogtags » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:20 pm

j506 wrote:1 F3 tank still has it's original data plates ....and... it also has a cast steel bracket located on the forward end of the tank, just right of center with 2 vent pipes attached (remains only ) ....the second tank also has signs of the same arrangement
This bracket and related piping is however not present on the vehicle in your photos
John
John:

Would you please take some pictures of the bracket and the data plates when you get a chance. I would love to see them.

~Robert

dogtags

Post by dogtags » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Just a quick update on the F-3 or L-2 debate. I measured the tank yesterday. It is a 750 gallon tank. That means, as much as I hate to admit it, CatMan was right, it is a F-3. :)

~Robert

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:37 pm

The the separator also indicated that it was a refueling truck.

j506
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by j506 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:28 am

dogtags wrote:Just a quick update on the F-3 or L-2 debate. I measured the tank yesterday. It is a 750 gallon tank. That means, as much as I hate to admit it, CatMan was right, it is a F-3. :)

~Robert
I'm thinkin' it's a "mongrel" as it has several "updates"
I need to send you some pics as my F3 is in original unmolested condition,and unrestored :( and yes the body is as Catman posted but the piping layout and hose reel with manifolds are different than what your walk around photos show ,and the pump /body data plates denote the manufacterer as Heil.
Also the exhaust system is completely located under the drivers side running board and exits there in an effort to keep it away from the pump/pto area under forward end of the tank.where as the oil service trucks wouldn't need to be so concerned with hot exhaust and possible sparks.
Did you get a photo of the body manu. tags on the inside of the passenger side front compartment door ? I only saw the chassis tags in your pictures

Cheers
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 2446-C
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA #26900

dogtags

Post by dogtags » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:20 am

j506 wrote: Did you get a photo of the body manu. tags on the inside of the passenger side front compartment door ? I only saw the chassis tags in your pictures

Cheers
John
The body manufacture tag is missing.

~Robert

dogtags

Post by dogtags » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:35 pm

j506 wrote: Also the exhaust system is completely located under the drivers side running board and exits there in an effort to keep it away from the pump/pto area under forward end of the tank.
Cheers
John
John:

Can you look under your truck and see if you have what appears to be heat shield under/behind the Driver's side compartment? While I agree that it is unusual for the exhaust to exit out the back, it does look like this is an exhaust heat shield for that cabinet, agree? See pictures below.

Also, I would love to see more pictures/detailed pictures of your truck to compare and contrast to the Museum's.

~Robert

Airfield Service CCKW - Heat shield 1 by RLB Photography, on Flickr

Airfield Service CCKW - Heat shield 2 by RLB Photography, on Flickr

Airfield Service CCKW - Heat shield 3 by RLB Photography, on Flickr

Airfield Service CCKW - Heat shield 4 by RLB Photography, on Flickr

Airfield Service CCKW - Heat shield 5 by RLB Photography, on Flickr

Airfield Service CCKW - Heat Shield 6 by RLB Photography, on Flickr

dogtags

Post by dogtags » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:00 pm

j506 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:28 am
dogtags wrote:Just a quick update on the F-3 or L-2 debate. I measured the tank yesterday. It is a 750 gallon tank. That means, as much as I hate to admit it, CatMan was right, it is a F-3. :)

~Robert
I'm thinkin' it's a "mongrel" as it has several "updates"
I need to send you some pics as my F3 is in original unmolested condition,and unrestored :( and yes the body is as Catman posted but the piping layout and hose reel with manifolds are different than what your walk around photos show ,and the pump /body data plates denote the manufacterer as Heil.
Also the exhaust system is completely located under the drivers side running board and exits there in an effort to keep it away from the pump/pto area under forward end of the tank.where as the oil service trucks wouldn't need to be so concerned with hot exhaust and possible sparks.
Did you get a photo of the body manu. tags on the inside of the passenger side front compartment door ? I only saw the chassis tags in your pictures

Cheers
John
Here I go, digging up an ancient thread with an update.... :)

Most of the piping on the truck is stamped +GF+. After some research, I have found out this is the mark of Georg Fischer, a Swiss company. During WWII they had plants in Switzerland, Germany and England. It doesn't look like they entered the US market until 1976 from what I can see on their company history. So, my guess is that the piping is not of American origin and it was an "update."

Can you please send me some pictures of your original truck, if you still have them please, John?

~Robert

Dr Deuce
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Dr Deuce » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:06 am

And what is this one we 'rescued' a few years ago during the remnants of a hurricane...?

https://www.youtube[DOT]com/watch?v=3hhiDp-aqHA

Steve

The commentary is precious!
Stephen Keith AKA Dr Deuce
www.ww2movievehicles,com

9 CCKWs 6x6

7 Chevys 4x4

AFB_GPW
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by AFB_GPW » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:03 pm

This particular CCKW refueler was part of the Frank Buck Collection for several years. We currently have another CCKW refueler in the collection.
1942 GPW
1945 GPW

MVPA, IMPS, MVT, AACA

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”