A 969 rebuild from Downunder.

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Speed up a 969? A rebuild from Downunder.

Post by kw573 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:38 pm

Continuing with the clutch cover (a.k.a. pressure plate) assembly . . . . .

. . assembly collar with circlip in place ready for fitting . . .

. . . and the circlip pushed into place. I used a large shifter carefully adjusted to the right opening and then gave it a good solid smack with a soft hammer which drove the circlip into place in one action. I was careful to have the shifter jaw across the gap in the circlip so that the ends were driven evenly and firmly in case they caught on the lip.

The circlip is fitted with its' ends well away from the keyway. . .

. . . then using a pin punch, I tapped around it to ensure that it was fully seated. The manual says to use a staking tool. What is a staking tool? Then double-checked the seating. As I have never done one of these before, I was sort of guessing as to how critical the correct seating of the circlip is. I am happy that it is correctly seated now.

The pressure plate and clutch cover ready to be assembled, a very simple job.

Just drop it in place and fit the springs, retainers and pins. Also, the adjustment shims can be seen here. The manual says to start with 8 shims on re-assembly and check when the whole clutch is assembled.

Next is to finish the flywheel machining.

Still looking for used transfer case bearings.

Have a nice day.
Sam.
Last edited by kw573 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:28 pm

Back to the flywheel modifications.

The next step was to make a collar to step down the hole in the center of the flywheel to take the Diamond T spigot bearing.

This was an accuracy level I am not used to, and the fit was a bit light on, so I used retaining compound to make sure.

As the bearing needed to be exactly con-centric with the crank, it was back to the bigger lathe again, 3jaw off,

4jaw on,

set up for zero runout, well almost, I tolerated 0.001" - 0.002" as that was reaching the limit of my skill and the shape of the flywheel,

and finished off the hole in the collar.

It was a bit of a too light a drive fit. There is less than half of a thou (0.0005") between a "light drive fit" and a "medium drive fit". As this bearing needs to be able to be pulled out for replacement, it needed to be tapped in lightly with a hammer so it won't move, but can be removed later. This is called a "light drive fit". Those more knowledgeable than I feel free to educate us!

So I assembled the bearing with a single drop of retaining compound. Just right, I hope. Hopefully, I'll never need to find out. :wink:

Have a nice day.
Sam.
Last edited by kw573 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1942 Script GPW (Daily driver).
MB-T trailer.
Diamond T 969. ('The Glorifier')
Diamond T 969, rusty, complete, for sale.
Kenworth M1A1 Heavy Wrecker x 2.
M2A1 white HT. ('Clarrie')
Light Recovery Trailer (Ford?).
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.
150gal water tanker trailer.
Air compressor trailer, 100c.f.m.

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:15 am

Sam,

You continue to amaze with the workmanship on your rebuild. Your project truck certainly found the right person. Thank you for spending the time to post.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:44 am

Hi Paul,

The comments are always welcome. It is just one step at a time, sometimes many steps before anything can be seen for the time, expense and effort. That I am very healthy in my 50s' allows me to do this, and ultimately I want to rally this vehicle for decades. Growing up in a non-mechanical family meant that I got off to a slow start in the vehicle restoring game. But I 'hit my pins' when I turned 50!! In the words of Alice Cooper, "60 is the new 40."

. . . pressing a new throwout bearing onto its' carrier using a small press called an Arbor press, good for around 2 tons pressure, a handy tool in my workshop.

. . assembling the clutch actuating linkage was a bit tricky, the shaft had to go through the lever and out the other side before the woodruff key could be fitted.

. . . all done ready to go together.

A simple picture that does not hint at the work required to get this far!

But then it had to be adjusted. The initial on-the-bench setup says to use 8 shims. Then, when assembled with pressure on the new clutch plate, it need to be checked, and of course, it needed adjusting. Again, an involved process. First depress the clutch pedal. Uhmmm, OK, so I used clamps instead,

which takes the pressure off the bolts holding the shims, so that they won't strip the threads when being loosened under pressure. Then release the pressure which releases the shims. I removed 2 shims from each of the 6 bolts, applied the pressure again, tightened the bolts, released the pressure and checked the measurement again. Unfortunately, there is a bit of an alignment problem with the face that the throwout bearing contacts, it is tilted on a bit of an angle, so I had to use an average of measurements and I hope it will settle down when I start using it.

Hmm, was that everything done? Only one way to find out, so I excitedly fitted the gearbox up to the engine. The clutch linkage seized up. Released the housing bolts a few mm and it came loose, so I removed the gearbox to find that the throwout bearing carrier had not positioned correctly on the actuating linkage. Fixed that, refitted the gearbox and it seems to work fine. Thank goodness!

Next is to fabricate some engine mounts.

Have a nice day.
Sam.
Last edited by kw573 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

fowler8669
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by fowler8669 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:09 am

what a super restoration looking forward to following this build to the end, went for my first ride in a friends 969 a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the ride, starting to clear the shed and keep an eye out for one in need of a good home. the best engineers are the self taught ones :wink:

regards sam

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi Sam,
Where are you?

Should you join the 969 club, you are most welcome, and I will happily share what I have learned.

Although it hasn't been posted yet, I am close to fitting the engine to the chassis.
I am really looking forward to the joy of using and sharing this vehicle. If it had some 969 mates as well, it would be even better.
There are only two rally-able 969s with 1000kms of me that I know of.

Holidays are finished now, so work will slow to a trickle for the next few months.

Have a nice day.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

fowler8669
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by fowler8669 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi Sam

sadly i am across the water in sunny England yes i said sunny! though normal service has just resumed with wind and rain lol. i guess were lucky here in the UK as there are healthy numbers of Diamond T's in various forms all on a small island so it is possible to get a couple of T's together. i am hoping to find a 969 soon and after having a ride in my friends 969 a can't wait to get one, just the Hercules engine in it's own right makes these iconic trucks special. hopefully if i do manage to acquire a 969 i would like to bring it over to Oz as like you said in your last post Sam it would be great to have a group of T's together.

looking forward to seeing the engine mounted back in the chassis, is it the original Hercules engine?

best regards Sam

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:15 am

Hi Sam,

You have sunny, I have cold.
It is mid winter here, though very mild by UK standards, 5DegC is very cold for me.

I am not using the original engine for this re-build. Honestly, for the amount of use I intend to put this truck to, I could not afford to feed it. Even at a generous 4mpg, the fuel bill would stop me attending many events.
So, after a good look around, I settled on the Cummins 6BT at around 160 h.p. I expect 10+mpg from it, it won't be working very hard.
This is why there was all the work on the flywheel.
Tony Butt in UK is doing the same conversion as this, his has more done than I. He used a modern clutch, I used the original. The jury is out.

Was the truck you rode in an open or closed cab? I'm an open cab man. Suits the weather here. I love it!

I have a second truck that I intend to re-build to all original, it should be a much simpler job than this one. One day.

Have a nice day.
Sam.

fowler8669
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by fowler8669 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi Sam

i would be happy with 5 Deg C it's dam hot working on steam engines when it's 22 in the sun, though today it has been a little cooler which is a relief.

i tried to post a picture of the 969 i rode in yesterday but the image is to big for the site to load so i will email it to you Sam so you can ponder over it. or if you know how to load it up for every one else to see then be my guest. shall send it to you now.

regards sam

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Good Sam, can do.

If you "resize" or "resample" your picture in an image editing program (eg windows paint), you should be able to get it down to under 500kb which will email/post OK. But not that good to zoom in to check out details.

Or find a suitably experienced teenager to help!

If my email bounces back, try again later as I don't always empty my mailbox out as often as I should.

Have a nice day.

Sam, downunder.

PS. You've got a really good name, my favorite! :wink:
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

fowler8669
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by fowler8669 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:12 pm

thanks for the advice Sam found it easier than i thought it would be.

her is the truck i rode in and i can see why people like them also the soft top is better suited as the exhaust runs right under the cab floor so even on a cool evening it gets really hot especially for the passenger.

cheers Sam
Attachments
0062.jpg
0062.jpg (112.91 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
0072.jpg
0072.jpg (115.48 KiB) Viewed 1755 times

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:39 am

Ohhh,
I'm feeling weak in the legs.
What a beautiful vehicle. I hope my truck will be as impressive as that one looks.
Although a MG ring will be a challenge here.
Oh, I just noticed, where did they get the fire extinguisher and bracket from?
Thanks Sam,

Sam.

fowler8669
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by fowler8669 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi Sam

i have spoken with my friend and he knows a man who did have the correct fire extinguisher so he is going to give him a call tomorrow and see if he still has it. they aren't the most common items least in the UK and i can't imagine it will be a cheap item to ship over to Australia. if you were keen to have it i am sure we can sort something out.

regards Sam

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks for the consideration Sam,

I don't know of an original fire extinguisher, the big CO2 one that is 29" high (I read that somewhere), anywhere in Australia.
But I know of two of the big cast brackets that are probably correct or very close. One can be had for AU$500. More than I can justify at this time.
Also, in USA, there are NOS extinguishers also for US$500 each. More than I can justify at the moment.
Yes, shipping is an issue. But if I can find someone bringing parts from UK to Oz and I don't want to wait, it can be made reasonable.
I have arranged to collect and store UK parts in London until I have a pallet full and ship in one lot (Thanks M.). That will be bearable if done carefully, but will take a few years to finalize.
Lets see what happens.

Have a nice day.
Sam.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”