A 969 rebuild from Downunder.

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: A 969 rebuild from Downunder.

Post by kw573 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 am

The next repair on the passenger mudguard . . .
Straightened and welded the wired edge wire near the rear of the guard, . . .

. . . . cut and shaped a replacement patch from bright mild steel, which is softer than black mild steel, . . . .

but still had to cut a 'dart' in it to get enough movement for the right shape, . . . .

. . . welded it . . .

. . . and ground it ready for hammering to a better shape before applying filler. . . .

. . . and used hammer/dolly and lock-grip pliers to roll the patch around the wired edge before welding it around the wire to try to give it the strength it had originally. I thought I may have to use heat to get the wired edge to shape properly, but thankfully, it worked well enough without the added complication of extra heat on the guard.

Enjoy.
Sam.
1942 Script GPW (Daily driver).
MB-T trailer.
Diamond T 969. ('The Glorifier')
Diamond T 969, rusty, complete, for sale.
Kenworth M1A1 Heavy Wrecker x 2.
M2A1 white HT. ('Clarrie')
Light Recovery Trailer (Ford?).
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.
150gal water tanker trailer.
Air compressor trailer, 100c.f.m.

fowler8669
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by fowler8669 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 pm

superb workmanship i certainly haven't really got the patient's to repair body panel's.

i have started posting my 980 project on HMVF if your interested sam? or indeed any one else.

regards sam(uk)

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:45 am

Sam(UK),
thanks. Bodywork? Looking at the fine 980 you have started on, I wouldn't be surprised if, in a few months, you are ARE good at rust repairs!

Anyway, the rain continues, which confines me to work inside, which is a crowded place. But it is good, we need the rain.
So I decided to do some small jobs. The next to tick off was the fuel sender earth wire to chassis. Fuel gauges are notorious for failing to work due to poor earthing problems. So I did pay a bit of attention to this job.
Thanks to John G., I have the correct armoured cable to use. Why they used this type of cable, I have no clue.

Cut with grinder . . .

. . . and soldered a terminal on, no insulation as it is an earth . . .

. . . and fitted it.

The small bolt to attach it to the chassis also holds a wiring clip on the inside of the chassis. I sanded the attaching area to bare metal and used a star washer at both ends of the wire to ensure a good electrical contact. Then sprayed the connection with a local product call "Lubex", a spray lubricant which dries to a wax-like coating.

Couldn't resist, I had to turn on the power. Nothing. No response from the gauge at all. I'm hoping that is merely because there is only 30lts(8Gall) in a 220Lt(50Gall) tank. So I'll put more diesel in to see where the problem is.

So far, . . .

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:14 pm

. . . . .

as I rebuilt the sender the 'float' I used is not big enough to float against the mechanical load of the sender linkage
So I have to make it bigger.

A NOS PTO cable for the cranes and a new fuel lift pump have arrived ready to fit when I get some time.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:06 pm

A few mudguard (fender) repair pictures.

I had attacked the front edge of the passenger mudguard. Due to rust and mechanical damage (hits) at the wired edge, the join of the outer strip and the main part needed complete replacement. You can just see it in the left corner of this picture.

This involves the rebated section that is used to spot weld the two sections together. This is the first piece in place after the edging wire had been straightened and a new 2" section welded in. Notice that the rebate does not go right to the wired edge.

And the second piece that goes over the rebate and is spot welded to it. Not a real clear picture. Sorry.

That is all I've been up to recently. Other MV stuff taking my time in preparation of our Bi-annual local 'Bundaberg Swim-in' rally.

Have a nice Easter break.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Hello,

Work and other things have been busy so not much being done on the Glorifier.

However, I did another patch on the passenger front mudguard (fender).

Being a compound curved patch (curves in 2 directions at the same place), getting the right replacement shape to cut out took a bit of thinking. Cut it out over-size, shaped it, then trimmed to size and adjusted the curves, trimmed, shaped, trimmed, shaped, etc., until I got a good fit. To shape the patch, I used a lot of hammering on a thick piece of hard rubber matting. A soft face hammer put less hammer marks on the patch but took longer. I have also used a nice patch of lawn under a job to curve in the past, and I vaguely remember using a leather bag filled with lead shot or sand as a teenager at school.

The white marks are liquid paper pen marks showing where the patch lined up very well for initial tack welding. Then it was hammer-and-dolly-ed into better shape to finish the welding, one bit at a time.
Not a good picture, it is better than it looks. . . . . true . . . :wink:

Enjoy.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi All,

As the fuel tank is now finished, I am running out of reasons to not fit the cabin.
There was a small spot where the body filler had failed, that has been repaired. I am assured that was caused by moisture under the paint, I didn't ensure that it was properly dry before painting. I suffer from impatience sometimes.

Also, as previously posted, I have slightly modified the cabin rear cross-member mounts to allow it to be first fitted to the cabin, then to the chassis, instead of visa-versa. This is because the cabin was a very tight fit between the cross member and the cowl. It should be a lot easier and less paint damaged this way. We'll see.

So, I fitted the cross member to the cabin yesterday, only to find the rubber mounting pad I had made was way too thick. Had to make one out of 3mm(1/8") insertion rubber instead of the 12mm (1/2") thick one I had made years ago. Only then could I get the springs compressed enough to screw the nuts and locknuts onto the two bolts.

. . . and I hope to fit the cabin today.

I'm excited!

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Hmmm . . .
It is fitted!

Pulled the Kenworth in beside the cabin and lifted it,

pulled the Glorifier alongside and dropped the cabin in place.

Easier said than done, I should have known from experience that anything could cause problems, and it did. Firstly, the floor panels would not fit around the levers cluster, had to take a linkage off for it to go into place. . .

. . . . and even then it took some force. Then the rear cross member wouldn't align with its' holes properly. After some loosening of other bolts and prying/hitting, we got it bolted in. But it didn't like it!
Man, that last bolt was a struggle. :x

There's that smile again.

Then its' first drive in the proper drivers position, much easier than sitting on a jerry can.

An immediate problem is that the brake pedal fouls on the escutcheon plate. Yes, we did loosen the cowl mounts, steering column brace at the dash board, and the radiator top brace, so the cowl has moved a bit, which isn't surprising. Just some time to find how/what to do to fix it. Yes, the paint colour is slightly different, a job for another day.

One more (huge) job almost done.

Enjoy.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

fowler8669
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by fowler8669 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:18 am

Fantastic!

huge congratulations Sam the T is coming along very well.

this time next year she will be done and driving down the road.

best regards Sam (UK)

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Sam(UK),

I was hoping for late this year, but a mate predicts Easter 2018 to be on-the-road. He may be right.

The issue of the brake pedal dragging on its' escutcheon plate has me considering options.
Clearly, the cowl has moved forward a bit. So I either move it back a bit, or modify other things to fit, which I'm sure was done in the factory when new. The real problem, I suspect, is that I repaired the cabin to be a fraction longer than original, in error.
My almost autistic approach (good in some ways, annoying in others!) has brought me to the decision to remove the cabin, modify the rear crossmember by elongating holes, and refit. Should take little more than 2 hours, plus paint drying time. Then I won't have to struggle with that hard-to-get-on-with escutcheon plate! I'll be much happier then.

When taking it for its' drive, I couldn't get the gearbox into 5th, it would just grind despite several attempts. Later, I checked the operators TM, what a goose I am!!! 4th and 5th gears are in the opposite positions that I thought! I was actually trying to go from 5th to 4th as an up shift. No wonder it wouldn't work.
Also, although it has heaps of 'poke', it didn't seem to have much speed. D'oh, I've got it in low range.
I've sure got lots to learn about this truck!

Needed: I am missing the catch that mounts on the bonnet (hood) to hold the windscreen in place when folded down. Anyone have a spare one that needs a good home?

Have a nice day.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

40 Chevy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by 40 Chevy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:47 am

Sam;

On the shifting front, I feel your pain. The WLF, Diamond T and Autocar all have different shift patterns. At least on the Diamond T and WLF it is just 1st and reverse are reversed, the Autocar is completely different. One time I was trying to move the Autocar and it felt like it had no power, actually I was trying to start off in 4th!!!!

I may caution you about moving the cab back, make sure you will clear the PTO chain!!! and other bits that are hiding beneath the cab.

John G
1940 G4112
1942 G509 969A
1942 G116 series 2
1944 G116 series 5
1942 Sterling HC 165 tractor
1944 Autocar U7144T

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Thanks for that John,
I feel better now!

The cabin would only move back around 1/4", I expect. The only tight spot I remember seeing at the back of the cabin is the winch control levers which I think can easily be adjusted. But we'll see.

Here is a bit of stuff I've been playing with:

The passenger door catch was a solid lump of rust-covered steel. I removed the single rivet, dis-assembled, straightened, blasted and undercoated it all. Here it is ready for re-assembly. The rivet goes in the elongated slot, the spring (which is in the wrong orientation in this picture) is centered on the two tags at the left of the frame . . . aww, . . I'll just post a picture when it is assembled!!!

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:32 pm

And some door handles blasted and undercoated, ready for a top coat.

The repaired bonnet (hood) stay and its' pair, also ready for top coat. The far left end is the repaired one.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:02 am

Sam,

While I don't own a truck model the same as yours, I have always enjoyed watching your build. You have also demonstrated some very clever metal working tips which have helped me with my project.

Driving with an actual cab is way better then sitting on a crate.

Thank you for taking the effort to share your journey.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the kind comments. Appreciated.

(A philosophical paragraph follows)
This MV rebuilding is very much a lone job for me, with only a couple of MV mates close by. Spending so much time working alone makes me aware of the risk of becoming inward-focused, more self-centered, rolled up in an ever shrinking world of ME. This thread is one way I try to keep myself from slipping onto that greasy slope. I also do part time work that is highly people-focused, school teaching. That others find this re-build of interest was, at first, a bit of a surprise to me. But then, If I'd had something like this to read when I started, it would have been very high value. That I can give (and receive) tricks, tips, encouragement to/from others is icing on a cake that would just not be as valuable! With this attitude, it will be interesting to see how I use the "Glorifier" once it is on the road. Everyone I know well knows of this project, I say to them "In a years' time, you'll be at a show (fair) or some other gathering, and there will be this big army tow truck there, and you'll say 'that's got to be Sams'!' "

Now, to yesterdays' events.

Yes, I removed the cabin, again. Two problems needed fixing.
Firstly, the brake pedal catching on the escutcheon. After quite a bit of checking and poking around, the problem seemed to be the thickness of the rear mount rubber, causing the cabin to tip the cowl backward, you can see the gap in this picture:

So I fitted a thicker mounting pad, again. This only improved the issue, but not enough.

While I had the rear cross member off, I also elongated the holes by 1/4" for easier fitting:

. . . and, secondly, cut the seat base where it was jammed hard against the gear shift cluster.

Here, the escutcheons are just sitting in position. They also needed to be cut to clear parts of the gear shift cluster, nothing major.

. . and refitted the cabin. Hmm, still not good enough. Checking the Homebush truck showed that its' cabin is much lower on the chassis, barely 1/4" where I had 1"!!

Ah Haa! If I put thinner mounts under the cowl, that will fix both problems! So I did, and it did!! Yeah!!

Cabin and cowl bolted down and no problems with the pedals at all. So, Ricky and I went for a drive down my quiet rural road. Wow, I'm liking this, now I know where the gears are, and sitting on the proper seat.
But . . . those gear ratios are a loooong way apart. John, you warned me about that, saying 900rpm between them. On yesterdays' drive, my gauge showed more like 1200rpm. Early days still.
And I blew a hose off the turbo-to-intercooler pipe. So I'll "flock" those pipes. I hope that is the right word, puts a ridge around the end of the pipe, like on a radiator hose pipe, for the clamp to grip on.

I have since then been playing with doors and door catches. More on that later.

Have a nice day.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”