It has been a while, and not much is happening workshop-wise.
I have added an extra picture to a post in the previous page, it is headed "and the rust removed. . ", about 2/3 down the page.
It is very easy to get lost in many many pictures taken, have they been posted yet? Did I miss that pic altogether? Have I posted it twice? . . or more? I can see why many don't post many pictures.
Anyway, a while back, I set about making a Tool box door for the rear of the Wrecker Tray. As with much of the 969, it is 16g (1.6mm) mild steel, so I just copied one from my un-molested truck.
Firstly, measured it up, marked it out on flat sheet, cut it out with an angle grinder,
folded it up and welded the corners with a MIG welder.
Then I did the same for the catch, except it was 1/8" steel.
And did a "false" spot weld and a 1/4" wire rivet to hold it in place. The pic below shows the small part held in place prior to welding.
It was only then that I realized that I had goofed . . twice. Firstly, the lid is over an 1" deep, it should be 3/4" deep, it is going to stay that way. Secondly, I fitted the welded part of the catch lower on the lid than my original, thinking that the angle of it looked awkward. I now realize that it needs to be higher so that the padlock will lay flat in the lid. It is going to be moved to the right place.