Tandem tow bar for G506?

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
signsup
banned

Tandem tow bar for G506?

Post by signsup » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 pm

Call me crazy, but there may be an occasion or two where I would need to drag my G506 to an event if it's not running and I was wondering if anyone put a tow bar on the front bumper. Was there a military tow bar for vehicles of this size or larger? If I put one of those on, I could leave for the event as it would be priod correct. If not, and a modern tow bar would make more sense, I'd remove the bar for the event and put shackles into the tow bar backets for show, or unbolt the brackets and replace with button socekt cap screws made to look like rivets into the holes that might have to be drilled into the bumper.

Thanks,
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

gidad
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Re: Tandem tow bar for G506?

Post by gidad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:10 pm

Flat towing a G506 is not a very good idea. Without a trailer or dolly you will have no supplemental braking. You would need a tow vehicle of at least equal weight. I do a lot of hauling for myself and for friends so I have some experience in this. I flat towed my 1/2 ton command car 2 times from Arizona to California behind an E350 Ford motor home. It would get up to about 50 mph and get real squirrelly, and the brakes on the motor home were just barely adequate to stop both. The Chevy weighs about 1500-2000 lbs more than the Dodge. I hauled a G506 from Calif to Arizona last week on a trailer with brakes behind an F350 dually and it was comfortable up to about 65 mph. Remember Newton's 1st law of motion: a body at rest tends to remain at rest, a body in motion tends to remain in motion unless acted upon by an uneven force. The formula involves mass and speed squared. That means the heavier the object and the faster it is moving will require an exponentially greater uneven force to resist its motion. Simply said, you need something big enough with enough brakes to stop your load, or to even be able to steer and change its direction. There is no safe shortcut in moving these old trucks. If you try towing with vehicles and trailers rated below your loads weight, you have no margin for safety or error. Russ

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:14 am

Thannks for all that. It all makes sense. And, while safety is safety and reality is reality, my intention was to flat tow this truck to local events on surface roads. A distance not to exceed 25 miles and a speed not t exceed 40 mph. Slow and steady. Not from one state to another via expressways or highways. And this would only be while the truck was not running and unable to drive itself, or if we wanted to take two vehicles to one event with limited amount of military vehicle drives.

But I appreciate your comments and concerns. all make sense.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:51 am

The Tow Vehicle should be at least twice the weight of the G-506 and then it will push you all over the place when decelerating and turning. G-506 is not a good candidate for casual flat towing.
A "Class A" Drivers licence may also be in order due to the combination of vehicles.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Jeff Jensen
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Jeff Jensen » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Robert
25 miles,Drive it,That's what keeps it alive.
I think anything towed over 1500 lbs has to have brakes and anything towed over 10,000 you need class A licences.
Make some ramps and haul your jeep around.
Jeff

560sec
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by 560sec » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Signsup. I bought three g506 trucks I have a little extra long car trailer with no brakes yes no brakes I put all three on the car trailer towed by my 2005 Chevy hd 2500 4x4 each tow was over 100 miles up and down hills no problem I have a six liter gas engine no diesel. All you have to do is drive do not tail gate do not speed use your head when driving take it easy and enjoy your shows I tow heavy cars all the time because I work for car collector Duesenburg Rolls Royce Bentleys big cars just take it easy and don't let these guys scare you.

560sec
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by 560sec » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 pm

You can rent a good car trailer that will have brakes if you want.

chevy43
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by chevy43 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 am

I built this one to tow home a Chevy bomb truck with my G7105 in 1985. Since then I've towed a bunch of WW2 trucks with it. Not sure why they weren't built this way by the military... It has forged eye bolts welded to the ends of the square steel tubing. You have to hold it vertically and roll it over the tow hooks to the horizontal position. As far as I know, I am the first to try this and it has worked great.
Attachments
small size.jpg
small size.jpg (230.89 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Small towbar.jpg
Small towbar.jpg (245.25 KiB) Viewed 760 times
'45MB. '43MB '43 Chevy 1 1/2 ton 4x4 pannel, '45 federal 7 1/2 ton 6X6 air field wrecker, DAF YA328 6x6 cargo w/winch, DAF YA328 Artillery tractor

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”