G506 series Winch recovery collateral tooling

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

G506 series Winch recovery collateral tooling

Post by pintelhook11over » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Hello everybody,

I was poking around the web looking for a WWII Snatch block for my G7117 and didn't really find much in the way of tooling/ collateral equipment info. I figured we could brain storm up the correct items for the G506/G508 series trucks.

I see there are tool kits that are supposed to be with the trucks as collateral equipment, but is there a list out there with a picture that shows the parts/ tools layed out at Parade Rest?

33rd Signal had dredged up some Outstanding photos of a few trucks recently, it looked like a 1/2 ton Dodge Ordinance repair truck and a CCKW with chains and tools, they were Awesome images! I haven't found a list of parts and haven't bought a ORD book with this data yet...

I see McKissick, Crosby, Skookum, B & L B, and a bunch of others. I just not sure if they are WWII manufacturers or later M-35 series collateral Gear.

I know Crosby has been around quite a while...seems like McKissisck has been around since 1925, Lebus since 1941, Crosby-Laughlin in 1836, Western in 1883 (Maybe they turned into Austin-Western?)

I have a very informative manual of field expedients and it refers to Girth hiches and chains for lifting/Jacking up trucks with timbers. I believe the chains are 16 foot long, and the have "D-ring or Tear drop" links at the ends to choke up the extra slack. But when sourcing good Grade 80 or greater chain it gets pricey, it is better to go with a known dimension when ordering chain. Last time I bought a good chain it was 5/16 (8 mm) @ 100 foot long and it $2.81 a foot. It is probably way more now, especially if you go to 1/2 inch or 5/8 chain. Buying too much chain can be pricey.
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Field SVC/GPS installer
Cat Main shop Mech

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: G506 series Winch recovery collateral tooling

Post by Fred Coldwell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Pintlehook11over:

I have no information on tools and equipment for the G506 series of Chevrolet trucks but I have researched similar questions for WW II MB jeeps and Dodges, so I'll share with you the approach I would use to answer your questions for the G506 series of trucks. Your G7117 is a 1942 truck, so I'll assume you want the tools and equipment issued for it in 1942, not necessarily those issued for G506 trucks later in the war.

First, I'd look in early war (1940-42) G506 Parts Lists for a list of the on board tools and equipment supplied with each truck. They may be listed by their Chevy part numbers, which likely will not help you identify the manufacturer of each tool or piece of equipment, such as a snatch block. Next look in early war G506 Maintenance Manuals for photos of the tools and equipment that may help you identify them by their shape and features. Scan those photos in high resolution (600 dpi) so they can be enlarged for detailed inspection.

In August 1942, Ordnance took over vehicle acquisition from the Quartermaster Corps (QMC), so the parts numbering scheme and source of tools and equipment began to change. So did the vehicle publications. ORD 9 Parts List do not contain or list tools and equipment. Instead, after mid-1943 they are found only in ORD 7s or in combined ORD 7-8-9 Parts Lists. For later war G506 tools and equipment info, you will need one or more ORD 7s.

A very useful document might be a 1943 dated list of G506 Organizational Spare Parts and Equipment (OSP&E) published by Ordnance before they were replaced by the ORD 7. The WC 3/4 ton Dodge (G502) OSP&E dated 8 June 1943 lists many manufacturers and their part numbers for the on-board tools and equipment, and identifies the snatch block as a Braden model BRA-MV2. Although I've been looking for one for years, I've never seen or heard of a snatch block with that Braden part number stamped into it. I suspect Braden might have obtained their snatch blocks from a subcontractor and that the blocks carried the subcontractor's name and/or part number, assuming either was on the snatch block itself and it was not wholly blank. I have bought a few coffin shaped snatch blocks that look like the BRA-MV2 as pictured in early war Dodge Maintenance Manuals, but I have no idea if they are absolutely correct. Nevertheless, they look close in appearance.

As an aside, Dodge changed the source of their snatch blocks around 1944, when they began using a round bodied snatch block made by the AC Division of General Motors. This round snatch block shows up in 1944 Dodge Maintenance Manual photos and is rather distinctive in appearance. I would not be surprised if Chevrolet supplied the same snatch block with their G506 trucks, although that is pure speculation on my part. After looking for two years, I found one on eBay and bought it for my 1945 Dodge T233 tool kit. Here it is pictured as "E" in ORD 7-8-9 G502 dated August 15, 1944:

ORD 7s generally will use Ordnance part numbers as opposed to Chevrolet part numbers to describe tools and equipment (T&E). This is helpful in identifying common tools also used in jeeps, Dodges and other MVs that might have been included in G506 truck tools kits. But the ORD 7s will not identify the tool manufacturer, and Ordnance may have used different sources for their replacement tools than Chevrolet did for the T&E supplied with their trucks from the factory.

Late 1940s and very early 1950s G506 ORD 7's might also contain detailed descriptions of T&E that can help you find the right sized snatch block. For example, the G502 ORD 7 dated April 1948 describes the late war Dodge snatch block as: "BLOCK, snatch, wire rope, steel shell, sgle. sheave, self locking, stiff swivel hook, 3/8 in. diam. of rope, cap. 10,000 lbs." When combined with the picture in that ORD 7, it readily identifies the correct Dodge late war snatch block. For you, the wire rope diameter and block capacity will help you identify the correct size early war snatch block for your 1942 G7117.

You will have to perform a bit of detective work before you can identify the correct snatch block and other equipment and tools for your 1942 G7117. Begin with 1940-42 G506 tool kit photos and track down the correct Chevrolet part number. Expand your search over 1943 and later G506 publications to gather more information and learn whether the factory-supplied snatch block changed during the war and to narrow your search.

With the help of other G506 owners on this subforum (or perhaps better yet, in a separate G506 thread on the G503 Tool and Equipment subforum where knowledgeable tool collectors can assist you), you can collectively combine your resources and begin to identify the correct T&E for factory supplied tools kits during WW II. I did a brief search on G053.com for prior postings about G506 tools and equipment and found only 1 relevant post by Robert Givens, which was quite narrow in scope. So now that you have progressed nicely with your G7117 restoration, perhaps you can spearhead the search for information identifying the correct T&E for the G506 trucks. It's a fun endeavor, especially when others contribute. Have fun and enjoy the search.
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”