G506 t-case detent balls and springs

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

G506 t-case detent balls and springs

Post by forestry4evr » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:40 am

Gentlemen,

If you recall back on December 20, 2015; within my "1942 Chevy G-7106 restoration" build thread I made mention of checking the compression of the transfer case shifter detent ball springs. The manual indicates an acceptable range of length under a specific load. Weak/broken springs will lead to a condition of the transfer case jumping out of gear. I thought I would extract this topic out of my build thread as I have noticed things like this get lost, and they are not searchable. For the faithful; brothers start your reading at the link below at the bottom of page 3 back in December 20, 2015...

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=264979&start=30

Jon took the bull by the horns and did a great job in measuring several commercially available springs that fit the detent bore. He even gave us all a little Christmas present by sharing data on Christmas eve of 2015...what a nice guy...

Recently I noticed that my 42 truck would sometimes begin to come out of low range when going up an incline in reverse. It was not a common occurrence but goosing the throttle just right, the t-case would come partially out of low range making an "abnormally" sounding gear mesh situation. It never popped completely out of gear, but it would move partially out of gear. The first plan of attack was to make certain that the lever arm links were adjusted correctly. After several test trials the lever arm links were adjusted adequately so that the interlink performed correctly, and neither of the levers hit the floor board within their perspective range of travel. The partial disengagement situation persisted... After reviewing the 2015 link above, I recalled Jon mentioning (and us talking about) using a longer spring retainer bolt to add greater tension on the detent ball. Last night I swapped out the original 7/16-14x5/8 detent spring retainer bolt and installed a 7/16-14x3/4 bolt and viola! No more coming out of gear. So easy even a child could do it! Of course one should check to make certain the spring is not broken (a common occurrence) and that the bore hole is not gummed up with 75 years of grime inhibited free movement of the ball (another common occurrence). I still would like to see the results of Jon's spring compression test when put in real world operation versus my "bubba" remedy.

Hope you enjoyed the story.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: G506 t-case detent balls and springs

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:36 am

Thanks Paul, for bringing that up. A couple of years ago my truck did that (pop out) and I remember mentioning that during the discussion of this topic.
Hasn't happened since, but I'm quite sure no crack mechanics took it upon themselves to remedy that unbeknownst to me, but rather the fact that little operation has occurred since. Procrastination has played a part, possibly :lol: as well.

And I did enjoy the story, especially the part about a child being able to do it. I'm going for it !!

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: G506 t-case detent balls and springs

Post by kelley » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:42 pm

I was just messing with those springs and balls on Friday afternoon, one of the springs was fine the other was broken. I replaced it with a die spring from Mcmaster Carr.
Thought this might be helpful...
T case rod adjustment.jpg
T case rod adjustment.jpg (108.7 KiB) Viewed 356 times
Kelley

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”