start restoration on 1 1/2 ton cargo truck

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
zackluis
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
start restoration on 1 1/2 ton cargo truck

Post by zackluis » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:15 pm

I just bought two trucks, one is a 4112 Y model and the other one is a 1942 G model. I just joined this forum, and read all the great information about these great trucks. Rebuilding the 235 engine and looking for a crank shaft cast number 839750. If anyone has this type of crank shaft and can be turned to .0010, or .0020, I would be interested in purchasing it. In the future messages I would include some of the pictures of the 1942 G model because that is the one I am trying to restore. Again thank you very much
This is a great source of information for somebody new to the hobby of restoring these vehicles!

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Re: start restoration on 1 1/2 ton cargo truck

Post by pintelhook11over » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:31 pm

Hello and Welcome to the "G"!

Congratulations on the "new" additions, and have fun with your trucks...one word of advise though, take as many pictures as you can. It is very easy to forget how things go back together, it helps to be mechanically inclined, but not a requirement. These old "War Horses" are great trucks to learn the principles of mechanical theory on, no computers, no smog requirements, just good old mechanical operation on scientific principles...

You will have ups and downs while in your project, but remember the final goal is to finish and drive the old Veteran.

It won't happen over night unless you have a large pocket of cash burning a hole in your pocket to pay someone else to wrench on your Chevy's, stay motivated and pace yourself. :D
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Field SVC/GPS installer
Cat Main shop Mech

zackluis
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by zackluis » Sun May 03, 2015 9:44 am

]Thank you for the words of encouragement! I figured Id enclosed some pictures of the old vehicles that I have bought. These are when I first purchased them. The 42 has been taken down to the frame and sand blasted. And the 41 I am going to use for parts, even thought a lot of these parts are civilian. My next post I will include the frame, springs transfer case and transmission completely rebuilt. Presently working on the 235 engine. Replacing crank shaft and machining the block.

Thank you very much for all the great information on this site.
Attachments
CCK3.jpg
CCK3.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
CCK!2.png
CCK!2.png (85.07 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

MGH
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by MGH » Sun May 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Would you happen to have a Hercules lift assembly for the dump truck?
MHassett
Bush, LA

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Sun May 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Please let me know if you find any hood numbers or serial numbers while you're working on your project(s). I have a database of trucks and their numbers and contracts and would like to add yours if thats ok. Welcome to the hobby and to the forum!
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

zackluis
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by zackluis » Tue May 30, 2017 4:06 pm

I finally got back to the chevy's and here is the info on the VIN #'s. The 1942-3? the number is 5NJ044342, could not identify the build date, too rusty. The 1941 is 2YP125543. Maybe you can tell me the build date. That would be great.

Thank you
Zack

zackluis
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by zackluis » Tue May 30, 2017 4:55 pm

I also just bought a 1 ton trailer G518 from Joe Hall up in Maine. The trailer is very complete and I am very happy with it. Now it comes the hard part which is to replace all the bad wood which is mostly plywood and rotten oak. Thanks to this forum I was able to get a lot of info on the type of lumber to use and the size, however I still need help in finding out the dimensions of the 3 wood frame rails. When I removed the wood (plywood) floor I found 5 frame rails, 2 steel and 3 wood. Just need the dim., height, length and width. Also on the sides and front wood panels near the top there are 3 pieces of wood that are installed to the top side panels and front panels with timber bolts. They seam to be around 8 feet in length (sides) 4 feet in length (front), 2 inches in width , 1 1/2 inches in height . This is only a guess don't know the right size. I welcome any info regarding the replacement of these wood panels and rails. I have all the ash needed to replace all the timber for this trailer. Local saw mill cut it for me at very good price. just need it to plane it to the right thickness (5/8 thick , tongue and groove)

Thank you
Zack

zackluis
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by zackluis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Looking for assistance in making the 3 wood frame rails for my G-518 wood trailer. Need the specs on the size of the wood rails to start working on the wood floor and sides.
Also anyone have any pictures of the helper spring stops for a 1942-43? chevy 1 1/2 truck . I have a 1943 set and would like to use rivets instead of bolts to install the 4 spring stops to the frame

Thank you
Zack

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”