Found another Chevy

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Found another Chevy

Post by kelley » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:12 pm

A couple of months ago I started to dabble with the door latches only to find out that the problems were a little more involved than I was ready to deal with at the time. This post is focusing on the passenger door, it is the more problematic of the 2. At first glance it doesn't look too bad, a new Escutcheon would cover everything.
Door handle hole.jpg
Door handle hole.jpg (56.95 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
upon closer inspection the door handle hole has been repaired sometime in the past and is off center. The horizontal and vertical lines represent the correct hole location.
Current holr location, Pass side.jpg
Current holr location, Pass side.jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
Here's what the inside looked like...
Inside pass door.jpg
Inside pass door.jpg (117.45 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
After looking at it for a while I thought the best approach was to cut it out and start over...
Door repair.jpg
Door repair.jpg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
Wish me luck...
Kelley

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:15 pm

I always had trouble welding thin sheet metal without buckling it, but I'm certain with your skills this will be a piece of cake. Looking forward to seeing the result.

John

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi John,
Butt welding light gauge sheet metal is a bitch for me too, I'm not really set up for it. The welding machine I used has .035 solid wire, not really ideal for sheet metal. I had some Escutcheon repair washers made up to correct the wallowed out hole.
Door handle repair collar.jpg
Door handle repair collar.jpg (52.17 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
I also had an alignment tool made up...
Alignment tool.jpg
Alignment tool.jpg (76.35 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
I cut a chunk out of a "parts'' door that had a slight arc to match the damaged area...
Donor door.jpg
Donor door.jpg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
It's best to widdle the patch down until it fits just right...
Door patch-1.jpg
Door patch-1.jpg (105.08 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
I just work my way around, not tacking it until the 2 faces are flush on the outside, It's not always pretty. Weld a little and let it cool to the touch.
Door patch.jpg
Door patch.jpg (112.97 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
Grinding and sanding can take a while too. Too much heat from grinding can also distort the steel.
Patched.jpg
Patched.jpg (94.56 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
The next step was to cut the hole for the repair washer, I used a 1-1/4'' hole saw.
Hole saw.jpg
Hole saw.jpg (103.33 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
Repair washer.jpg
Repair washer.jpg (88.14 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
All fixed.jpg
All fixed.jpg (62.79 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
I used a little JB Weld to fill the grooves in the door handles...
A dab of JB Weld.jpg
A dab of JB Weld.jpg (53.21 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
The handles are drooping because I Mis placed the springs, they'll turn up.
Last edited by kelley on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:22 pm

With door handle.jpg
With door handle.jpg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
Other side.jpg
Other side.jpg (84.89 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
Kelley

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Look at you go Jon. I swear, I am beginning to think that you could build an entirely new truck :o .
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:15 am

Jon,

Creative fix on the door handle. I was wondering if you were going to splice in new metal. So did the grommet fit well and does the door handle function as per original? How does the alignment tool locate the hole centerline?

I need to do the same repair on the passenger side of Gert...was hoping your remedy would be a little more basic. My door has been collecting dust in the shop waiting to see your fix.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:58 am

Thanks Guys,
Yes the grommet fits and the door handle works great, the latches needed to be loosened up but work well now. I think a dab of grease on the door handle from time to time would be a good idea.
The alignment tool keeps the I.D. of the repair washer centered on the 1/2'' hole that's inside of the door, I should have taken a pic of it in use.
The most difficult part was replacing the outer skin. I would highly recommend using .023 solid wire in your feeder, the .035 I used worked but was a PITA.
Kelley

cooler king
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cooler king » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:02 am

Do you prime and then seal the back sides of your welds when possible ? That step was suggested to me years ago by a retired body man. He Told me of vehicles that he has seen , that after a few years looked like patch work quilts from the rust coming threw the back side . I use 3m seam seal or Sem 29372 .

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi Cooler King,
I did shoot a little rattle can primer on the inside of the doors, admittedly a 1/2 Ass effort, I've also seen repairs rust around the perimeter where the welds are. IMO the cheapest, easiest way to keep vehicles from rusting is to spray them with oil on an annual basis. A $3 can of WD-40 once a year, sprayed in all the little nooks and crannies slows it down a lot. On a long enough time line, the truck WILL rust away.
Kelley

cooler king
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cooler king » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:14 pm

My eyes sure are not what they use to be. After grinding down sheet metal patches I recently started checking my work with a flashlight from the backside, sometimes see a few pin holes (porosity). They are not visible without the flashlight . Just looking threw reading glasses, or the cheater lenses in my welding helmet looks good to go.

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:39 pm

After grinding and sanding the pin holes become visible, I had to go over each door 2-3 times to get them all. The Flashlight is a good idea, I held the door up to the light. The pin holes really show up when it comes back from the sandblaster.
I need readers for everything, have not used a magnifier in my helmet yet, probably should.
Kelley

cooler king
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cooler king » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:00 pm

I try to stay away from harbor freight but they have a sand blaster gun that has a hose that you stick in a bucket of sand. Thought I would give it a shot it works. I just use it for spot blasting. rust pits, welds etc.

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:41 am

I'm not a big Harbor Freight guy either, but they have a store 1/2 mile from my shop. Thanks, I'll have to check it out.
Kelley

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:13 am

I'm not a big truck guy, really, but the skill and craftsmanship here is amazing. I do have a '37 Ford Commercial truck which will be a restoration/modification. I'm sure some of your tips will come in handy. I stole your vice pictures, I might build something similar! I have read this entire thread in 2 days...I probably should find some work to do! lol

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: central and north east Scotland, depending on the day

Post by Gordon_M » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 am

Here's the cheap fix of the day ...

Over the last seventy years or so, the hard cab GMC and Chevrolet door handles have all twisted slightly, resulting in that ugly droop you pictured even if the springs and latches are OK.

The cure ? just swap the drivers and passengers handles, side to side, takes a couple of minutes.

Of course in another seventy years or so you'll have to swap them back again ... :oops:
Gordon

1941 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Iron Fireman T-36 Snow Tractor
1986 Nolan Road/Rail trailer

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”