M715 Owners - How do you like your truck?

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Bob M.
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

M715 Owners - How do you like your truck?

Post by Bob M. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 am

I'm contemplating buying an M715. I've always thought they were neat-looking trucks, but have heard good and bad about them. I'd like to hear from some owners (past and present) about their experiences with them. I'm trying to decide if it would be a good truck for me, or if I should look for something else, like an M37. Thanks!

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: M715 Owners - How do you like your truck?

Post by Warren Duchesne » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:11 pm

I like my M715 and my M37 . They both have their good and bad points . Call me if you want the details , 318 343 5332. Warren

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:03 am

I recently had a chance to get up close and personel with an M715.
I saw several in Vietnam but they were just another vehicle churning up dust back then.
The one I had in the shop was a real macho machine. I liked it. It was turned over to a fire department in Mi. to use as a grass fire truck. At that time it was painted fire truck red. :shock: Had something to do with a Gov. program. Go Figure.
A guy in Mi. bought it from the fire dept. and put it back to it's original Vietnam O.D. configuration. Looked really good. My dog liked it too ! It was later bought buy a neighbor who brought it to me to work on.
It is not a vehicle to get in a hurry with. Do not know what the axle gear ratio. Not fast but you could pull tree stumps with it. And that was in high range.
The engine is a Jeep 230 Tornado. A single, chain driven overhead cam in-line 6 cylinder. I have ran into these in mid 70's in Jeep pick up trucks. Over all a pretty good engine but was not made very long and parts are scarce. The engine apparently had problems with the overhead valve train and this M715 did too.
The other reason this M715 was in my shop was brakes. Really straight forward design. 13 inch shoes with a single wheel cylinder. Easy to work on. Pull the wheel. Take out three flat head screws. Pull the drum and there was the brakes. Again finding parts has been the problem. Got a few leads on the internet and Joel ( Ben Dover) gave me some leads. I turned the parts search over to the owner with a list of contacts and so far he has not gotten back with me. He is a pretty busy fellow.
The drive train was huge. Heavy truck transmission and transfercase and the axles assemblies were a match.
All in all. I liked it. I got it it up and running but kind of hated to give it back. Me and my dog was having fun with it. :P
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

M-715 is an expensive MV to restore, parts are unique and very obsolete due to short military life. The GI 230 CID power plant is just enough different from the Civilian model which can lead to some frustration in locating GI parts including sheet metal. They were not as reliable as the M-37 they replaced. OEM radiators have been hard to find, the most common replacements for the past 30 years have been Korean replacements.
Many civilian users opt to install Chev 283 and 350 V-8's. Weebie did a neat GM-V-8 Diesel installation, it may have been a 6.2.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Between AB Linn , Vintage Power Wagon , E Bay , and Memphis Equipment I do not know of a single motor part that you can't get very reasonable . As far as the drive axels , transmission and transfer case parts they are very reasonable from the same suppliers . There are a few parts that are hard to find and a few very hard , just like most antique military vehicles . Also there are quite a good number of parts trucks setting around . Some folks do like to modify these trucks which usually means stripping a lot of the military parts and the motor , this makes for another good source and these parts are allready removed and usually very cheap . I have also bought a few parts at the local Jeep dealership to restore my M715 . Warren Duchesne

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:31 am

Hey I love mine parts are easy to find not sure what Joel is talking about. Original motors parts are everywhere now that Highland truck sold out.
Just saw a NOS crank on EBay. Mine had a Chevy v8 installed in it before I bought it and I love it. The Transmission is the T98 not hard to find parts for and the transfer is a M201 same as the M37 and parts are easy to find. My truck was shipped from Hawaii to Vietnam and then back to San Francisco with its unit. All the original marking are still on it including the two GI's names. 25th infantry Division, 725 support Battalion, Truck 35.
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:16 am

I never cared for the original motors, so I installed a 1989 Jeep 258 six cylinder, and drive mine 3-5 days a week.

Look around here: http://www.m715zone.com everything from restored to diesel powered.
Roy

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:24 am

The Marines got rid of most theirs early(after two years), many ended up with the National Guard and were disposed of as soon as the M-880 came in. Say what you want, but they are a dog. Sheet metal is expensive and unique to that type. Has anyone priced NOS M-715 Parts such as Tie Rod Ends, NOS Fuel Tanks, Spark Plug Wire Sets, Distributors, NOS Radiators or searched for a Winch Set up.
Note the comments are from those that have re-engined M-715's- there must have been a reason............ Not many seeking M-715's on G-503.
Roy and Dave, can you post a pic of your M-715's?
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:25 am

Biggest problem with the 230 tonado engine was the overhead valve train.
One single overhead chain driven cam. The head was a hemispherical design. Intake valves one the left drivers side, exhaust valves on the right. One cam lobe operates both valves for any given cylinder. Yes, only six cam lobes on the camshaft but twelve rocker arms, guide tabs and valves.
The big problem I keep coming across is one of the rocker arm guide plate tabs break off allowing that rocker arm to jump sideways off of the corresponding valve and you lose a cylinder.
Makes the engine something less than dependable and in a combat situation, dependable is good!
Otherwise, you are limping home.
Haven't ever seen where this has caused any serious damage. Just a pain in the butt to deal with.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:06 pm

Ben the m715 is not at all a dog . The truck is very well built . The parts you listed that you asked have you priced lately really makes no sense . Where do you purchase cheap priced NOS sheet metal , NOS fuel tanks , NOS plug wires ,NOS distributors , NOS radiators and winch set up for any other 40s 50s or 60s military vehicle ? I would really like to know . I would like to place a large order first thing in the morning . I own both the m715 and the M37 , they both have pros and cons . I still like my m37 better but the M715 has easier steering , better brakes , acceleration , and a better built bed and tailgate . The M37 has a much better ride and a lot of other things that are better but they are different vehicles . Like I said they both have pros and cons . They are both fun to drive and own . Warren Duchesne

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:03 pm

That's exactly what I was getting at, the M-715 parts that I mentioned are gold plated, and some are no longer available. The short M-715 production period lasted around 3 years, and they did not stay in the service very long. M-715 owners do not have the luxury of a vehicle such the M-37 that was made off and on for 18 years that had huge stores of parts. M-715 was an interim vehicle that bridged the gap between the M-37 and M-880. Highland truck was a Jeep authorized M-715 parts manufacture rat one time.. One has to search far and wide for M-715 parts coverage, surplus yards with salvage M-715's do not exist as did the yards that were full of salvage M-37's during the 50's thru 80's. One does not go to the NAPA store for the unique M-715 engine parts there are differences in the M-715 Tornado and the civilian tornado, Tie Rod Ends, Brake Shoes, Wheel Cylinders,Water pumps, etc. Have you priced a new set of GI Spark Plug Wires?
Been there done that with M-715's and their parts for over 35 years, it is a dinosaur.

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Every one of the parts Joel mentioned are available and cost no more than an M37 parts does. I just ordered a NOS fuel tank $300 and the radiator cores are still available I am actually going to use a Jeep radiator for the gladiator J2000/J3000.
There is no issue with the sheet metal I found hoods and fenders and there are plenty of patch panels. A friend of mine wanted to be able to lock his doors and the stock doors on a 5/4 does not have locks he just modified two civilian doors they are the same with only a slight difference.
There is write up on doing this on the M715 zone shows how easy it is.
The M715 is as easy to get parts for as a Dodge M880. Why because it was based on a Civilian design.
The overhead motor is a maintenance problem but if you buy all the parts for two or three rebuilds now and store them and read the manuals on the 715 zone including the Army Motors booklet on the issues with this truck you should be able to keep a M715 running for many years with the stock Tornado. There is a complete winch setup on eBay and Tony Linn has one frame extension for $25 on eBay the winch is the same as the M37.
Right now Tony Linn has all the axels fronts and rears complete on eBay at a fraction of what all the other MV are going for.
If you are going to collect parts add the one part that Joel failed to list that will be an issue someday and that's brake drums and spindles.
The wheel cylinders are still available and there is a work around Ford part that also fits.
We should be encouraging the collection of the M715 it is a part of the hobby just as is the CCKW that Joel sleeps with every night. :lol:
Here is my truck I have had M37's they are as Warren said a great truck also and I will say nothing bad about them either.
Attachments
my 715.jpg
my 715.jpg (243.59 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:54 am

Not quite so, David, my MB, M-38A1, a couple of M-37's, M-756, and M-1 Bomblift also comfort me, the Ben Hur 8) is also a good place to curl up in.

The M-37 makes a nice truck project. Anything you get will need years of not having upkeep which means brake cylinders, seals, wiring, upholstery and canvas. Best place to look is at the small back woodsy Volunteer Fire Departments for M-37's they are bidding off. They usually retire them when they require repairs to make them safe to drive, or need tires. Budgets are usually tight and the maintenance takes a back seat. One plus for a VFD vehicle is that they have been kept inside and sheet metal is nice.
I rescued an M-37 from a small town FD and have restored and enjoyed it for over 20 years.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:56 am

My, M-37 which was towed home from a volunteer fire department in shabby condition in 1989, torn down and serviced from bumper to bumper, restored, with winch added. took me three years. Nothing bad about an M-37, they are a nice time machine and a taste of the 50's Army.
Attachments
1958 M-37(2).jpg
1958 M-37(2).jpg (52.24 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
1958 M-37.jpg
1958 M-37.jpg (69.43 KiB) Viewed 2347 times

junkmaster
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by junkmaster » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:16 pm

I need a new fuel tank for my 715 project, any suggestions?
'42 GPW
'51 M-100
813-A1
'44 Ben Hur
'42 M3 Diamond T. USA#403005,ser.#1221roller
'68 M-101
'68 M-105
'44 M3A1 White, winch ser.# 283888
'67 M-715

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”