1941 Chevy G-4112 restoration

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: G-4112 restoration

Post by forestry4evr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:46 am

40 Chevy wrote:May I offer some advice, wear dark sunglasses at all times, even at night, as you have to look cool while driving your truck. Just saying...

John G
It's hard to not be cool when driving a WW2 vehicle!

Thanks for the kind words and hope you all enjoyed the ride.

I have yet another great WW2 "underground railroad" parts transfer story for you. Some months ago, a transfer case with matching casting numbers for my truck showed up on ebay. I watched the listing, but really didn't want to pay for the item and shipping as I had a decent functioning transfer case. When the case sold I felt some feelings of remorse thinking that I had missed an opportunity. Not long after, I was speaking to Phillip from Oklahoma and he stated that he had gotten the transfer case. Just last week, his parents were passing trough on their way to eastern NC and stopped by with a little present. Turns out we made a swap and both got t-cases with the appropriate casting dates we needed. Good things happen when you work at it a little.

After a little time cleaning, here is a nice 11/10/40 casting...a nice fit for my 2/41 truck

Closer up view of the casting

Nice cleaned-up 2/17/42 case now in Phillip's possession.

You all have fun out there,

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

motto
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by motto » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:39 am

Hi Paul
Was it empty cases that you swapped or complete assemblies?

David

phillip.w.givens
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by phillip.w.givens » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:01 pm

David

He got the case and all the upper input shaft with related parts to rebuild it to a t-case with out parking brake.

Phillip
1942 chevy G506
1942 G7113 Tractor

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:47 am

motto wrote:Hi Paul
Was it empty cases that you swapped or complete assemblies?

David
David,

Phillip set me up with the correct main shaft and associated gears to make a correct G4112 transfer case. The transfer case on the early trucks is like those used on pole setter and auger trucks having the parking brakes at the rear wheels versus at the transfer case output shaft on other G506 applications.

Does your truck still have the original transfer case and parking brake arrangement?

Paul

motto
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by motto » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:15 pm

Paul
Monty, having been built as an earth borer has the rear wheel parking brake setup.
The difference in the transfer cases is interesting and all to do with the main input shaft. The earth borer and associated winch are driven via the transfer case main input shaft which passes straight through the case and runs whenever the input is driven, even if the t/case is in neutral. The drive then goes into another gearbox below the winch that has forward, reverse and neutral selections. It's the neutral in this auxiliary gearbox that prevents operation of the winch and earth borer until it's wanted.
Fortunately for me the t/fer case seems quite ok apart from some oil leakage and its mounting is secure. I have the remains of another earth borer truck here but the t/fer case is so loose in its mounting you would think it was suspended on ropes.

David

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 am

Nice to see that work out for both of you, Paul. Just out of interest, what dates are on your transmission case/shifter top and the spare engine/head you bought to hold in reserve for this truck? That would be awesome if you were able to get your main drive components in close series.

John

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:01 am

42cargo wrote:Nice to see that work out for both of you, Paul. Just out of interest, what dates are on your transmission case/shifter top and the spare engine/head you bought to hold in reserve for this truck? That would be awesome if you were able to get your main drive components in close series.

John
John,

Good to hear from you. I hope all is well in the American Mesopotamia.

The t-case housing posted is actually from the same truck as my transmission, and they are both a close age match for my 41 truck. The engine/head I got from John in Canada is about 5 months too new, as they were from a ZP series truck.

If you come visit, we can go for a ride.

Paul

Roberto Amboni
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Roberto Amboni » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:33 am

Hi Paul.
My G7107 also has the battery under the floor, but unfortunately it no longer has the original support.
Do you have photos and measurements of the battery box?

Regards

Roberto
Roberto Amboni
Jeep Willys MB 1942 http://www.willysmb.com.br
Bantam T3 1945
Chevrolet G-4112 1 1/2 ton 1941
Criciuma - SC
Brasil

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:04 am

Roberto Amboni wrote:Hi Paul.
My G7107 also has the battery under the floor, but unfortunately it no longer has the original support.
Do you have photos and measurements of the battery box?

Regards

Roberto
Roberto,

I found a couple of images taken when the truck was under restoration. I hope these help. The under floor battery box is constructed of approximately 11 gauge x 1 inch band iron riveted to the frame side. It is the same as used on similar period civilian trucks.

Are you positive that your project had an under floor battery as only the late 1940 - early 1941 trucks used this configuration? Also I noticed you were inquiring about wiring harness junction boxes. Early trucks did not use any junction box as the harness is all one piece.

Hope I have helped more than confused.

Paul

Roberto Amboni
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Roberto Amboni » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:37 am

Paul,

Thanks for the photos. They were quite useful. Unfortunately I do not have any description in the truck to determine its date of production. Some features of it:
- Does not have the cut in the cabin for fuel filter.
- Support for the fuel filter in the engine compartment.
- The civil model panel, ashtray and finishing fillets.
- Does not have the light to illuminate the panel that is on the instruments.
- Military instrument panel (may have been placed at some time of his life in the US Army and Brazilian Army).
- The body of troops was made on 12.05.40

With your photos I realized that never get the battery under the floor. My truck has a hidrovac original Bendix. It came with a battery holder made with remains of a CCKW support (see viewtopic.php?f=25&t=161143&p=1249528&h ... o#p1249528

Regards

Roberto
Roberto Amboni
Jeep Willys MB 1942 http://www.willysmb.com.br
Bantam T3 1945
Chevrolet G-4112 1 1/2 ton 1941
Criciuma - SC
Brasil

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:49 am

Roberto,

I don't believe the first models of trucks (Y series) originally had hydrovacs. I don't recall if they were introduced with the Z series or the standard G series. It may have been added as part of a rebuild. The battery holder you showed does not appear to be for a Chevy.
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:41 am

Gentlemen,

Had Friday off so I took the opportunity to pay a visit to the old school auto parts store where for the last several years a few guys have been extremely patient helping me source odd/rare/unusual parts for my G4112 project "Audra". They had been asking to see the product they had helped me put together. When I drove up in front of the large plate glass windows of the building, I could see that everyone in the building turned to look at the truck. By the time I had turned off the engine, set the parking brake, and got out of the truck; virtually everyone in the building employees and customers came out to check out the truck. The smiles and accolades made all the restoration effort seem worthwhile. In the parts store, I could hear the phone ringing constantly but for a period of time the guys working there did not seem to notice as they were all focused on Audra.

Lately much of my free time has been focused around joy riding and shakedown runs but I did manage to get something done. I think it has been about a year since I made and painted the ash slats for the troop carrier seats and finally got around to installing them. The project took a little longer than I had anticipated, but I think the outcome was favorable.

Enjoy,

Paul

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:27 am

Paul, you have a Knights' work sir. I think that your attention to detail will go unmatched for some time. I mean, who really would think to "parallel" the nuts in the seat brackets? Not the factory.
Anyway Audra sure looks great, ATTA-BOY!!
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:03 am

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:17 am

The troop seats came out great, nice work! I'm sure those 2 dogs won't be getting a ride any time soon.
Kelley

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”