The unusually warm winter in Texas this year has enabled me to make some decent progress on my project.
I'm trying to work from the bow to the stern, sandblasting and priming parts as I go along. Those that don't need any welding repairs are getting a first coat of OD. The others will have to wait until I buy a welder and get 220 working in my shop, hopefully in the next month or so.
Today I got a bit sidetracked on dealing with a fuel line leak, but I was able to strip out all the windows in preparation for getting new glass.
This truck was really in great shape as far as rust when I got it, so the cab and associated parts are not going to need a whole bunch of work. The bed, on the other hand, has been badly dented over the years as is the nature of dump trucks. (The original cargo bed was straight as could be. That ended up going on a former auger truck in Utah.)
I toyed with following Dave's example and building a complete bed from scratch, but I decided to restore what I've got. The local sheet metal fabricator is bending some hat- and u-channels that I'll use to make all new stake pockets and he's also forming up some heavy gauge channel that I'm going to use to replace the outer lower rails on the bed. Those parts should be done in the next couple of weeks and I'll take photos as I start grafting them in.
I tore the 1944 235 down that I bought from BobC out in Arizona. It was as clean as could be inside. Machine shop boiled the block out and said the cylinders are all at original specs and the crank and cam shafts were likewise in good shape. That was great news.
Original F-marked toggle-style ignition switch for late-war GPW
Original F-marked bracket to hold battery in place and one J-bolt
Original F-marked front bumperG-506
Original pillow bearing for dump truck PTO driveshaft: