Cargo / Dump conversion project

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Moderator

Cargo / Dump conversion project

Postby 42cargo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:25 pm

The unusually warm winter in Texas this year has enabled me to make some decent progress on my project.

I'm trying to work from the bow to the stern, sandblasting and priming parts as I go along. Those that don't need any welding repairs are getting a first coat of OD. The others will have to wait until I buy a welder and get 220 working in my shop, hopefully in the next month or so.

Today I got a bit sidetracked on dealing with a fuel line leak, but I was able to strip out all the windows in preparation for getting new glass.

This truck was really in great shape as far as rust when I got it, so the cab and associated parts are not going to need a whole bunch of work. The bed, on the other hand, has been badly dented over the years as is the nature of dump trucks. (The original cargo bed was straight as could be. That ended up going on a former auger truck in Utah.)

I toyed with following Dave's example and building a complete bed from scratch, but I decided to restore what I've got. The local sheet metal fabricator is bending some hat- and u-channels that I'll use to make all new stake pockets and he's also forming up some heavy gauge channel that I'm going to use to replace the outer lower rails on the bed. Those parts should be done in the next couple of weeks and I'll take photos as I start grafting them in.

I tore the 1944 235 down that I bought from BobC out in Arizona. It was as clean as could be inside. Machine shop boiled the block out and said the cylinders are all at original specs and the crank and cam shafts were likewise in good shape. That was great news.

Driver side

Passenger side

Front clip

Window frames
Wanted
G-503
Original F-marked bracket to hold battery in place and one J-bolt
Original F-marked front bumper

G-506
Original pillow bearing for dump truck PTO driveshaft:
42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Cargo / Dump conversion project

Postby F. R. Fox » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Looking good, John! Can't wait to get mine to that stage! The warmer weather sure helps out. Are you using a sand blasting cabinet or are you doing larger parts with a mobile unit?
Farrell Fox
4th T.B. 4th Marines, Co. H&S
44MB European Return
44MZ-2 USMC Radio Jeep
43MBT Tac. Mark [523] U.S.M.C. 83371
42G506 1.5 ton U.S.A. 382479-S
41G518 Kelvinator Cargo trailer, U.S.A. W-026569
44G527 Ben-Hur Water Trailer, U.S.A. 0834819
44 M3A4 John Wood Hand Cart S.N. 31779
F. R. Fox
G-Major General
G-Major General

Postby 42cargo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:39 am

Hi Farrell,

Thanks for your note. I'm using one of Harbor Freight's portable units. Works great, except the ends on the deadman handles wear out quickly from sand hitting them when you go from on to off. The local outlet doesn't sell replacement parts, but the main distributor in California does, so I've got a bunch of those coming shortly. Once I change the ends, plus add a new porcelain tip, I should be good to go for a while longer.

We have a long weekend coming up at work, and if the weather's good, I'm hoping to get the cab all primed. That will be a major milestone.

John
Wanted
G-503

G-506
42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Postby 42cargo » Mon May 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Finally got my shop wired for 220 and have been using my welder to address stress cracks and holes in the truck.

I had the local sheet metal place fabricate some stock to use to repair the damaged sections of the bed. Made the first stake pocket and am pretty happy with the result.

Plan is to keep concentrating on the cab and getting that all primed, painted and reassembled. I'll then lift the bed off, clean up the chassis and axles, and set to work on welding new panels into the bed.

It's a ton of work (as you all know) and I had one of those "what the heck did I get myself into" moments this weekend. But I attached some of the front clip parts and that made me see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

The rate I'm going, I'm hoping to have this at a point where it's all painted and together by the end of the year. I'll then have to rewire it.

John
Wanted
G-503

G-506
42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Postby Sleeve » Tue May 22, 2012 7:09 am

It's looking great and is coming right along. I'm sure most of us can relate to those dark moments half way through a big project like this.

The civilian front end sheet metal on the truck was a very interesting , I've often wondered just how that would look.

-Mike-
1945 G7163 Earth Borer
Sleeve
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Postby wc56daveyboy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:23 am

Hi John... Nice BIG shop you got there to work on it!

If I had a garage/shop like this to store my completed Chevy, I wouldnt have ever sold it.
wc56daveyboy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Postby 42cargo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks, Dave. It sure is a change from when I was living in Los Angeles and either had my stuff outside or in one half of a two-car garage.

Funny thing though, the larger space has not made me work any faster!

John
Wanted
G-503

G-506
42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Return to Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton