SNL G506, Truck 1.5 Ton 4x4, unit 389946, 1 ea.

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Re: SNL G506, Truck 1.5 Ton 4x4, unit 389946, 1 ea.

Post by pintelhook11over » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Thanks guys :D

Got a good amount of labor into the old girl, its a fine old piece of American Iron!

Yeah, that front bumper has seen better days... It could definitely use some good metal worker hands on it for sure! My plan is to "Massage" it back into shape with a 8 lb/20 lb beatin' iron and warm it up with a Rose bud the secure the chassis to the hay barn piling and help it along with a come-a long and some "F" clamps to kinda improvise a temporary reinforcement plate to make the non-supported metal yield to the tension from the pulling with the come a long.

Who ever had it before me definitely "Exceeded Manufacturers Specifications" pushing on stuff! :lol:

Here are some pic's of the right front drum/spindle seal and how much I thumped it in below the top edge of the hub, some roughed up steering drag link bits and pieces, a new neoprene rear hub seal compared to a worn leather axle flange unit and the trans/PTO installed onto the bell housing.

The Hub seal already had the score marks on them so they may be from another application and the previous owner just threw them in. The R/F was dragging on the back side of the spindle like I thought, you can see smeared grease on the flat thrust surface.

The steering drag link was messed up more than I thought it was going to be. I took 2 drag links apart trying to make one and 3 of 4 springs were broken! They seem to be the same parts but different orientation from the axle side and the pitman arm sides of the drag link, so keep a close eye on them for mis-assembly and broken parts. The spherical cups were chipped on a few too, and one poppet by the springs was bent. Probably from side loading and incorrect assembly. And I was thinking there was no bad "Ju-Ju" going on in that simple thing. You can also notice the grease zerks are positioned at different points on each side, the axle side has grease installed in between the spherical cups, the pitman arm side has grease come up from behind the inner spring through the small hole to one side of the spherical cup.

The rear Leather axle seals were pretty worn down, I would say at least 1/4 inch (6.35 mm)

Ah, and my dad and I wrestled the trans back in and then made the oil compartments wet with 90 W oil! It Is getting closer and closer to gear grinding time!!! I have to install my replacement brake lines and bleed the brakes, transfer over the pinion seal onto the rear replacement diff and then It will be time for a Put-Put!

OH, yeah forgot to bring up if you guys are having a hard time uploading photos into the surface zero site? It seems like 80% of mine are having errors while trying to upload the past few days..

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Field SVC/GPS installer
Cat Main shop Mech

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:27 am

Cody, your 1st. photo and beginning of this thread was 10-10-10. Oct. will be here in a few days. For juggling Wife, Daughter, work and other family stuff, you have made great progress. It won't be long now before your Ole Gal is burnin' up the road. I still have the video on my LG decoy phone from the day you parked her next to the hay barn. I gotta figure out to get it off there and get it on You Tube. It would be a great addition to this thread.
Don't you think?
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:32 pm

That would be cool!

You'll have to export it from a data cable. Sometimes the data transfer cables are the charging cables with a USB to Mini/micro USB, then upload to P.C., then probably into a folder on the desktop and finally send it as an Attachment...unless you figure out how to upload it from your phone right onto your P.C.

I totally remember that! There was no floor board and the exhaust was rotted away and there was only like the first 1-2 feet of header.
Man, talk about your years worth of carbon monoxide in one dose. The exhaust smoke went right into the cab while I was grinding 1st and 2nd gear in the back! :lol:

No brakes, no exaust system, no seats...No Problem! That backyard "Put-Put" was total motivation for me to get her back road worthy :P

That was the last time or I should say the only time I ever drove her under her own power.
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:21 am

So far I haven't needed to have an "A-dapter Kit"... :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-_syszg84
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:01 pm

Hoo-Rah!!! First film of it since it was taken apart.

Finally drove the old "War Horse" for the first time in a long time! It is running on battery power only, so Its battery is at a marginal state of charge. I was putting my 6VDC charger on it, but it only charges it to 6 volts instead of 7 or 8 volts of a n actual operating charging system...I stalled it after shifting and it wouldn't quite roll over and fire back up. I gave it a quick 12 VDC and it fired back up. It just has an alligator clip for a hot wire to the distributor.

It still was a great morale booster to drive the truck, it is an oustanding feeling puting hands on something that old and learning all the sounds, vibrations and quirks of how to operate it. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxrdU_Yi7Kk
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:38 pm

I ended up pullin' an "All Nighter" Saturday/Sunday . When everyone racked out at my house @ 2200 I thought," I need to drive that thing." So, I mounted up drove over to the truck and commenced to wrenchin'! I ended up bailing out back home at 0830.

I had other stuff going on at home, so I couldn't go during daylight hours and spend enough labor hours to carry out the tasking I wanted to do. While I was there I ended up Making some "Cuppa Joe" with my G.I. pocket stove and swapped the rear diff yolk/ Pinion seal retainer onto the replacement rear diff, putting the drag link together with some serviceable springs, installed the clutch fork ball retaining clip (what a pain while the trans is installed), installed the stainless brake lines w/ 3 rubber lines and installed the toe board and throttle linkage.

I didn't have anybody available to help pump/bleed the brakes, so I was only using the E-brake to stop. It was a little harder to film and steer than I thought it was going to be...one hand steering is challenging when trying to hold a camera steady. They ain't the best films, but I figured you guys may get a kick out of it.

It sure had me grinnin' ear to ear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEbo8hB ... e=youtu.be
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:36 am

Congratulations! It sounds and looks great.

John

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Great job Cody,
At this point in my life pulling an all nighter usually means I ate the wrong thing, or too much of the right thing for dinner :oops: . Very inspirational post, congratulations for getting it done.
Kelley

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Got a chance to tinker and was working on the charging system. I used the 6 VDC battery to "Motor" the battery without the belt and a jumper wire from the Arm and FLD terminals. Next I checked the amperage draw from the battery, the TM states it should draw 4-6 amps while motoring and it was about 5 amps, then re-installed the belt to check the voltage output with the jumper wire installed on the "ARM/FLD" terminals at Idle, rev'ved up some to verify it goes to a higher voltage and then back down to idle, eventually found it was generating to about 7.15 VDC after poking at the amperage/Voltage relays in the regulator.

I polarized the generator by momentarily touching the "Battery and Field" terminals on the regulator. It is interesting to watch the cut out relay points on the regulator open and close while messing with the other 2 relays... the cut out relay pulls in more and more until the other 2 relays drop out the circuit and it stops charging. About the time I got to checking the regulator output to the battery my multi-meter battery went dead.

I bled the brakes, tightened the rear wheels and installed the outer rear wheels too. Now I have a functioning power train! The brakes have a solid pedal, but I think the shoes need to be tightened up some I have to pump the pedal 2-3 times to have a high/ solid brake pedal. It might be a bit of air in the lines too.

I was also wondering if anybody remembers who was making those transmission to floorboard filler gaskets a long while back, I wanted to get one, but was nowhere ready to install one until now. I also included a photo for those who didn't know the old dual wheel trick, you can use the inner rear wheel to jack up the outer rear wheel for removal without a jack.

Oh and I believe I had the terminals to the amp meter backwards, I had the regulator side of the wire on the negative graduations on the guage and the positive side of the guage on the battery side of the other wire and clipped onto the starter cable. It seemed to be charging to the 7.15 volts on the battery terminal of the regulator, but the needle was going into the negative side of the guage. I swapped the terminals on the guage and It would then swing into the positive on the guage when the voltage went above 6 volts.

I got to do some gear jammin' in the back yard! I could only get it into 2nd while in high range on the T-case, so I shifted it into low range and then got to shift into all 4 gears. It is a long throw to go from 2nd to 3rd gear... I was grinding the gears pretty good when downshifting from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd. Up shifting doesn't seem too terribly bad, but the downshifting I have to practice that rev up before the down shift.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:31 pm

When polarizing the charging system it's Battery and Armature on the regulator Cody, remember what we talked about? Field is grounded to the engine. I wish I had been there to see the maiden voyage around Alpha Co. Congrats brother on finally being able to operate your rig!!
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:47 pm

Kelley

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:50 am

Thanks for your post, Cody. The truck is really shaping up.

From my experience, those rubber ones for the civilian trucks don't fit on the military. Again, this is just from my experience, so others might have had success, but despite extensive trimming, I still couldn't make it fit. Nor did I find reference to it in the parts manual.

That said, if you look carefully around the raised lip where this insulator goes, you should see either the remnants of staples or holes for them. Those are there to hold a canvas insulator in. Mike from the halftrack section of the site was making these at one time. They comprised of a piece of stiff cardboard sewn in between two layers of OD canvas. The inner circle had a piece of welting stitched into it. I tried to find a photo of mine when I installed this piece in my truck, but to no avail.

Try reaching out to Kirk or Farrell to see if they are making these.

Hope that helps.

John

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:23 pm

Sorry Cody,
John is correct, the one I posted is way too small. Please let us know if and where you find one.
Kelley

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:09 pm

Got to tinker some last weekend, when my "A" driver and I were test driving the truck I hooked up the speedo for the first time since It was rebuilt. So I have "Started the clock" so to say...

We went up and down the service road a few times, the first time I stalled it and managed to start it again and get back to the shop, but it stalled and I could never get it to start again. Changed the points and ended up finding out I ran it out of fuel! Duh! Total OPERATOR ERROR!

I tested the sending unit while I had it out to check the fuel level and it was bad, it had "O.L" or and open circuit the whole range of movement for the float, OHhhh No....

Here is a quick film test driving again. I have no Idea why it is rotated to the side... went from 1st to 4th. The speedo said 25 MPH (40 Kph)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKxRvJZnME8

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by pintelhook11over on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 pm

Quite a long time ago when I had the fuel tank out of the frame rails I thoroughly steamed it at work and it still has fine debris in it. I guess that is to be expected for being in service for 74 years...I must have been hiding behind the baffling inside the tank.

I cleaned the fuel filter base extremely well about the same time I was working with the fuel tank. I pulled this grit out of the fuel strainer base on the right side frame rail, it had collected in the bottom of the removable bowl.

I had the top cover off the W-1 carb body trying to troubleshoot low manifold vacuume/ no accelerator pump fuel discharge and there was ultra fine grit in the bottom of the fuel bowl too.

It got in there somehow, it must have been breaking free from the fuel lines themselves possibly.

ImageImage
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”