Halftrack electric fuel pump

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

autocar925
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Halftrack electric fuel pump

Post by autocar925 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:40 am

Leaving a car show, the fuel pump died, leaving me stranded. I'm presuming the diaphragm ripped. If I install an electric pump in line with the mechanical fuel pump so that it pumps fuel thru the mechanical, does anyone know if fuel will go thru the diaphragm and contaminate the engine oil?

SURPDLR
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Halftrack electric fuel pump

Post by SURPDLR » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:43 am

Yes, I would suspect that IF the Diaphragm is ripped, you will will feed fuel into the oil!

Back when I had fuel tank problems, I ran off of a 5 gal. GI fuel can with a generator pickup in the can, mounted in the drivers side fuel can rack. Used a block of wood to hold the hood up a bit. I was using the fuel pump, since mine worked, but hooking that pick up line on the other side of the fuel pump, with an electric pump tied in should be simple.
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES
WRIGHTSVILLE PA
717-252-4489

INDIAN 741
INDIAN 841
MATCHLESS G3
MATCHLESS G3L
AND SEVERAL OTHER WHEELED AND TRACKED TOYS!!

MVPA #1833
IMPS #1726
MVT #9362

Spec4Don
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Spec4Don » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:16 am

Just a reminder, if you remove the mechanical pump and go to electric only be sure and leave the push rod in place or you will loose your oil psi. There have been several posts on this. You could leave the pump in place and bypass it temporarily. Steve A turned me on to a place called Then and Now that does a great job rebuilding pumps and carbs.

Don G
1942 M3 Halftrack Zelda MVPA # 31688
Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
Letorneau Model D-4 Airborne Scraper

autocar925

Post by autocar925 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm aware of Then and Now. I bought their kits and rebuilt the pump and carb a few years ago and they worked well. Thanks for the reminder of the pump shaft. I'm a fan of mechanical parts as opposed to electrical, so I want to keep the mechanical pump. I thought I would put the electric in series for priming or as a backup to a mechanical failure. In general, when an electrical parts fails, it goes instantly, whereas a mechanical device usually starts showing signs in advance so you can do something about it.

That being said, there can be fluke mechanical failures, such as what happened to me. Took the pump off and found the pump arm pivot shaft sticking out. The flimsy "C" clip fell off and the shaft worked it's way out. Am replacing both of the clips with "E" clips that are more solid.
Attachments
E clip.jpg
E clip.jpg (35.53 KiB) Viewed 513 times
C clip.jpg
C clip.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 513 times
halftrack pump 2.jpg
halftrack pump 2.jpg (42.71 KiB) Viewed 513 times
halftrack pump 1.jpg
halftrack pump 1.jpg (43.61 KiB) Viewed 513 times

SURPDLR
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by SURPDLR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:20 am

autocar925 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 pm
I thought I would put the electric in series for priming or as a backup to a mechanical failure. In general, when an electrical parts fails, it goes instantly, whereas a mechanical device usually starts showing signs in advance so you can do something about it.
FYI, Years ago with a WC52 I did the same thing for an "anti Vapor lock" boost pump. Over about a 1-2 year period the truck started running worse and worse... Turned out the electric fuel pump acted as a water trap until it filled completely up, then it started passing water to the fuel filter and Carb... Removed electric pump, and all problems went away.... Go figure. My take on that is the electric pumps do not like to just sit and do nothing with fuel passing through them.....
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES
WRIGHTSVILLE PA
717-252-4489

INDIAN 741
INDIAN 841
MATCHLESS G3
MATCHLESS G3L
AND SEVERAL OTHER WHEELED AND TRACKED TOYS!!

MVPA #1833
IMPS #1726
MVT #9362

Return to “Tracked”