I need help identifying a halftrack

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

BDK
G-Private
G-Private
I need help identifying a halftrack

Post by BDK » Fri May 12, 2017 7:29 am

i work for a car dealership in ohio. we recently acquired a half track (very long story) i was told that i need to find out as much information as possible. I need help identifying what year, make, model, purpose, this half track had. i have no idea where to look for serial numbers. there is no plates on the dash or any visible on the vehicle. i was hoping somebody might know a little more about these than i do...lol i have attached a photo so you could see what it looks like. please feel free to tell me where to look for this info and or how to read it. Im hoping that somebody could steer me in the right direction. The half track has been restored and i am not sure how accurately it was done. we are planning on selling it but i need to find out more about it so i dont try to sell it for way more than its worth or take way less than i should for it. it does run and drive and i will be able to respond to any questions in a timely manner if you need me to send photos of a certain area of the vehicle, please be specific so that i dont have to send them more than once. thank you in advance to whoever is able to help me with this.
Attachments
ht001.jpg
ht001.jpg (120.12 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Last edited by BDK on Fri May 12, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neil halliday
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: I need help identifying a halftrack

Post by neil halliday » Fri May 12, 2017 10:01 am

It looks like an early M2 model judging by the long, narrow track tensioning spring under the rear of the vehicle and the large fender mounted headlights in the photo. M2's were called halftrack cars and were used mostly as prime movers. There should be a number stamped into the side of the frame rail between the front axle and bumper. You can reference this site to verify the make (based on the height of the letters) and the model/ date. The rear armor plate on the side where the star is painted appears to be homemade since the original would have been made out of (4) individual pieces of plate and this looks like (1) piece. A photo of the dash, rear section and both sides of the engine would be helpful in providing more info.
evil men prevail when good men do nothing! 194? m2a1 white halftrack

steveo916
G-Major
G-Major

Post by steveo916 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:42 am

I don't think your registration number is correct.
this m16 has the same one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/butylman/1520509833/
m16 halftrack

Goranwc51
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Goranwc51 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:54 am

The rear bodywork just doesn't seem right.

To me it looks as it most probably was home made, using photographs as a guide.
halftrackm3a1side.jpg
halftrackm3a1side.jpg (208.46 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
There are no counter sunk screws holding the side plates in place, the sides are completely smooth, for example. Photos from the inside of the rear body could help in identifying what it may have started out life as.

Most halftracks found, especially in the US, seem to be mssing the rear bodywork. Nowadays it's possible to buy replica body panels that are very accurate and very good value.

Goran N

steveo916
G-Major
G-Major

Post by steveo916 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:25 pm

I agree the rear armor is a poor reproduction.

you are unlikely to find someone on this site willing to spend much on it because they would view it as missing the rear armor.

but the biggest spenders for halftracks usually don't know what they are buying and just see a complete looking halftrack and that is what they want.
you may get someone to pay $20,000 maybe more if electrical, engine, tracks are in good shape.
m16 halftrack

Cal.Bar
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Cal.Bar » Fri May 12, 2017 12:33 pm

steveo916 wrote:I agree the rear armor is a poor reproduction.

you are unlikely to find someone on this site willing to spend much on it because they would view it as missing the rear armor.

but the biggest spenders for halftracks usually don't know what they are buying and just see a complete looking halftrack and that is what they want.
you may get someone to pay $20,000 maybe more if electrical, engine, tracks are in good shape.

LOL $20K, I've seen rusted HULKS go for half of that. If it's been fully restored, and just needs new (correct) rear armor, It should fetch upwards of $20-30K, but..... you will get all the info you need from the experts over on the half track board.
http://halftrackinfo.com/index.php
head over there and ask away.

neil halliday
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by neil halliday » Fri May 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Just noticed there's no hardware on the door upper half or tie downs anywhere! For the right price it could be a good deal? Does the "lemon law" apply to halftracks?
evil men prevail when good men do nothing! 194? m2a1 white halftrack

hummermark

Post by hummermark » Fri May 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Frount wheels are wrong should have combat rims looks like m series rims.
M1030M1 JP8 diesel
2008 M1113 Humvee
Cushman 53
M10 Achilles
M274 A2 Mule
Matchless g3l
1944 WLA
M1030 KLR 650
Gpa

BDK
G-Private
G-Private

Post by BDK » Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

steveo916 wrote:I don't think your registration number is correct.
this m16 has the same one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/butylman/1520509833/

I sorta figured that, I did say that I was not sure how accurately the restoration was done. aside from the number painted on the side, it there anything that you can tell me as to where on the vehicle i could find original serial numbers?

BDK
G-Private
G-Private

Post by BDK » Fri May 12, 2017 1:04 pm

neil halliday wrote:It looks like an early M2 model judging by the long, narrow track tensioning spring under the rear of the vehicle and the large fender mounted headlights in the photo. M2's were called halftrack cars and were used mostly as prime movers. There should be a number stamped into the side of the frame rail between the front axle and bumper. You can reference this site to verify the make (based on the height of the letters) and the model/ date. The rear armor plate on the side where the star is painted appears to be homemade since the original would have been made out of (4) individual pieces of plate and this looks like (1) piece. A photo of the dash, rear section and both sides of the engine would be helpful in providing more info.

I will have some more photos next week for you to take a look at, is there a specific area of the dash you need to see? I have not been able to find a "data plate" or anything resembling that yet. Thanks for the tip on the frame rail tho, i will be looking for that. i will send you a photo of it if i can find that. Thanks again for your help

steveo916
G-Major
G-Major

Post by steveo916 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:27 pm

if yours was converted from m2 to the m2a1 they stamped the hood number in the bogie casting

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/IMG_03813.JPG

behind the drivers side tire the frame is stamped with a serial number
m16 halftrack

clintm20
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by clintm20 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:14 pm

The serial number of the chassis is stamped on the frame behind the drivers side front shock mount. If it starts with the number 2 it was made by White in Cleveland, Ohio. If the serial number looks like M2-xxxx it was made by AutoCar in Ardmore, PA. You might find the original US Army registration number stamped on the front bumper below the radiator louvers. What does the inside rear body look like? If the original floor configuration is still intact that is a big plus. If it's just a big sheet of diamond plate back there (or plywood) not so much. Having said that I've personally seen two halftracks with plywood rear floors sell for 30k plus which is pretty crazy. They looked pretty good from 20 ft. like this one, and ran and drove.
Green Trucks and High Tides Forever

Diamond T M3 Half-track Serial # M32971 USA 4045956
Autocar M3A1 Half-track Serial # M3A1-47825 USA 4053835
Autocar M16A1 Half-track Serial # M15A1-1945 USA 40150662

BDK
G-Private
G-Private

Post by BDK » Fri May 12, 2017 4:32 pm

clintm20 wrote:The serial number of the chassis is stamped on the frame behind the drivers side front shock mount. If it starts with the number 2 it was made by White in Cleveland, Ohio. If the serial number looks like M2-xxxx it was made by AutoCar in Ardmore, PA. You might find the original US Army registration number stamped on the front bumper below the radiator louvers. What does the inside rear body look like? If the original floor configuration is still intact that is a big plus. If it's just a big sheet of diamond plate back there (or plywood) not so much. Having said that I've personally seen two halftracks with plywood rear floors sell for 30k plus which is pretty crazy. They looked pretty good from 20 ft. like this one, and ran and drove.

Excellent! thank you very much for that info, when i get back to the office i will have another look and post pictures so you can see more!

G102
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by G102 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Call GARYS half track parts.
I have been in the business for 40 years.
Sold over 250 half tea is in my life time. I need to see enough pictures inside and out, top to bottom.

I may have a buyer for you.

Call Gary
630-257-1100
E mail pictures to
GARY@HALFTRACKS.COM

Return to “Tracked”