M2A1 Front End and Engine Rebuild

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Re: M2A1 Front End and Engine Rebuild

Post by steve1973 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:26 pm

I made a lot of progress in the last three weeks. I turned the front half of my shop into a paint booth and am turning out 1 to 2 batches of painted parts a week. I have also taken three truck loads of parts to get sand blasted and now awaiting paint.

I have re installed most of the components back on the frame and touched up painting the bolts. One upgrade I did was install a later brake/clutch peddle assembly that omits all the old brake monkey motion. I had new brake lines made and installed. Lastly, I started to install my new wiring harness from Vintage Wiring of Maine. This is a must have for any restoration but is a whopping $1400 for the harness. Well worth the price though.

Everything was going great. I got word my engine will be ready soon as my mechanic was finishing up installing all the external stuff. The next day I got some bad news. While installing the intake/exhaust manifold assembly on end broke off while snugging up the bolts. OUCH!!!

Good news, I have a new end on the way thanks to Gary. The other good news is my engine was delivered on Friday and looks great.

I have a few more things to do on the front frame like securing the wiring and install a few more pieces then the engine will be ready to go in. I’m awaiting for another shipment of parts from Kevin and then it will be ready to install. Next Tuesday I get my transmission/transfer case back. I need to mock that up to the engine then do some massaging on the bell housing where the U-joint for the PTO hits to create clearance. Once this is done the assembly can be re installed.

Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Lots of work has been done since my last post. First thing is I needed to fix a clearance problem with my PTO driveline. I had someone come out from a driveline shop and it was determined that shaving a little off of the U-joint corners would do the trick.

Next item on the list to complete was the wiring and replace the fuel line from the fuel block to the filter. I ended up taking a shower in gas on that one. Yes, I did drain the gas tank with the help of Don. If I remember correctly it was below the fuel pick up line. A good two gallons came out. What a mess. After that was cleaned up I installed the new line and then moved on to the wiring. I got as much as I could done with in the frame until the cowling gets reinstalled. One thing I can't stress enough is to take lots of photos when dismantling your halftrack. I took many photos of the wiring, brake and fuel line routs in the frame. This made an easier job when reinstalling new stuff.

Next item was to paint the transmission and PTO before installation.

Sunday was a big day. Engine install day!! ;D I had the engine in by 10 am and the rest of the day spent getting ready for the transmission install on Monday.

Installing the clutch was the first order of the day. No problem their or so I thought. Once installed I went to remove the pilot tool, spare input shaft, and I hear a thud. I tried to reinstall the tool and would not go in. the clutch plate dropped due to no pressure on it. I ended up adjusting the clutch by turning the adjustment clockwise until I had pressure on the disc to hold it in place. Once that was done it was time to install the transmission. Well, the tranny was stubborn and did not go in easy. I ended up using a hydraulic jack between both driveline mounting flanges to push it in gently. I did go in and everything seems to be ok. Big thanks to my Dad and another friend for their help in this. Here is the end product of the day.

The next step is to adjust the clutch properly and install the radiator.

Steve A.

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:47 am

Awesome work Steve.
Thanks for the pics
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:40 pm

Made some more progress. Working on cleaning parts ready for paint. These are some of the small detail pieces. Sandblasting is time consuming isn't it. but when done it makes a great start for new paint. I also have a large parts wash tank and vibratory tumbler which does a fantastic job of cleaning bolts. Here are some of my results.

At the same time I'm starting to disassemble the dash and cowling. I just need my helper to finish it up.

I'm hoping that I can finish this up by the end of the week if my helper has time. ;)

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:12 am

Well, I got busy with work again since my last post and a cold but got a lot done in the past few weeks. I was able to finish stripping the firewall/cowling to get ready for disassembly. Another good friend Steve J. helped me with that.

I also got another batch of parts painted.

Here are a few detail photos of the rigid vacuum line and oil gauge lines. I recall someone asking for these in the past.

My breather for the hydrovac on my halftrack is tucked up underneath the dash. When I removed it I tilted it over and a bunch of oil came out. Does anyone know if this is a oil bath air cleaner and does it come apart?

We got everything removed and now ready for Don and I to disassemble. We did this last Monday and took everything to the sand blasters on Tuesday.

By then I got another cold and have been sick ever since. I'm over my fever now and starting to feel a little better now and hope to get back at it on Monday.

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:13 am

Made some more progress this week. It's all about sand blasting and painting for a while. I should be able to re assemble the firewall and cowling by Friday. I will be painting the windshield frame and top cowl piece today. Don has my dash and is going to remove the bolts we drilled out. That is after he gets over the cold I gave him, sorry Don. :-[

Steve A.

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 pm

I've been working hard the last three days at my shop. here is some of my progress.

Cowl/firewall section going back together.

Another batch of parts being painted. Doing a lot of cleaning, sand blasting and painting now.

Getting my e-break ready to install. I also need to install the PTO. That will get done in the next few days I hope.

Doing some repair work on the dash before painting I hope to reassemble the dash next Monday. I also need to replace two windshield retaining studs. I will be doing that tomorrow.

Steve A.

Tapper02
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Tapper02 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:25 am

Looking good Steve! Bet you can't wait to get it all back in one piece.

-Tom
1944 Autocar M3A1 Halftrack
1944 Schelm Bros. M10 Ammunition Trailer

MVPA # 30507

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:48 am

One thing to note. As I've been sandblasting parts I've been looking at the stamp on all the original parts. I know by the frame number it is a White unfortunately I don't have the original data plate. that is the biggest bummer. What I have noticed are the marking for the armor plate manufacture. Majority of the symbols are square, according to Kevin, are White. I have also found a lot of Diamonds which I think id Diamond-T and keystones which must be Autocar. All this armor is from cab forward and when disassembled looked to be all original fasteners, never touched in many years. My thought it must have gone through a rebuild and when they disassemble the vehicle all the parts go in like piles for inspection, cleaned and put back out for reassemble with the first piece going to witch ever vehicle needs the part. Not manufacturer specific. I have also notice some small cracks in the armor in at least 3-4 pieces so far. Paint hid them well.

Today's list of things to do:
1. repair and paint the dash - Most important thing today
2. repair windshield frame
3. pain another batch of parts
4. bead blast small parts
5. put PTO back on transmission

I hope to get most of this done today.

Steve A.

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:23 am

Been busy the past week. The dash and windshield frame are both repaired and painted.

I did get the PTO mounted back on the transmission and decided to fill with gear oil. I tried using a pail pump from Harbor Freight. That was a bust as the tubing ruptured and oil went everywhere. There are some things not to get at harbor Freight and this is one of them.

I ended up taking that back and getting a better hand pump at a farm store. I will be using this today.

Got more parts painted and now running out of space to store the finished parts.

Now the fun part. I get to put stuff back together. I reassembled the floor vents and the radiator armor. One louver is missing as I needed to do some body work on it. It was very pitted so some body filler was used and will be painted today.

Starting to get parts laid out to do back on the dash and firewall.

As far as the ignition system goes I'm making a few changes for the better I think. All this stems from my experience with old Chevy trucks. I still have my 1951 Chevy that I need to finish some day. here is my list of changes.

1. Add a pertronix unit to replace the points and condenser. This was done several years ago and works great.

2 Add a multi spark ignition module. This will be hidden in the original coil box. this will give multiple sparks per cycle instead of just one. it should help starting, idling and prevent plugs from fouling.

3. Add a vacuum advance unit to the distributor. This is a factory bolt on item that Chevy used on its six cylinder engines using a similar distributor. I only need to machine an 1/8" from the base.
4. Change the air cleaner to the paper element.
5. This next item came with my halftrack. A Marvel Mystery Oil Inverse Oiler. This devise put the correct amount of Marvel Mystery Oil into the intake manifold and lubes the valves and keeps things running good.

The one change I had made a while back, adding an electric fuel pump, I'm changing back to original. This is so I can use my windshield wipers. I may add a vacuum reservoir.

That's about all I have to report for now. More to come.

Steve A.

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:26 am

Making some slow progress but it is great to start putting things back together again. Here are some photos of my recent progress.

Starting on wiring the dash. What a project that is. Glad I got a lot of reference material and diagrams for this.

Steve A.

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:44 am

Well, it's been a while since my last post. I've been having difficulty with my health lately. Anyway, I finally was able to get some work done on my halftrack. I have since finished my dash and installed it back in the cowling.

Here, I'm working on the finishing touches on the firewall. The horns were sent out and professionally rebuilt with all new internal parts.

I finished hooking up all the brake lines and master cylinder.

Re-installed the e-brake assembly. Now waiting on getting the e-brake and PTO levers cleaned to re-install.

Thanks to Kevin put all new hose clamps on and connected all cooling lines.

More to follow.

Steve A.

kcb14214
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by kcb14214 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Very nice to watch!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Hello Steve,

What a great job you and your helper are doing.
I hope you are feeling better and stay healthy !!!!!!
That is the most important thing to restore !!!

Your workmanship is absolutely fantastic and an inspiration to all !!
I have so many things and projects on my agenda, but I also have a nice M-16 half track that needs a light restoration.
I am seeing it restored through your great and informative postings of your half track.

Thank you for taking the time to share your adventure with us all !!
Stay well !!

Ray
USA

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Made some more progress this last week. With Don's help I have new battery cables. I might be making some more in the future for sale if there is any interest.

More parts painted. It seems there is always something else to paint. ;D

I'm at that point to reinstall the dash/cowling back onto the frame. Everything is set for the install tomorrow.

Steve A.

Return to “Tracked”