M2A1 Front End and Engine Rebuild

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Re: M2A1 Front End and Engine Rebuild

Post by steve1973 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:46 am

Since I had some extra help we moved on to putting the two toe boards in. This is another two person job. Once those were in we installed the draft seals for the clutch and brake pedals. The draft seal kit can be purchased from Kevin Lockwood.

I was going to install the steering column but needed to clean up the draft seal clamp for the column shaft first. I was also going to install the dimmer (tilt) switch but didn't have any number 12 screws. That will be the next project.

Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:15 am

Making more progress over the last weekend. I got the steering column back in but had a problem. When the column is mounted in place there is a clamp that goes over the pitman shaft housing from the steering box. My halftrack has two brass shims that go around this housing before being clamped in place.

Well, I put everything back as original and was unable to turn the steering shaft freely. I loosened up the column and things moved fine. I decided to take out one shim and everything seems to work fine.

The drag link was installed next then all grease points up front were lubed. With excess grease wiped off I painted all the zerk fittings red and once dried installed the covers on the drag link ends. These are from Kevin Lockwood.

One of the next items to reinstall is the drive line. Before I did that though I decided to put new U-joints in.

The front axle was finished up by installing the flexible brake lines. At this point it is time to sand blast and paint more parts.

I was able to get some small parts done in my small blasting cabinet but I heard from Don that the place we take our big stuff to get sand blasted burnt down to the ground last week. :'( I will have to see if they will still be in business or temporarily find another place.

More armor being painted.

That's all for now.

Steve A.

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Thanks for the update. Awesome job Sir.
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:03 am

Time for another update. Lots have happened since my last post. The big news is that I found a house and moving to the country, Yeah!! :mrgreen: With my closing date looming I need to kick it up a notch and get to work on getting the halftrack rolling again. I've been off work since last Friday through next Monday doing nothing but working on the halftrack. I've been at the shop everyday working at least 10 hours each day to get the halftrack rolling again. At this point it is not about getting it done but to get it at a point where it will move safely under its own power for the up coming move. Here is some of what I've done.

The all three drive lines are in place and the main fuel line is hooked up again.

Painting parts is going on every day with the doors all done and finishing up the hood today. I still have to clean all the hinges and door components though.

My paint prep and bead blasting area.

My parts remaining and staging area. I'm running out of parts to put on. :o I guess that's a good thing. :mrgreen:

Finally, the halftrack as she sits today. The winch is installed, top center hood piece in place. Almost ready to roll....

Steve A.

Spec4Don
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Spec4Don » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:14 am

Looking forward to seeing her move under her own power!

Don G.
1942 M3 Halftrack Zelda MVPA # 31688
Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
Letorneau Model D-4 Airborne Scraper

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:47 pm

Made a lot of progress since my last post. I got my other gas tank back from Don since he has his own tanks now. Both tanks are wired in and the fuel gauge works! That's a big plus. One modification I did was to notch the gas tank covers so I don't have to remove the fuel line each time. I've seen this on several halftracks as a field modification.

I finished pluming the fuel line to the engine so it can run from the tanks but had problems starting the engine. It just didn't want to start but would run if dribbled fuel down the carb. After some trouble shooting It was found that the float wasn't allowing fuel in the bowl. Once adjusted the engine fired right up.

Don came over this morning to help with a few things like bleeding the hydrovac and brakes. I ended up having to disconnect my rear brakes due to rear hub seal leaks on both sides. So I'm using the front brakes for now. Once that was done we put the floor plates in and the front tires on. Lastly the steering wheel was installed.

You know what that means....

TIME FOR A TEST DRIVE!!!!!!!!!

This is the first time running under it's own power in two years. I don't know who was more excited me or Don. :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/5tF8EpxxHow

Once the ride was over we went out and celebrated with lunch then came back and worked on doors. The lowers are on but will need to do some massaging on the driver's side door. That's all for now.

Steve A.

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 am

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. You and your crew are doing exceptional work. Great inspiration!
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:23 am

OK guys, here is a long overdue update on my halftrack. Sorry, no photos with this update.

Between getting inspections done on my new house, signing papers and getting ready to move, the halftrack took to the side lines for a while. I have since installed the fenders, front bumper, doors, windshield armor, hood and headlights.

On the passenger side door I added the pocket for the lube chart. Some years ago I purchased one from Outsider, painted it and then put it in that safe place. Well, when I needed it I couldn't find it so I bought another one from Outsider and installed it. Yesterday I was showing Don something and I found it! :D

For the most part the halftrack is done. I still have a few items to address but for now it can be moved or so I thought.

Since the first test run I have been having problems with fuel starvation. I've tried changing carburetors, bypassing both fuel filters and fuel pump with no luck. From the fuel tank selection valve forwards all have been bypassed. this means the problem is somewhere from the valve back. Just when I was ready to give up Don, once again, suggested that I blow the line with air. I finally agreed and so far that did the trick. Big thanks to Don!! :D

This Saturday Don and I are invited to a car show so I have a few more thing to do to get ready for Saturday. I'm going to make another test run today and finish up a few more items then its of to the car show. I will try and get some more photos posted soon.

Steve A.

spillmk1
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by spillmk1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:32 am

A truly awesome rebuild and some great info/reference photos.
Thank you for all the help as I start down the same path!!

Keith
1955 M38A1 Jeep
1953 M100 Trailer
1941 White M2A1 Half Track

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:47 am

Time to jump back three years and finish this post. For all you newbies here are links to my prior restoration posts.

http://halftrackinfo.com/index.php?topic=913.0

At this point I am scrambling to get the halftrack done for the move to the new house. I needed to get moved out of both of my warehouses ASAP as they were getting too expensive especially with my new house. So, they had to go. I do miss them to this day. Anyway, While getting the halftrack together I was getting a pole barn built to be my new shop at my new house. Here are some more photos as I get the fenders, winch bumper and lights mounted.

The headlight buckets, trim rings and spacers are all NOS original items. The "guts" of the headlights are all reproduction items sold as a kit I got on Amazon.

More to come.

Steve A.

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:51 pm

This is the last photo I have of the halftrack before it is moved to its new home. This concludes this chapter. A new chapter will start soon all about my new place and all the problems and projects to date.

Steve A.

Return to “Tracked”