M2A1 Front End and Engine Rebuild

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

steve1973
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: M2A1 Front End and Engine Rebuild

Post by steve1973 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 am

Since I had some extra help we moved on to putting the two toe boards in. This is another two person job. Once those were in we installed the draft seals for the clutch and brake pedals. The draft seal kit can be purchased from Kevin Lockwood.

I was going to install the steering column but needed to clean up the draft seal clamp for the column shaft first. I was also going to install the dimmer (tilt) switch but didn't have any number 12 screws. That will be the next project.

Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

steve1973
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:15 am

Making more progress over the last weekend. I got the steering column back in but had a problem. When the column is mounted in place there is a clamp that goes over the pitman shaft housing from the steering box. My halftrack has two brass shims that go around this housing before being clamped in place.

Well, I put everything back as original and was unable to turn the steering shaft freely. I loosened up the column and things moved fine. I decided to take out one shim and everything seems to work fine.

The drag link was installed next then all grease points up front were lubed. With excess grease wiped off I painted all the zerk fittings red and once dried installed the covers on the drag link ends. These are from Kevin Lockwood.

One of the next items to reinstall is the drive line. Before I did that though I decided to put new U-joints in.

The front axle was finished up by installing the flexible brake lines. At this point it is time to sand blast and paint more parts.

I was able to get some small parts done in my small blasting cabinet but I heard from Don that the place we take our big stuff to get sand blasted burnt down to the ground last week. :'( I will have to see if they will still be in business or temporarily find another place.

More armor being painted.

That's all for now.

Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks for the update. Awesome job Sir.
42 Ford GPW