New Halftrack Arrived

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
New Halftrack Arrived

Post by steve1973 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Hello All, I got my 4th halftrack this last Saturday and it's a keeper. :D It is a 1941 White M2 converted to M2A1 with winch. It is what you may call a motor pool restoration, not perfect by any means but better than where I was at. It arrive on a rainy morning. :( The windshield armor was down and the upper door were stuck in the upright position. I had to use the pistol ports and spotters to get it in my shop. I don't know how they did it back then. You sure can't see much at all. Well I got it in my shop without hitting anything and parked it till today, Monday.

So, today was my first chance to do a good look over. First I backed out into the parking lot as it was a very nice sunny day and it gave me more room to work with. I started by cleaning the battery compartment and installing new battery cables. I also cleaned and tapped the threads. I then vacuumed the what all I could inside and out. The windshield glass was wrapped in blankets and stored in one of the ammo lockers. I carefully took them out and set them on the track. I then noticed thal the two side bumper pieces were upside down and on the wrong side. So, I then started in on that. I had problems getting four bolts loose so I decided to go over to my friends shop the next street over so he can weld some nuts on the srew head to get them off. After putting all the tools away in my shop I fired up the halftrack and headed ofer to my friends. Remember the windshield, I foregot. :shock: Next thing I heard was glass breaking :shock: :shock: I got out to see both windshield assemblies wedged between the track and horizontal track armor. :( :( It took a sliding hammer to get them out. Can today get any worse :( I carefully took the bent frames in my shop and left for my friends shop the next street over through the alley.

I was within sight of his shop when the engine started to sputter then BOOM!!!! :shock: :shock: I was dead in the water so to speak. I spent a good hour before I gave up. I hooked my truck up to the track and drug it out of the way then called my halftrack mechanic. Doesn't everyone have a halftrack mechanic :lol: This guy knows his stuff and is great with this old stuff. While I was away at a doctors appointment he got the beast up and running sounding better that ever. It turns out that the air cleaner was full of oil and water preventing the carb to breath causing the backfire. Well that backfire took out my new muffler. :shock: :( :( All that was left was the two end pieces and part of the top. What a day. It's like Monday the 13th or something.

Well the track is back in my shop waiting for a good going over. My mechanic will be busy this week greasing it up and changing all the fluids while I'm working on other things. Friday Don, Sec4Don, is hosting a campout at his place and hopt to have my haftrack there up and running.

I will post some photos in the next day or so when I have some time.

Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

iron bender
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: New Halftrack Arrived

Post by iron bender » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 am

I assume we've all had days like that. Can't wait to see some pics. I set an ammo can on my passenger side track, and while trying to remember that I set it there, squish. It's really flat now, making the lid hard to get off. I kept it to show to people.
'42 M4A1 track (sold with a tear in my eye)
'44 WC63 6x6
'77 wife
'06 boy
'10 boy

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:54 pm

So here are some photos of my pew halftrack inside my shop out of the rain. Enjoy!

Here is what is left of my muffler

And finally, here is my freshly painted master cylinder and hydrovac. Thanks Don for the paint!

1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

yd328
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by yd328 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Steve,

Very nice HT, it even comes ith a convertible top :) .

Gary
MVPA Member
M2A1 Half Track ( Undergoing Resto)
M10 Ammo Trailer

Newt
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Newt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Congrats! Best of luck with her.
Chris
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

iron bender
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by iron bender » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Great track. That kinda makes me want a winch model.
'42 M4A1 track (sold with a tear in my eye)
'44 WC63 6x6
'77 wife
'06 boy
'10 boy

Return to “Tracked”