Track life on Half Tracks

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Track life on Half Tracks

Post by Buggy Man » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 am

Jeff & Gary
Thanks for the replies & your input. Kind of funny how old threads will sometimes come "back to life". Another misconception about tracked vehicles is that they can go anywhere and never get stuck.........

Matt

autocar925
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Track life on Half Tracks

Post by autocar925 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:58 am

I checked my tracks again:

First year(2010): .523 in depth Speedo mileage: 213
2nd year: .467 in depth Speedo mileage: 298
6th year: .341 in depth Drivers side Speedo mileage: 770
.382 in depth Pass side
11th year(2021): .357 in depth Drivers side Speedo mileage: 959
.316 in depth on Pass side
The wear pattern seems to have shifted sides. The drivers side used to have more wear than the pass side, but it is now opposite. At first glance it might seem that I got the recorded measurements mixed up side to side but I didn't. Three possible reasons come to mind: 1) I used a depth mike instead of calipers this time 2) I took multiple measurements both on the inner and outer side of the track and then averaged them 3) The drivers side track was "popping" a few years ago, so I checked and adjusted the toe in. In any case, if you average the wear on both sides and ratio it out, the projected track life comes out to 2086 miles. These are 1980's Israeli tracks. I have now swapped tracks side to side.

Return to “Tracked”