Cracked WLA wheel hub

Military Motorcycles, and Other Military Two and Three Wheeled Cycles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
matt506
G-Major
G-Major

Cracked WLA wheel hub

Post by matt506 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:50 am

Got this hub for free and I am cleaning out junk. Can this be repair or converted to modern bearing with a race or is it junk? I know these are rare and expensive thats why I ask.
Attachments
1500475679833.jpg
1500475679833.jpg (113.61 KiB) Viewed 587 times
SFC Matt Miller,
4-42 GPW,
M-6 81mm hand cart,
4-43 MBT,
4-43 WLA,
1961 M151,
M18 paracaisson,
"Find The Bastards and Pile On" 11th ACR

OLDABEWLA
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: Cracked WLA wheel hub

Post by OLDABEWLA » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:16 pm

Matt,

In my opinion the hub can be fixed.

First I would do is have the crack tig welded and done by someone that does this type welding all the time to make sure it's done right.
They will have to grind a valley threw the crack to tig weld and fuse the metal back together again.

After it's welded it will have to be re-machined and I'm sure the bore might return to a soft state again from the heat of the welding done as the bores are flame harded from the factory, there will also be some heat sink areas around the weld as this leave a low area around the weld.
The bore will have to be check to see if it still round?

The next step is I would send out the hub to have the bore hard chromed, they will machine it bigger, build it up and regrind the bore to a standard size to the dimensions you tell them.
When these are hard chrome they will last forever!

Check out (US Chrome) out of Fond Du Lac, Wis I think they can do the job, you will have to contact them and see they have a web site.

Craig
☆42WLA Harley-Davidson #19,246 Type III

Return to “Motorcycles & Bicycles”