type III generator questions.

Military Motorcycles, and Other Military Two and Three Wheeled Cycles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
matt506
G-Major
G-Major

type III generator questions.

Post by matt506 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Been rebuilding 5 Generators from parts I have but am confused on the parts. In Palmers first book "How to Build…." it states that Generator bodies had brass or copper tags up to mid 43, zinc afterwards. It also states that the end cover on 43 up had the hole for mounting a capacitor and were not used on copper tag bodies. The "how to build your military WLA" issue 2 says that mid 42 till 45 had the hole for the capacitor , which would cover the TYPEIII that I have. Any ideas out there what a April 4 43 WLA should have? Matt
SFC Matt Miller,
4-42 GPW,
M-6 81mm hand cart,
4-43 MBT,
4-43 WLA,
1961 M151,
M18 paracaisson,
"Find The Bastards and Pile On" 11th ACR

OLDABEWLA
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: type III generator questions.

Post by OLDABEWLA » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:23 am

Yours is early yet, I would say the brass tag without the taped hole in the aluminum housing for the capacitor

When the tank tags changed from brass to zink-aluminium is about the same time the generator tags did the same that's when all copper and brass was eliminated from war production at Harley.

I believe? the generator capacitor came in use the same time as the radio interference was adopted on the WLA's
Type IV's

Craig
☆42WLA Harley-Davidson #19,246 Type III

Return to “Motorcycles & Bicycles”