G 519 toolpouch

Military Motorcycles, and Other Military Two and Three Wheeled Cycles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
karl oliver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

G 519 toolpouch

Post by karl oliver » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 pm

ouch!....$356.65 for a Persons toolpouch from the favorite auction site. :lol:
Mamma Mia....that's wanting one mighty badly :shock: Did anyone else follow this!?
"Life is tough....it's even tougher if you're stupid" -John Wayne

45 Willys MB SN 436399 DOD 19Apr45
Columbia Westfield MG 43592
Columbia Westfield MG 47928
Lovely wife and two beautiful daughters
Bad Breath and a short.....uh memory!

HuffmanBill
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Re: G 519 toolpouch

Post by HuffmanBill » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Karl,

Yeah I followed it. Jay Leno once commented that he'' belonged to the more money then brains club '' after he paid $150,000.00 for a motorcycle. Well, what you have here, I think, is a similiar case only on a smaller scale. Three years ago I got a similiar ''Persons'' bag with original straps from an ebay auction. I paid under $38.00. I think it is time to sell it now. I believe that I should ask $400.00 HAHA!! Now lets see how many of these bags start showing up on ebay with a reserve of $300.00 or more. It could happen just like it did with the BSA para-bikes once one sold for around $3000.00 on ebay. All of a sudden BSA para's that were selling for $1500.00 -$1800.00 were going on ebay with an asking price of $3000.00 - $5000.00. Incredible!

Regards, Bill

MUTTSNBOLTS
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by MUTTSNBOLTS » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:56 am

I tried bidding on it, actually what I thought was a high bid but apparently I was wrong...oh well...I'll keep looking...

Take care,

Richard
GOD BLESS THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE UNITED STATES MILITARY PAST AND PRESENT & GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Craig Johnson
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Craig Johnson » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 am

That was a really nice pouch. The type you don't have to upgrade.

I know guys who easily dump $350 in gas to drive around in a boat all weekend, spend a ton of money on booze, food, cigarettes and come Monday have nothing to show for it but a hangover. I would rather have that bag hanging on my bike than a hangover any day.

Yes the price was high. Not all pouches are worth that much. If it doesn't have the straps or its ripped or dirty it shouldn't be worth anywhere near this amount. This was a quality piece.

I wish I would have bid more, but I know my day will come when I find one for $38. It probably wont be as nice and I will remember this one.

Craig..The newcomer Johnson

MVPA 3642
My website
http://www.handcartz.com
Own a bunch of hand carts
http://handcartz.smugmug.com/gallery/509020/

Always buying anything for the U.S. Army Hand Cart. Parts, manuals, accessories. Even the smallest screw.

HuffmanBill
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by HuffmanBill » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:59 pm

Craig,

I don't wish to start an argument,and a person can spend their money any way they wish, but the pouch was really not worth that much. Yes it had original straps, but look at the pictures closely. The bag is not as perfect as you think. There are dark areas of dirt or old oil discoloration, the leather appears to be somewhat dry, tight and shrinking in areas and minor cracking can be seen along the edges in spots. I don't remember any pics of the back of the bag or full pics of the straps so I cannot comment on those areas. Part of my collection is vintage Military marked baseball gloves of which I have about 100,which range in age between WWI and Vietnam. All are leather and in various conditions. I have looked at a lot of leather gloves and pictures of leather baseball gloves. I also have 3 ''Persons'' Tool pouches . At this point I can look at pictures of vintage leather items and know what to look for to get a good feel for condition. That was a very nice pouch, but by no means one that was worth that much money. Like I said in a post a few months ago, these pouches are showing up more regularly on ebay. As a matter of fact late this past spring I told a collector that was looking for a ''Persons'' pouch to be patient as I was sure one would show up on ebay by the end of summer. Well it did. More of these pouches, will show up, most likely sooner then later considering the price this one brought. By the way Craig, I truly wish you the best in finding a very nice pouch and for much less then what this one brought, just be patient. Nuff said.

Regards, Bill

Travelfix
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Travelfix » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:57 am

Bill, I say finding a pouch like this one for $38. would be like hitting megga bucks. A fellow collector (Robin) not too long ago hit it big when he found a beautiful pouch at a gun show for $5. That was a stroke of luck. If Robin's find was on ebay, I bet it would have sold for as much as this one mentioned. Most of us collectors have to rely on Ebay to find stuff and when an item is posted, the whole world is watching. There's no luck involved on Ebay, just who wants to pay the most.

Of the few pouches I've seen, most of them are all oil soaked with cracked leather and frail.

Would love to see pictures of your 3 pouches.

HuffmanBill
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by HuffmanBill » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Bob,

Unfortunatly your right. If you want the item and the bucks don't matter you bid a ridiculous amount and chances are you will win. Frankly, why should I care. Now that someone has set a new precedent for these pouches, I can adjust the value and subsequently the sale price for my pouches if and when I decide to part with them. As far as posting pics of my bags, there are already pics of two of them on this site with the ''Persons'' seats I made. The third one, although in lesser condition then the others, is absolutely original to the Huffman it came with ( 1943 Huffman brought back from Eygpt at the end of WWII ).

Regards, Bill

Travelfix
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Travelfix » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Bill, I pulled up the pictures of your pouches. Although I can't enlarge the photos.....nice, very nice. I say you strap one of those pouches onto one of your Huffmans and sell to me. ha ha Time to let go of some stuff. Let me know when you're ready.
Bob

Return to “Motorcycles & Bicycles”