In need of some WLA help (Oil Leak)

Military Motorcycles, and Other Military Two and Three Wheeled Cycles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
crossbow2
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

In need of some WLA help (Oil Leak)

Post by crossbow2 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Hello all I have a wonderful 42 WLA and I am finding that she is losing lots of oil out the bottom of her somewhere. Now I know it should leak some but she tends to lose about 2 to 3 ounces every time I start her up and some just sitting there in storage. I did over a year ago when it was not so bad but did leak talk to the man that restored her and he told me that they are expose to leak some from a screw on to the chain as you drive her, but it seams to be getting worse and I need some info as to what you think it may be and how to fix the problem. Thank you so very much and any help are insight would be wonderful.
Thank you again.
Ryan
1942 Harley Davidson WLA
1942 Ford Staffcar
1942 Ford GPW & Trailer
1943 Willys MB
1944 Airborne Converto Trailer
1943 Ben Hur Trailer
1942 Chevy 1 1/2 Ton (waiting to be restored)
1941 Close Cab CCKW
1944 Open Cab CCKW
1953 M38A1 (In origanal paint)

Lib45
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: In need of some WLA help (Oil Leak)

Post by Lib45 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:00 am

Hi Ryan.
One question: does it dump oil on the floor when you start her up?

I think your ball-valve in the oilpump preventing oil to "sump" (flow into the cases when engine isn't running) isn't doing its job properly...a common problem.
If the pumphousing isn't too bad you should be able to lap the seat and install a new ball, but if it's too far gone and the seat is oval you need to replace the pumpbody or..(what I did, although it's a NO-NO to some) install a tapvalve in the feedline.
Good luck and happy holidays!

Steve
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Steve » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:28 pm

We have had GOOD success with this oil pump ball seat burnishing tool. It uses radial force to reshape the seat to a 3/8 round ball.
Check it out here:
http://www.resurrectioncycle.com/oilpumptool.html

OLDABEWLA
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by OLDABEWLA » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:06 pm

The issue or problem is called ( weeping oil pump) very common problem with these oil pumps. The inside of the pump were the check balls seat these seats can also be lapped in to fix the problem? if there is no issues with the seat as being pitting or out of round.

Craig
☆42WLA Harley-Davidson #19,246 Type III

crossbow2
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by crossbow2 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:18 pm

Ok so if I understand correctly in the little oil pump there is a small ball that serves as a check value to let oil in and around the engain but some how gets out of round and stays up and let's oil out after the engine is turned off. But I have to ask were is it coming out at! And there is a way to reshape the ball with that tool. If any anyone has any pictures that would be great I am still a little lost but I plan to pull her out after Christmas and clean her up and try to fix this. Anyone can call me any time if you can explane it to me. I do thank you all so much for all of ya'lls help I am just a much better visual learner.
Thanks so much
Ryan
1942 Harley Davidson WLA
1942 Ford Staffcar
1942 Ford GPW & Trailer
1943 Willys MB
1943 Ben Hur Trailer
1941 Close Cab CCKW
1944 Open Cab CCKW

OLDABEWLA
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by OLDABEWLA » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:00 pm

You oil pump has three check balls inside of it. The two check balls in the oil circuit inside opens when engine is running with 1 1/2 LBS. of pressure and when the engine is off it should close and seat to prevent the oil from the tank to drain back down to the crank case and over fill it. In your pump there is a adjustment screw inside the hole with the round top cap, this is turned inside to set the pump pressure and the check ball in this hole isn't the problem it comming from but the other two with the flat top caps.

The oil is comming from out of the breather tube area on your engine.

Each of the three check balls is a circuit for the crank pin, timing gear case and so on.

craig
Attachments
pump3.jpg
pump3.jpg (43.55 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
pump2.jpg
pump2.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
pump1.jpg
pump1.jpg (53.07 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

OLDABEWLA
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by OLDABEWLA » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:20 pm

To fix the problem, buy new check balls, springs and gasket take the pump off and clean it real good inside and out. The check balls can not be reshaped! The seats in your pump will need to be ether lapped or reshaped with the tool sold above from Steve Lemays web site.

You can lap your seats in by taking a new extra check ball and going to the parts store and get a small can of lapping compound and place the compound on the ball then placing it in the hole and the trick is to sprin the ball by hand with a wooden dowel or other tool to reshape the seat to the shape of the new ball until it seats is lapped in.

Craig

crossbow2
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by crossbow2 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Hello Craig and Steve thank you guys so very much I men, I owe you both so much I totally understand now, but one other question on the balls do you Steve sell the check Balls also and the gasket for the pump if not were do you recommend I order them and I will contact you Steve, soon to buy the tool from you just after Christmas.
Again guys I do thank you so very much.
Thanks again so very much.
Ryan S.
1942 Harley Davidson WLA
1942 Ford Staffcar
1942 Ford GPW & Trailer
1943 Willys MB
1943 Ben Hur Trailer
1941 Close Cab CCKW
1944 Open Cab CCKW

Steve
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Steve » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:31 am

Yes,
I have everything available. Thanks,

crossbow2
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by crossbow2 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:15 am

Great Steve thank you again so very much I will contact you after Christmas to order the proper parts.
Thank you guys again for all the help and please have a safe and wonderful Christmas.
Ryan S.
1942 Harley Davidson WLA
1942 Ford Staffcar
1942 Ford GPW & Trailer
1943 Willys MB
1943 Ben Hur Trailer
1941 Close Cab CCKW
1944 Open Cab CCKW

Return to “Motorcycles & Bicycles”