Hi, need some help.
My Indian 741b started blowing headlight bulbs. One good rev up to speed and the headlight bulb burns out.
Background, it's a brand new generator, rebuilt by Jerry Greer Engineering (experts on all Indian items). I got the generator and will be using the bike mostly around town, parades, displays. So I decided to kick up the generator output a bit to ensure charging at low speeds. The third brush regulates the generator output through shunting more or less magnetic flux. Third brush pushed toward the rear of the bike, lower output. Third brush pushed forward, more generator output. I pushed it slightly forward from minimum. Started blowing headlight bulbs, quick. Just a couple revs up off of idle and the bulb would be burnt out. So, pushed the third bruch back, just off of minimum (as far back as it would go). Seemed to o.k. Bulbs seemed to be o.k.
Took her for a ride a couple minutes ago and came up to speed. Stuck my hand out in front of the light and no light. Switched to low beam. A couple revs and low beam burnt out. In Illinois, you've got to keep your motorcycle headlight on while ridding. No light is an open invitation to a ticket.
I worked in digital and automated control, computer systems, interfacing. This circuit is just too simple. It's really getting to me. Thought of a resistor to reduce the current flow, drop some voltage (share a portion of the voltage and current with the headlight). Also thought of a capacitor in parrallel with the bulb to reduce current and voltage spikes. Also thought that perhaps I should clean off my generator to frame ground ends.
Any ideas out there?????