Water bypass fittings

Amphibious Wheeled Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
Mhollenbuy
G-Private
G-Private
Water bypass fittings

Post by Mhollenbuy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Hello all,
I have an ongoing dukw project. I have the engine (original GMC 270) nearly complete and ready to fire. I purchased a new water bypass pipe from Rex. It is nos complete with flare nuts. The nuts are standard 18 threads. The problem that I am having is that the 45 degree brass fitting has 16 TPI. I can not find the correct fitting anywhere online. I could re-thread the steel nut, but don't want to screw it up considering the cost. I would much rather find the correct brass 45 degree 18TPI flare fitting. Can anyone help? Also, I've started on the brakes and it's going well, but I need to find the vacuum pipe from the valve back to the bell housing. I have the long piece to the hydrovac. If anyone can help with the pipe it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Water bypass fittings

Post by Steve Greenberg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Hello,
I will look and see if I have the fitting your looking for tomorrow.
Thanks,
Steve
42 M3A1 Stuart Light Tank
44 GMC 2 1/2 Ton Amphibian Truck (DUKW)

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Steve Greenberg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:08 pm

I do not have a spare fitting.

Mhollenbuy
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Mhollenbuy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks for looking Steve. Do you think it would be possible to have an upper vacuum pipe made for the hydrovac. I have the long piece but I'm missing the piece that connects to the vacuum check valve off the manifold. If anyone can provide a photo of how it routes over the bell housing, that would help. I have read that some people have found rebuild kits for the rear wheel cylinders at NAPA and other auto parts stores. I have not had any such luck. Is there a good recent part number available?

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Steve Greenberg » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Hello,
If your wheel cylinders are in good enough condition to hone and re-use the only new part you really need will be the rubber cups. The aluminum pistons and springs should be reusable. NAPA does have the rubber cups. Just bring you old ones with you to be sure to get the correct size. The rear wheel cylinders are the same as the GMC CCKW 6X6 truck. The front wheel cylinders are rather hard to find. The inlet for the brake hose is at an angle so the hose will clear the steering knuckle.

I will look and see if I have the vacuum hose. My DUKW has an air-pak so I do not have the vacuum line.
Steve

Mhollenbuy
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Mhollenbuy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks again Steve.
I will take a trip to my local NAPA and see what they have available. Please let me know if the vacuum pipe turns up. Ill gladly buy it from you.
Mark

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Steve Greenberg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:50 am

Mark,
I do not have the vacuum pipe.
Steve

Mhollenbuy
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Mhollenbuy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:28 am

Steve,
Thank you for taking the time to check. I was able to find the w/c cups at Napa. Now if I can find a photo of the vacuum pipe and how it is routed, I'm sure I can bend one myself.

Return to “Amphibian, DUKW, GPA and other wheeled amphibian”