DUKW-My Radiator is Bad

Amphibious Wheeled Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
renovate7
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

DUKW-My Radiator is Bad

Post by renovate7 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:07 pm

My radiator has been leaking water for a while so I pulled it and took it to the local radiator shop. He said the core is bad, which I believe. I had this gone thru about 5 years ago by a different shop who said it was marginal and soldered up a bunch of pinholes at that time. The shop that has it now wants $1295 to recore it including the water box/hole for the pump driveshaft to go thru. Said leaving that out would save a couple of hundred. Anyone have an excellent condition radiator? Any idea if $1295 is a fair price? Thanks for The Board's help on this.

John Griffin
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: DUKW-My Radiator is Bad

Post by John Griffin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:40 pm

FYI--I had the same problem with my CCKW and could not find a reasonable original replacement that was much better than what I had. The recore was about $1200 and the CCKW does not have the pump shaft hole. I found a place I think in Georgia, called Griffin Radiator that built a new aluminum radiator. Took pictures of mine and drew the original and put measurements on the drawing. They were very helpful in getting it right. When it came in all I had to do was drill mounting holes in the flanges and bolt it down. So far it is doing fine, but have not had any hot days to really test it. Cost $800. Again this is FYI. No relation to the radiator Griffin"s. John

Return to “Amphibian, DUKW, GPA and other wheeled amphibian”