brake lining material

Amphibious Wheeled Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
uglydukwling
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
brake lining material

Post by uglydukwling » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:02 am

I've been looking for quotes on relining brake shoes for a DUKW. So far, 2 quotes have come back.

One supplier says I need woven linings because modern (non-asbestos) moulded linings won't work when wet.

The other says I need moulded linings because woven linings don't offer enough friction to work in automotive applications. They need more pressure than automotive brake systems provide.

Does anyone have any experience with this controversy?

Because the brakes will get wet, the linings should be bonded to prevent water getting between the shoe and lining. Since water will get between the shoe and lining anyway, bonding will fail, so the linings should be riveted. One supplier offered to rivet after bonding. Sounds like the best of both worlds, unless there's some reason not to do it. I've seen a lot of brakes where rust build-up between the shoe and lining has forced them apart resulting in failure, but maybe modern adhesives are so much better that it doesn't happen any more? Oddly, that was one problem that the DUKW didn't have. I haven't taken the linings off yet, so I'm not sure how much corrosion there is, but I can see there isn't enough to bulge the linings.

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: brake lining material

Post by Steve Greenberg » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:53 pm

Hello,
I have been using non woven type linings for years with no problems stopping after going in the water. I have also used both riveted and bonded linings with no problems. I prefer the riveted because that is what was original.
Steve
42 M3A1 Stuart Light Tank
44 GMC 2 1/2 Ton Amphibian Truck (DUKW)

renovate7
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by renovate7 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:50 am

I had my spare set relined at a place that does all the shoes for the big truck repair places in Tampa FL. They are riveted. I think I paid like $25-30 per shoe.

Dukwman1
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Dukwman1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:23 pm

I have operated more dukws than anyone dreamed about on this forum. $50 per side and problem solved.

BCA
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by BCA » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:51 pm

Dukwman1: OK but are the woven linings or moulded linings?

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:17 pm

I Have NOS front DUKW shoes. No Rears at this time.

Return to “Amphibian, DUKW, GPA and other wheeled amphibian”