M606 cj3b question

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Clemedc
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
M606 cj3b question

Post by Clemedc » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:38 pm

I live in the Philippines and recently discovered what I believe to be an early M606 it has blackout light bracket on the fender, pintle hook, M38 type taillights and original running engine.
I can't find the chassis number I misplaced it but it began with 45 I believe when I checked the serial number it was 53 or 54 model year.
My real question is this. The Jeep has an M38 type dash panel where the gauges sit. Which unbolts and pulls out like an M38. I have not seen any pictures of an M606 with this type of dash some use the 4 guages and speed but mounted in the dash cutouts others have a big speedo with guages in it.
Would anyone here know if the M38 style dash guages panel was ever used in an M606? I have search for a long time to find an answer but interior pic are hard to find for the M606 and almost no info. The body is in very bad condition and would need replaced anyway or major sheet metal work. I am attempting to attach a picture if it fails I can Email it to anyone who may need to see it.
Thanks Clem

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: M606 cj3b question

Post by Rus Curtis » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:09 am

Clem,
Military jeeps are a bit outside my circle of interest. However, I've also seen some images of a removable instrument panel and it got me searching to see if I could locate where I saw this.

Are you familiar with the CJ3B Page, hosted by Derek Redmond? He posts articles that explain lots of things that are related to the CJ3B. There is information specific to the M606 as well as other military versions.

A lot of information concerning military versions can be found here:

http://cj3b.info/M606.html

http://cj3b.info/Military/M606Specs.html

There you can find the Kaiser Spec Sheet that identifies specifics on the M606:

http://cj3b.info/Photos/Military/M606Brochure.JPG

There is more detail there that you can sift through.

As I kept poking around, I found some images with a removable instrument panel. The Mitsubishi jeep has this with several images to prove it:

http://cj3b.info/Photos/World/Mitsubish ... ng1200.jpg
http://cj3b.info/Photos/Military/Vietna ... Tu1967.jpg
http://www.flatriver.net/ctlg/CJ3BJ376/pages/2.htm

You mentioned you have a B/O light on the fender, military taillights and a pintle. What about a split windshield or other specifics that may identify what jeep you have? Also keep in mind that even though you do narrow it down, parts get swapped and you may have some sort of a salad version that's unique to who owned it before you.

Hope this helps.
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:39 am

When I was in Korea the ROKs had M606s, painted high gloss OD and white markings. I don't remember the gauge panels. I found a picture of an Argentine 606 that had the one big gauge set in the circle, like the CJ.

Oh, remember that the Government bought CJ3bs so that is confusing. The 606 was made for export only.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Clemedc
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Clemedc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:15 am

Thank you for your replies.
The M606/cj3b seem to be a difficult jeep to figure out. I am in the Philippines and there are many salad jeeps here but also most are military type.
I noticed even the US government used the cj3b in roles such as shore patrol or MP duty. There are many Mitsu jeeps here as well. It seems the value isn't there like with the MB/GPW or M38 and the M38a1. It would still make a cool jeep especially when it has the original engine in place.
Is does not have a split windshield or a fold open windshield and no air vent. If this jeep doesn't sell in a month or two I may make an offer. Considering the expense of a restoration it would need to be cheap enough or it would be a big money loser.
Asking $2000 in the Philippines is a bit much. I'll try to post a link to the jeep.
http://ssl.olx.ph/item/willys-jeep-orig ... 8asJi.html

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 am

And beware of a Phillipine composite CJ-3B body with CJ and M-38 features. Photos of engine compartment features and the style bolts used to attach fenders and misc. sheet metal will help.
Are all the gauges made by the same manufacturer?
Do the Tail Lights mount inside the rear panel like M-38?
Does it have an alternator?
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 am

Do websearch M-606-Willys. or try Olive-drab.com
There are some good M-606 sites that will give you some real head scratchers on what Willys could do to the CJ-3B to create different versions of the M-606 over the years.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:54 am

Just off the posted pictures, I lean towards a salad jeep. Being able to inspect in-person would help. I would want to see the rear panels, what the tailgate looks like, and definitely behind that dash. From my personal experience, the radiator guard (grill) and the cowl/instrument panel survives longer than any other body part. It doesn't look like a Mahindra or Mitsubishi but parts can be swapped out.

There's a lot of non-standard parts in the pictures so I would factor that in when making an offer. It almost seems like the seller is trying clear out some storage.
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:22 am

I would agree that the price is high for what is shown in the photos. Appears to have the wrong steering column/wheel. Lots of damage to the body tub. Missing some key parts. I'd suggest you pass on this one and keep looking for a more complete vehicle.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:14 am

Run, don't walk away from this make do collection of Jeep parts and repairs. It has little going for it. It is a money pit with nothing going for it.

Clemedc
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Clemedc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:20 pm

I have misplaced the numbers but they began with 45 both eng and chassis dating it as a 53-54. It starts and runs with little smoke. Other than that it is not worth $2000 maybe $1000. But I agree it would be a money pit. The body is to far gone to save. I did see it in person. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something good.
Thanks to all
Clem

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”