T90 Thrust washer

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Kurt
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

T90 Thrust washer

Post by Kurt » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:33 am

Is the tab on the outer edge of the large cluster gear thrust washer (front thrust washer) intended to really keep the washer from turning? I ask because the "V" notch in the transmission case were the tab should be appears short. The washer is larger and the tab looks to be outside of the V notch, above it.

I just finished disassembling and cleaning the transmission case and parts. The tab on the large thrust washer that came out was flattened even to the washer. The surface area of the case were the washer sits has lovely spiral rings around it.

After installed new bearings and all new thrust washers, the cluster gear is at the high end of clearance in the case.

Tkx,

Kurt

artificer
banned

Re: T90 Thrust washer

Post by artificer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:44 pm

This tab is there for a purpose & that is to stop the part rotating by holding it in the front of case.
In the rear, of the case, there are two tab slots in the counter/cluster gear that a thrust is located in....plus one tab on the other that locates in a slot @ the rear of the case.
Modify/adjust any of these tab/s so they are held reasonably firmly in their respective slots.

What was pulled apart indicates the previous problem will possibly be repeated, without some effort to fit parts as they should be.
I consider 0.006 - 0.008" clearance is good for a T90 counter/cluster gear, not more.
Suggest getting one of these thrust components fabricated [with suitable tabs] from similar material to close things up to tolerance, if not in that range.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Kurt
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Kurt » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:43 am

John,

Thanks for your input.

Are you suggest that the tab on the outer edge of the large thrust washer can be adjusted ? If so I think that could solve one problem.

The clearance front to back on my new cluster gear with new thrust washers is almost .018, so I am why outside your specs.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:20 am

The tab needs to engage properly, so the tab may need bending enough to do so properly without distorting the overall flatness of the thrust washer.
I would not be happy with the 0.018" which IMO contributed to the spinning of the last thrust/s.
Plus the case has worn, as you intimated, increasing this clearance. That wear needs to be square & pretty flat.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Kurt
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Kurt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:02 am

John,

Is your opinion that .012-.018 cluster gear clearance spec in the universal jeep manual is not realistic?

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Correct. That is my opinion....There has to be ample/adequate lube oil clearance.
Most parts one buys these days are NOT identical with original in that the thrusts & their mating surfaces are scrolled & inner 'ear type' cutouts are intended to hold adequate lube. Do not shim these thrusts & that is why I suggest if clearance is not in a good range get one made or adjusted. The rear steel one [of original quality/hardness] is quite easy to do.

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”