Solex Flooding issues

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
DanStew
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Solex Flooding issues

Post by DanStew » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:28 am

I am trying to get my CJ2a running but am plagued by the carb flooding my intake with fuel
With all the reading i have done my mind is mush.

I have two Solexs. One original and one i got online used as a part unit.
The original one was missing a brass plug on front, but i found out the plug was included in the rebuild kit, so i just rebuilt that carb,
the parts one i put on the shelf.

The rebuilt carb i put on the motor and just seemed to flood. Even doing the proper startup procedure with the choke circuit.
I opened up the second parts carb and cleaned it up and then put it on the jeep and i actually got it to fire and run for like 3 seconds, then it just stopped and flooded the intake like the rebuilt one. I have since put the rebuilt one back on.

I do not have a regulator in line. I tested the fuel pressure and it is about 4 psi.
I do not believe it is the float level flooding or fuel pressure problem because after trying to crank the motor, i can crack the banjo bolt to the fuel inlet on the carb and pressure will spray fuel every where. This tells me that the float is doing its job and closing the needle valve to prevent any fuel from getting in once full.

Instead of seeing a spray off fuel come out when i manipulate the throttle linkage, i will see fuel just leak down the center

Do I need to get some starting fluid and start it with that to get the Venturi effect going in the carb? to maybe get the carb to function for the first time?

I was going back through both carbs comparing things with them.

I did notice that the orifice tube that is under the main jet is very different between the two

The orifice tube on the left is in the rebuild carb. The one on the right is the parts carb. The one on the right has the bottom soldered shut, wheres the left side is open on the bottom

I am trying to figure out the float lever situation
The Rebuilt carb originally came with the longer rod to hold the float lever. It spans the top of the opening to hold the lever

The parts carb had a small rod that fit down into the bore

Which one should be there? And I was trying to make sure the float was level but when the directions tell you to tip the carb upside down and see if the float is level with the edge of the carb body, there is nothing holding the lever to keep it from coming out of the carb, so how do you get an adjustment if you cant get it to stay put without holding it?

And lastly, how much play is there supposed to be in the choke circuit lever? I pulled the choke circuit housing off the carb and there is no seal for the disc to body, so even though the disc will open to add fuel to the mixture, if it is loose would it be problem? The rebuilt cabr had about 1/16 play with the lever wiggling. The parts one had about 1/4 inch. There is a nut to tighten it down, should it be snug with no wobbling? If someone has a solex could the move their choke lever side to side to see if the lever has play? There is a spring between the brass disc inside and the housing.

So close to getting the thing starting. I know the WO is the preferred carb but i did not want to throw $$ into one until i could try to get this motor running a bit with what i have.
Thanks
Dan Stewart
1991 Wrangler
1948 CJ2a

Fortyeight2A
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Solex Flooding issues

Post by Fortyeight2A » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:47 am

I just went out and wiggled my choke lever. I have a couple thousandths of motion, maybe a max of 0.010". This Solex is almost 17 years old, with something over 10,000 miles.
Is it true real Jeeps have flat fenders?
Alone cannot you it resist!

DanStew
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by DanStew » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:25 am

Thank you for doing that. I will check mine and maybe throw a feeler under the lever and see what it is
Dan Stewart
1991 Wrangler
1948 CJ2a

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:59 am

Been a long time since I have been into a Solex.
I am just going on your pictures.
What holds the float pivot pin down ??
In the pics, the pin is free to move up and down in the slot it is in ???
Not good. If the pin is not held down, the needle valve would not close until the fuel level is really high. By then, fuel would be pouring out the main jet nozzle.
I am thinking a U shaped, flat spring that pushes down on the ends of the pivot pin and is held in place by the carb. top ??

And, I might be thinking of a different carb. all together.
Just a thought.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:14 am

Sounds like there are multiple built in problems so one needs to start from scratch & build a good carburettor.

A major problem to be addressing is the excess fuel device.
Sounds like parts are missing & the disc is not sealing properly as it should, but leaking/flooding.
This device works on excess fuel for starting, using vacuum & there is high vacuum on cranking.

Don't always expect pumping the throttle to give any squirt of fuel in a Solex carburettor.
Some don't work that way but rely on vacuum, others do have a pump operated by a spring loaded diaphragm that displaces fuel [squirt].

I doubt the fuel pressure you suggest is causing a problem,

Do a search on the G503 technical board "solex carburettor".
This topic has been covered dozens of times & there are numerous links to follow.
Here is one:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=262522&p=1529235&hi ... r#p1529235
Also this may be helpful....
https://www.scribd.com/document/2357331 ... arburettor
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

DanStew
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by DanStew » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:09 pm

I believe the top of the carb will sandwhich the brass rod to keep the float arm from moving. it looks like i would still have about a 1/16 of movement since the longer brass rod has some space between the bottom of that slot and the top edge of the housing. I am not using that short rod, that was in the other parts carb.

I wish there were clearer pictures of the Solex manual, especially the parts diagram. When trying to zoom in, it just is poor quality to try and ID parts that i have.

I was actually thinking about making a small gasket and putting it between the choke housing and main carb body to try and remove the choke from the equation (temporary only)

OH I have poured over the posts on the G for this carb. I have downloaded that manual. One of the better links i have found. Surprisingly i havnt found a link with this exact problem. I will keep looking.
Dan Stewart
1991 Wrangler
1948 CJ2a

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:35 pm

http://www.jeepsurreygala.com/?page_id=979
You'll find everything in here. When you find the 32 PBIC click on the page will enlarge then you can enlarge further with the + eye glass & make easy to read.
Only you can find where the fuel leak is causing flooding.
There are many kits with extraneous bits to cover all carbs 20-34 & only the installer can be sure the wrong parts are not installed in the wrong location. E.G. a check ball/weight left out is a possible scenario, jets not tight, in the wrong hole etc. besides all the normal ones like pressure, needle valve, float level & floatation.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

DanStew
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by DanStew » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Thank you for that link, that has helped tremendously.

I did find something tonight. I looked at the diagram and saw #30 and 31. Main jet and holder. The rebuilt carb i have did not have that piece when i got the jeep. Found out the hard way by gas just pouring out of the carb. When i rebuilt the carb i did not notice the jet in the holder, i just installed it. I looked at it tonight and found that jet was very loose in the holder, i put about 3-4 turns to seat it. So that might be one issue solved.

Another question i have is the #50 Pump Jet and #65 Starter Petrol Jet. Those two are very close to being the same, except for the shoulder differences. When i rebuilt my carb i repalced these pieces with the kits one at a time, repalcing with the same size. BUT when i got the second carb i noticed those two were opposite of what i "thought" was right. That being said i am not sure if i have them in correct. Not sure which of the two carbs to trust. Which one goes where?
Dan Stewart
1991 Wrangler
1948 CJ2a

DanStew
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by DanStew » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:18 am

Still battling the floodig carb.
I took my carb off today and put it on the bench to check the float level.

I noticed that when the accelorator linkage is worked the full will dribble out of the pump injector.
I noticed that the injector is leaning against the center and the fuel is dripping down the metal center

On my other parts carb the injector is not on the center

Where is the injector supposed to be positioned? It is movable so i can change its position.
Also it just dribbles fuel out. Where does the atomization of the fuel happen in this carb?

And last reading more abouy the Solex, I found this passage on the M201 hotchkiss site.

"If the problem persists then a rich mixture can be caused by fuel dripping into the manifold from the main jet casing which can also cause idling and starting problems as the contents of the float chamber can flood the manifold when the jeep stands after a run. I have come across this fault a couple of times and it is caused by the casting that supports the main jet coming loose from the mail body casting. As the two appear to be pressed together during manufacture a repair might be possible but a replacement carburettor is the better option."

Does anyone have a picture of this press fit area? I did not notice anything when i pulled out the main jet holder. Or is this pertinant to the original Solex and not the ones made in India/China?
Dan Stewart
1991 Wrangler
1948 CJ2a

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”