Rear Differential

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Rear Differential

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:37 pm

I've been rebuilding the 19 spline Dana 44 rear axle on my 1964 CJ3B. The axle gears and spider gears seem to have a lot of excessive motion, so I purchased a new gear set. Everything seems to fit OK, but the gears will only turn about 1/2 turn before they lock up. I've taken them out and re-installed them several times, but it's always the same. I installed my old gears and they turn fine. It appears that the new gears are not meshing correctly. I don't know who manufactured this particular gear set, but am wondering if anybody else had had this problem with new gears? At this point, looks like I may have to reuse my old worn gear set. I've asked the seller for help, waiting to see what he says.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Rear Differential

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:18 am

The seller has agreed to take the new gear set back and refund my money, thank you! I guess I will just reuse my old gears and hope for the best.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Rear Differential

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:36 pm

I found an NOS set of thrust washers and cross shaft and used them with my old gears. This seemed to remove almost all the slack motion in the gears. Differential is back together and has about 50-60 miles on it with no problems or noise.

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”