MBT Bantam 1/4 Ton Trailer Values

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
Raflad
Sergeant Major of the Gee

MBT Bantam 1/4 Ton Trailer Values

Post by Raflad » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:50 pm

I was thinking about purchasing an unrestored trailer to go with my GPW but have no idea on values. Obviously condition and originality is everything but if I was to come across one I wouldn't know what was a reasonable value. Which one commands a higher price, MBT or Bantam? Here are my scenarios for finding a complete one for sale in some farmers barn.

1. Totally original, has been painted over the years, minor dings, has data plate and minimal rust.
2. Incorrect wheels, minor modifications, dings and dents, data plate missing but still pretty solid.

I know it is a loaded question with a lot of unknown conditions, but if someone could at least give a ball park figure it would be greatly appreciated.
Adam Smith
GPW 80535, 11-19-42
MBT 2470, 8-42, USA #0160905

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: MBT Bantam 1/4 Ton Trailer Values

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:00 am

Average condition here in the U.K. you would pay around £1000, dont forget prices are higher over here though, good luck. :D

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:51 am

One one add in Sheet Metal repair, painting, Reflectors, Tires, Wiring Harness, Slave Cable, Tarp, missing brackets, etc ., an unrestored WWII 1/4 Ton trailer can easily end up a 3-4000 dollar investment once finished.
It is difficult to set a price as there are lots of variables.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi Adam:

Prices for "barn find" MBT 1/4-ton trailers vary with the circumstances of its discovery, from bargain to above market price. As you recognize, finding them in unrestored WW II condition is quite difficult, as most have been painted a few times during their civilian service and well used, as testified to by their dents and dings.

Though not directly responsive to your inquiry, here is something to put in your outfield rooster. I have for sale in Denver, CO. (adjacent to NM) a 1950 Mitsubishi 1/4-ton military jeep trailer that is a 98% dead ringer for a WW II MBT. This link provides more information: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=286533. Asking price is a quite reasonable $1,195.00 FOB Denver with a clear Colorado title. This trailer is very straight and has most of the extra cost items mentioned by Ben Dover that are often missing. With a fresh coat of lusterless olive drab paint, weathered one season by the intense NM sun, it might be a satisfactory alternative to a genuine WW II MBT for your GPW. :)
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

macaddict23
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by macaddict23 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:53 pm

From what I've seen over the years, the prices of WW2 1/4 trailers have come down a bit. Prices seem to be equal for both Willys and Bantam.

Personally, even with minor dings and dents, I'd pay more for a nice, complete unrestored original over a factory restored. Price wise, considering they are extremely hard to find, I wouldn't hesistate paying $1,200+.

When you do find one, put your poker face on. You know what it is, but Farmer Joe might not. If you go in and start saying "Army, Military, Collector, Rare, Original Paint," he might increase his asking price. Go in as if you're buying a standard trailer just to use for weekend trips to the dumps.

Good luck!

Dexter
"Originality . . . It just needs to be what it is."

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:14 am

Good advice Dexter. On a similar note, a friend of mine heard that a Bantam T3 trailer was for sale near us. We went and had a look at it, and saw the best example of an unrestored trailer i had ever seen. Immadiately my friend offered him £750 cash, then realising what he had he tried to push the price up. He then said "sorry guys i can get more for this at an auction". He auctioned it off and got £550, less his commission. Served the greedy swine right. Someone got a bargain though. Pricewise, this was about 12 years ago, so values are up. :D

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:45 am

This Mitsubishi is a reasonable choice, only needs minor body work and will end the chase for a good 1/4 Ton WWII type trailer. One can spend a lot of wasted time traveling to look at trailers that were a waste of time. Here's a trailer that is nearly complete that can easily save the buyer a couple thousand dollars in work and missing parts. The differences betweem the Mitsubishi and the MBT/BT3 are negligible, few will ever notice.
Remember, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Raflad

Post by Raflad » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks for everyone's advice. I do have a better understanding now of what to expect. Fred, the trailer you have for sale is very nice and from what other people have said a good price. As of now, I'm still leaning towards finding an original WWII trailer, I'm not desperate but if I do come across one I have some idea of value. If I do find that one tucked away in Farmer Joe's barn I'll let everyone know
Adam Smith
GPW 80535, 11-19-42

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:11 am

No one has stated the obvious. The quest for a complete WWII trailer in the wild is a VERY hard-to-attain find. Farmers cannot typicaly use lunate tow rings, and MOST of them have been removed in favor of agricultural "pin" type attachment or the far more common ball and socket hitch. Look at prices for ANY 1/4T lunette ring for validation.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:42 am

I'm with Luke on this...most trailers you see have a fulton hitch on them that either replaced the drawbar bracket & lunette and landing leg or, lsome kind soul just chopped of the lunette ring and welded the business end of the fulton hitch to it. The chains are too short to use on most modern vehicles so they were either eliminated or butchered in some fashion. The handbrake may or may not be present and the tail lights are often smashed or have been replaced with larger ones.

The floors always have some degree of waviness even if they are not rusted out (metal too thin to begin with). Replacing the floor is a PITA unless you have a shop, the tools and the skill to do that. Some heating/wetting/shrinking and banging may take some of that out. Combat rims are not often found on examples seeing hard use on the farm. Dinged, smashed or torn fenders are common as well.

Of course the final indignation is the addition of a tailgate.
So, when we say that prices are all over the place that isn't just a geographical observation, like anything...condition, condition, condition are critical here. So is the sourcing and cost of what parts you need to restore it.

Look at it this way...parts are hard to find, costly and take time to source...
Combat rims = whatever Ron sells repops for
Tires/flaps = whatever choose to put on there but Goodyear's are XXXpensive!
Taillights = maybe $150 a pair and maybe $30 or more for repop brackets?
Harness = check with Ron
Lunette = CWRon
Chains = ditto
Landing leg = available
Landing leg pivot (3-hole) = good luck
Drain plug = CW Ron
Sandblasting, primer & paint
Tub & fender repairs

OK....you might find one Farmer Joe has that some/all of the stuff still on it but not very likely unless you live in an agricultural area like Dexter does. I will say this...having a trailer to tow behind the jeep is a pretty cool add-on and I use mine for other jobs behind the F-250 with the addition of a light bar plugged into the truck lighting and a hitch that accepts a ball and a lunette ring.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Raflad

Post by Raflad » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Thank you for your input Chuck, valuable points indeed, really appreciate it. But if I was to come across that elusive trailer with everything original, all it basically needed was replacement tires, re-wiring and a sand blast and paint, what would the value be? Ballpark figures of course.
Adam Smith
GPW 80535, 11-19-42

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:44 am

Raflad wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 pm
Thank you for your input Chuck, valuable points indeed, really appreciate it. But if I was to come across that elusive trailer with everything original, all it basically needed was replacement tires, re-wiring and a sand blast and paint, what would the value be? Ballpark figures of course.
Value in the collector market would be anywhere from 1,000-2,000 in the comdition you state (complete with clean metal). And you should probably sign up for your Powerball the same day. The closest one to complete I've found had been tailgated, bent lunette, bad fenders, and needed body work!

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 am

I certainly do not consider myself either and expert or novice on this matter, but I find generally when this questions arises with regards to trailer, vehicles and MCs, there are a few who post recommendations of ridiculously low estimates for prices to buy things at, then when you actually see something for sale here on the G is is many times set ridiculously high.

I'm, with Chuck and Luke on this. I spent several months looking for a fair or better trailer project. I saw the full gamut of crap to completely restored. The field and barn finds are diminishing and we are now seeing projects and completed items just changing hands between the community. and each time they change hands the price rises a bit. That is understandable. This has been the case with the militaria market for about 5-10 years.

If you find something you are pleased with, and you really want to restore it, just work with the seller and ensure you are both happy when you shake hands. I say this almost with total disregard to the price. The fully resorted trailers I viewed in the last 6 months were all over $2000 with a handful approaching $3000. It seems to me $2300-$2700 was in the heart. See what you need to purchase to finish it, add that to the asking price, and if you are near $2500 then you are not paying above market price. If you really want this trailer, then buy it and don't worry (too much) about the price. This is a cool hobby and when you find a gem, get it.

Last comment; Too many times I balked at an item to save a few dollars, thinking I'll find one (whatever it was) cheaper later on. :( Many times I am still looking or ended up paying more later after an even longer search because I was trying to be shrewd (or cheap) :lol:

Lunnette Repro $250
Tires, tubes, flaps $400
small part to finish $250+
wiring harness $175 or more
paint, primer, sand blasting $200
hardware$
labor$$$

Just those few items are over $1200 so I can understand why a seller would want $2500 for a trailer he found for $750
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:17 am

My "trailer" is going to be cobbled together from 3 SEPERATE trailer purchases, with enough parts left over to assemble the hard parts of one complete WWII trailer.

Wiring, tires, paint, canvas still "to be purchased".

I am approaching the 1000-1200 range of what I have paid to get all the parts.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:31 am

You can probably buy a trailer needing a lot of stuff and hope to source the missing parts at reasonable prices and spend a lot of time doing that and restoring it.... or you buy one with less problems.... or a restored one with virtually none at all....they will be priced accordingly.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”