Restoration Transportation Equipment T1

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
lowbonnet
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Restoration Transportation Equipment T1

Post by lowbonnet » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:49 am

I have finally uploaded a couple of images of the restoration process of my Transportation Equipment T-1 1/4 ton trailer.

Transportation Equipment Co
USA number: none
ACM number: 69392
UPPER Shock Mount: cotter-pin type, BOLTED to the frame
LOWER shock mount: threaded
Axel: welded seam in the middle
Springs: 8 leaves, Standard FLAT Willys type; spring clips with the closure at the bottom
Reflector bezels? 1 blank, 1 arrow lite model 217; bolt HEADS inside the tub. no washers
Taillight Mounts: Standard "L" brackets bolted to the tub

The photos can be viewed here:
Arrival at my workshop: https://goo.gl/photos/zKp5M9F34Hk99siK7
Removal of floor: https://goo.gl/photos/vNrb5ACLB16CRfcA7
Sandblasted: https://goo.gl/photos/TvtDYtjm2SXVtJVy8

Image Image
June 1942 Ford GPW (script)
Transportation Equipment Co. T1, 1/4 ton trailer

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: Restoration Transportation Equipment T1

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:50 am

I believe this is another one of those 229th rebuilds as the tag indicates. They used a copy of the Trans Eq. data plate with nothing stamped on them. With an ACM of 69392 this would be a September 1943 trailer. With Upper Shock mounts that are cotter pinned it would be an MBT (I assume that they were not threaded and then drilled for a cotter pin???).

The data base I have that has known Transportation Equipment plate have ACM numbers in the 121xxx to 154xxx range and would be one of those additional companies contracted to produce the G529 in 1945. They were all basically a copy of the Bantam version of the G529.

How this one got from Japan in the post war era to Holland would be interesting to know...Korea comes to mind or via France and the Southeast Asia perhaps or through civilian hands?
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

lowbonnet
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by lowbonnet » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:27 am

I thought that the bracket that was attached to the front was a French modification... The upper shock mounts are not treated but have indeed a hole for cotter pin. I will make a better closeup image later this week. The lower shock mount bracket has a short thread with a cotter pin hole.

based on the ACM I think it is an MBT of which they removed the data plate from. The trailer had several A and/or AA marked bolts. AA bolts are Willys, right?

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:58 am

Yes...the A and AA bolts are a Willys thing....but your trailer went through a formal rebuild program where "parts is parts" so anything that can be bolted onto the trailer could be from any other trailer. Actually I think you would be happier with it being restored as a WWII issued trailer since you are in Holland. I know it is changing the history to remove the 229th plate but the 229th changed history already when they removed the original plate and put on a Trans. Equipment data plate!

Maybe you'd be happier with a repop data plate and USA number and those two plates removed and it being restored as a US Army trailer?
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

lowbonnet
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by lowbonnet » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Since you just mentioned that the ACM corresponds to an MBT I started to think about that too Chuck.

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”