Newly acquired rust bucket

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
S McIlwaine
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Newly acquired rust bucket

Post by S McIlwaine » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:29 pm

After many years watching for one and now that the 44 MB is almost there after 14 years. I finally got a trailer that was within budget. (eBay purchase) May end up costing more in the long run but they are hard to find in the UK in any condition and I can spread the restoration cost over many years :D :D
Hope the link to the photos works this time.
https://goo.gl/photos/yhc199SfKJU8oT7V6
What's your thoughts mbt? Axle and wheels are not original but the break backing plates are? The towing eye is missing as is the floor.
Haven't gone looking for any stamped numbers yet but the cut rear panel has some paint numbers showing but may just be a number plate.
Does anyone recognise the wheel/hubs may have been a British conversionor or just a bubba mod' to keep it running? What's left of the tyres are 600-16 but not being bar grips just look wrong.
One photo shows a cj rear floor in place am thinking of making up a floor from jeep scrap. All parts donations welcome. :D
Just another UK jeep lover

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Re: Newly acquired rust bucket

Post by Bill H. » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Welcome to the world of the 1/4 ton trailer! So many have been right where you are now bro! It looks rough but those can be the best of all. Thanks for sharing.

PS, Chuck Lutz will be hitting you up for information details so help him out all you can because it ultimately helps us all. ;)
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

lowbonnet
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by lowbonnet » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Wow, I have never seen such a rust bucket 1/4 ton trailer... I wish you all the best with the restoration. :roll:

These two are for sale on milweb (I have no relation with the sellers):
Both in the UK
£1100 ... good condition,no rot, Doncaster area.

and this one is a Bantam, looks good, ready to go, £1750 ono.

http://www.milweb.net/webvert/a2386
June 1942 Ford GPW (script)
Transportation Equipment Co. T1, 1/4 ton trailer

S McIlwaine

Post by S McIlwaine » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:00 am

Those two are nice but way beyond my budget my auction ended at £62 ($77) but had a slight problem in that it was 450 miles and a boat journey from home cost me twice as much again for that bit.
I had been stock piling parts to fabricate one from scratch so a axle is underway already from a jeep axle that someone torched the diff out off and I had one safety chain already in the parts store along with a couple of leaf springs, two combat rims and a few other bits.
Let's just say I'm trying to do this on a shoe string budget.

Stereo11
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Stereo11 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Hey, looks ok to me, i paid way more than that here for a frame and a box of bits, if the shocks are held on with split pins then mbt it will be, check for the serial number stamped on frame under spring mount. Hopefully the rust has not got there first. check out jeepdraws 1/4'ton info page, very helpful,and email,chuck your frame number for some info too. Good luck .

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 am

I had a set of chain wedges and some very old chain. I made my hooks and the large joining links.

S McIlwaine

Post by S McIlwaine » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Re Stereo11 comments- thanks reassuring that I have not totally wasted my hard earned cash.
Re it.luke I have one complete wedge chain and hook I'm currently keeping my eyes open for a thick piece of steel I can carve a second wedge out off I too have some rusty chain and the hooks on some Lorry load binding tackle might be an option for a hook if one doesn't appear on eBay for the right money soon.
Progress
Today I took 10 mins and removed what's left of the tub/ box. It didn't take much :lol: I plan to strip the frame down and take it to get blasted to see what remains in a week or two, the front arms are well rusted where they meet the bolt plates as are the plates on the top side anyway still hopefull of finding a number stamped on the bottom side but as the top is almost rusted through I have my suspicions it may have gone. Hopefully I can set in some more solid metal into the arms themselves and save them the front ends look fine!! But I'm not sure my trailer should carry the full 1/4t rating going forward :D
The three sides of the body I think I will breakdown into three panels make it easier to manhandle to and from blasters and for setting in the bottom 1.5-2" that will be needed.

Stereo11
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Stereo11 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:21 am

Hey bud, have a chain wedge for you if you want it, no chain or hook. You pay shipping its yours.

S McIlwaine

Post by S McIlwaine » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Progressing with the axle removal - on closer inspection the backing plates on the hubs not correct either not to worry have two replace those long nuts on the "U"clamp can take a bit of work some have no hex left to add to the fun.
Trying to progress the new axle too can anyone confirm thickness of the dust cap plats no the hubs need to make up a couple of replacements.

https://goo.gl/photos/9rY4G7dEr8aGwA296.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 pm

S McIlwaine wrote:Progressing with the axle removal - on closer inspection the backing plates on the hubs not correct either not to worry have two replace those long nuts on the "U"clamp can take a bit of work some have no hex left to add to the fun.
Trying to progress the new axle too can anyone confirm thickness of the dust cap plats no the hubs need to make up a couple of replacements.

https://goo.gl/photos/9rY4G7dEr8aGwA296.
my calipers are dead, but the part seems to be in the neighborhood of 3/16". That stands to be inaccurate, so maybe someone else will chime in.

S McIlwaine

Post by S McIlwaine » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:15 am

Had another few minutes with the trailer last night after I gave up for now on getting the jeep to run correctly but that's for a different post. I took the left hand Spring hanger off as I suspected plate is well rusted can only make out half of some numbers of the ACM number I see from jeep draw the there were only 150440 1/4 t trailers made so can anyone help confirm what the first number is likely to be 1 2 or any higher? If my research is correct I'm looking for a 6 digit number with possibly a W before or after.
Only got partial so far ???210 and even at that the 0 could be a 6, 8 or 0 only wire brushed so far will try and chip the scale and sand some more see if I can get anymore.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:30 am

Send me all the answers to the "How To ID..." sticky, there are some changes during production that will help to figure out what the ACM number was if you can't discover it with a wire wheel session. From there, a decent estimate may be possible.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

S McIlwaine

Post by S McIlwaine » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:02 am

Summary of details
1. No data plate - remains of possible rivets in the correct hole pattern for a plate
2. USA number - not uncovered to date
3. ACM number 89210 with slight question over the 9 & 0 due to heavy rust
4. Shock mounts both cotter pin
5. Axle - non original any help I'd ing the 16" wheels would be good.
6. Springs Willys style 8 leaf
7. Tail lights and reflectors - missing
8. Tail light brackets missing but holes for mounting
9. Original drawbar missing, "A" frame correct looking v notch
10. Bolts unmarked or heavy rust - so far
11. Unit markings - still to sand tub but evidence of white painted numbers on rear with British reg. Number format.

In all not much to go on so fingers crossed when I start sanding but not much paint left to sand.

Chuck can you make a year estimates based on the ACM#?

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:47 am

Is it Steve?

Anyway, if we use 89210 as the ACM number....and you confirmed there are no THREADS on the upper shock mounts, just the cotter pin holes.....then a VERY rough estimate for your MBT would be as follows:

Willys MBT
Serial Number.........52577
DOD.....................December 1943
USA Number...........0483600

Once you have confirmed there is no remains of the USA number on the rear panel, no USA number info on the lower rear frame rail and that there are no stampings on the drawbars top/bottom/side or the lip where the hand brake is mounted...unless you can improve the "89210" you found then I think you can use what we have here as a rough estimate....Robert de Ruyter makes the best data plates....he's in the Netherlands. He can also stamp it with a proper font and in the proper manner for your era trailer.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

S McIlwaine

Post by S McIlwaine » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Chuck thanks for the estimate, for the record it is Stephen but Steve, Stevie I answere to most things. The shock mounts ar defiantly cotter pins both ends the ACM number can just be made out see picture Image. The rust has eaten its way through most of this trailer but will try and get something off the rear panel.
https://goo.gl/photos/LxbBapd7RknW7BGH8
I'm still tarring the trailer down to get the parts shot blast to see what is left and see if enough of the frame remains to patch or if I use the frame as a templet to make a new frame.

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”