just picked this up today

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Re: just picked this up today

Post by lt.luke » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 am

Work, a Masters, Family, a family-run business and a bunch of other things have gotten in the way of both working on and posting progress of the MBT.

But...I have worked on it, and I have been working on it more over the last couple weekends. Lets catch anyone up who would like to follow along....

I have removed most of the Bubba and disassembled everything in the first pic. For a while, the tub was in my garage floor. I found that rusty horrific trailer in the other pic down in Dallas and picked it up for parts. Salvaged a pair of fenders, pair of combats and a BO light switch off of that one.

Then, salvaged the front and rear panels and few other parts for other people's trailers. It does not look it, but she was worth what she cost.
Attachments
IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG (121.55 KiB) Viewed 416 times
IMG_2091.JPG
IMG_2091.JPG (123.05 KiB) Viewed 417 times

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:29 am

There has been a whole bunch of sandblasting and priming.

The BO light switch "separated" when I tried to remove it from the Bubba'd trailer in the above photo (the crimp between the threaded portion let go, so the threaded portion spun when trying to remove the nut. grabbing the bell didn't help). The black trailer had the nut and star washer retaining the front half of the BO light switch, but the bell and guts of the switch were gone. So, careful disassembly was done of all the bits. The switch was disassembled and cleaned, everything was sandblasted. The little sheet metal cover was present on the black trailer but missing on the rusty one, so that was removed and reinstalled on the other with a proper drive screw. Some JB weld "glued" the pieces back together and the switch is ready to go back on the trailer.

Neither trailer had good towing A-frame arms. But I had picked up some CDN 101 arms in another parts deal. Those were longer and taller than MBT arms. They were disassembled, blasted, sectioned, shortened and re-welded together. If you look, you can tell the work was done, but no weld seams show on the exposed part of the arms, so I'm happy.

Not liking the price and availability of safety hooks....I used the chains pictured earlier up-thread and some wedges on hand, and made my own hooks... Here's a near complete pic of one (in white) with an original next to it for comparison....
Attachments
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG (73.8 KiB) Viewed 415 times

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 am

Can someone confirm the overall length of the tub OUTSIDE measurements is 72"?

I've cleaned up what's left of the tub where it was tailgated and built panels to replace the weld tabs. Need to determine a fixed point and confirm a good measurement to use to install the new metal.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:01 am

patch panels for welding tabs
Attachments
IMG_4507.JPG
IMG_4507.JPG (107.52 KiB) Viewed 408 times

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:19 am

One side tacked in. Hope to get the other side today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”