Zeph's 1943 Willys MBT Trailer

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
Peace
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Zeph's 1943 Willys MBT Trailer

Post by Peace » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 am

Eyecandy Zeph!!
Nicely done!
Willys MB, tub #130819, sept 1944 (under restoration)
1944 Cushman Airborne 53 (restored for a friend)

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Peace wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 am
Eyecandy Zeph!!
Nicely done!
Thank you!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:23 pm

Compressor arrived. Now I just need to figure out how get it all set up:

Zeph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:16 am

Zeph...

A friend had his set up outside his shop. He constructed a shed just big enough for it and poured a concrete pad so he could install isolator pads to mount everything. He used 2x4s and insulated the shed and the roof and then installed sheetrock and a dense foam sheet over that. He vented the compressor through the roof with a tall stack and put several critter proof vents to allow fresh air into the shed. That made it MUCH quieter when that sucker kicked in. His was on a southern exposure to minimize dampness.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:07 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:16 am
Zeph...

A friend had his set up outside his shop. He constructed a shed just big enough for it and poured a concrete pad so he could install isolator pads to mount everything. He used 2x4s and insulated the shed and the roof and then installed sheetrock and a dense foam sheet over that. He vented the compressor through the roof with a tall stack and put several critter proof vents to allow fresh air into the shed. That made it MUCH quieter when that sucker kicked in. His was on a southern exposure to minimize dampness.
I'll be pouring some concrete to mount the compressor, and build some type of enclosure/cover. I spoke to Quincy today as they neglected to connect something on the aftercooler, and I asked about mounting it outside. No problem, just a roof to keep the rain off was their recommendation. It's rated at 78 decibels, but not sure what that represents until I fire it up. As for an enclosure, I was kinda leaning toward something more like this:

Zeph

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by timsresort » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 pm

What I'm really worried about here is that Zeph has way too much time on his hands to come up with that graphic. Nice compressor BTW, and sorry for your loss. (of the old trooper). It died with its boots on, or something.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:05 am

timsresort wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 pm
What I'm really worried about here is that Zeph has way too much time on his hands to come up with that graphic. Nice compressor BTW, and sorry for your loss. (of the old trooper). It died with its boots on, or something.
Well, I can't take credit for the graphic. Someone else found it for me. It was rather sad to see the old guy blowup and flame out. At least it died with it's head on. Of course, my sadness was immediately struck from my mind when big blue showed up.

I'm hoping that it can keep up with the media blaster now. Did you ever blast your Ben Hur?
Zeph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:30 am

To keep the Sun from cooking that compressor unit, install one of those thermal fans in your outhouse/guardshack.
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

timsresort

Post by timsresort » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:47 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:05 am
timsresort wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 pm
Well, I can't take credit for the graphic. Someone else found it for me. It was rather sad to see the old guy blowup and flame out. At least it died with it's head on. Of course, my sadness was immediately struck from my mind when big blue showed up.

I'm hoping that it can keep up with the media blaster now. Did you ever blast your Ben Hur?
Ben Hur is still waiting. Latest is I have a line on a guy in Durham. Since I now have a kid at Chico State, it sort of makes sense.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:02 pm

timsresort wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Ben Hur is still waiting. Latest is I have a line on a guy in Durham. Since I now have a kid at Chico State, it sort of makes sense.
If all went well here, and big blue is up for it, we could do it here. Durham is only an hour from here. We would just need to stock up on some beer...
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Wow, worked outside all day and it hit 115 degrees. Thankfully, I had plenty of beer handy to hydrate with.

I have the trailer body back from the blaster, and I am sweating it out...literally. Flash rust is occurring already on all the parts. They used dustless blasting with the water which I knew would be an issue. I'm a little stressed since I don't have a compressor to provide air to paint. Hustling to get there.

Today I accumulated all of the material to hard wire the new compressor. I had wired a receptacle for the old compressor, but wanted to install a cut off switch in place of the receptacle. However, after going to HD, ACE and TSC, I couldn't find a cut off switch, so found some connectors to splice the wires. Used some shrink wrap and then taped everything in addition. Although I wired my whole garage myself, I only know enough to be dangerous. I decided to use a 4" x 4" x 2" waterproof splice box to house the connections. Drilled holes for the wire to come in from the back/garage side and installed the fitting for the waterproof conduit. Here are the connectors.

Used shrink wrap and then electrical tape to seal the connections:

All shrunk and then taped. Should be okay I hope:

Also, I formed up a spot for a little concrete pad (7' x 3') to mount the compressor and eventually build a little housing:

I think I will temporarily install the compressor tomorrow as I need to paint some those parts. Also, it would be nice to fire it up to break it in a bit to see how it works.[/SIZE]
Zeph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:42 am

A cut-off switch in the shop would enable you to fire up the compressor when you need it and not have you messing with the circuit panel when you want to use it...that means no compressor running in the middle of the night when you are trying to get some sleep.
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:12 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:42 am
A cut-off switch in the shop would enable you to fire up the compressor when you need it and not have you messing with the circuit panel when you want to use it...that means no compressor running in the middle of the night when you are trying to get some sleep.
I have the circuit breaker panel near the man door...can I say that nowadays? I also rigged up a big red light next to the exit door that is bright red only when the breaker is on for the compressor. When I close up in the evening, I see the red light and remember to switch the compressor off. Has worked well. I do recall the days of waking in the middle of the night to the compressor serenade.

I tested the compressor today. The instructions indicated to jog the motor with the on/off switch to make sure it rotated in the correct direction. If I could have found an on/off switch, this would have been the time to use it as I could not see the compressor from the breaker panel. Then I recalled I had this thing called a smart phone and it has vidoe on it. I set the video on and pointed at the compressor. Jogged it and verified the rotation was correct. I then fired it up.

OMG! Unbelievable how quite the compressor is. Easily could be in the shop and not even notice it running. Quincy's quality control is not very good, however. I had to call them as a brass fitting on one of the copper lines was never connected, and I wasn't sure if I was missing anything as I couldn't get it connected due to it being installed on the copper tubing incorrectly. They told me just hook it up. Took me an hour to finally make the connection.

Also, there is a weird air leak at the pressure switch when the compressor turns off automatically. Kinda unnerving, but it bleeds down and then holds air. Not sure if that is correct. That alone would make one not want it in the garage. Then the top of the tank leaks. There is a plug there, but it leaks and I don't have an allen wrench that large to see if I can screw it down and tighten it more. I guess I will need to buy a set of large allen wrenches...not that there is anything wrong with that. The set I have only goes up to about 3/8's of an inch. Anyway, wiring it up was a snap and seems to run well. Sounds like a quiet V-Twin.

Here's a little video of the air leaks. The one connection I had to make at the aftercooler seems to be okay and not leaking. Just need to figure out the pressure switch leak and the upper tank leak. Can anyone verify that this pressure switch leak after shut down is normal on new compressors? My old one was about 60 years old, so not sure of all this new fangled stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE3CfDMK9gw
Zeph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:34 am

My brother, the electrician would weigh in with this....circuit breakers are not cheap and constantly tripping them to power up/down is not good for them. A simple steel box next to the circuit breaker panel that controls the compressor with an "idiot light" on the hot side and an industrial grade switch would be a better off-on method and let the breaker do what it is supposed to do...protect the circuits....not act as an off/on switch.

Just sayin'.....
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:30 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:34 am
My brother, the electrician would weigh in with this....circuit breakers are not cheap and constantly tripping them to power up/down is not good for them. A simple steel box next to the circuit breaker panel that controls the compressor with an "idiot light" on the hot side and an industrial grade switch would be a better off-on method and let the breaker do what it is supposed to do...protect the circuits....not act as an off/on switch.

Just sayin'.....
I know I know....I guess I'm just hard headed. Been flipping that darned breaker now for over 25 years on a weekly basis. I know it'll go someday. Everyone keeps telling me that it will. It'll will be a sad day to see it go, but I will be prepared when it finally gives it up. I really wish I could have found a cutoff switch to mount near the compressor, but not around here.

I couldn't find an allen wrench the size of the plug on top of the compressor, but figured it out that it was half inch. Flipped a bolt upside down with a couple of nuts on it and that did the trick. Used a breaker bar, and tightened it up to quash the leak.
Zeph

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”