Zeph's 1943 Willys MBT Trailer

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's 1943 Willys MBT Trailer

Post by zepher11 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 am

Whiskey7 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:41 am
Zeph, great work! I'm following along closely. Are you on the FB group too? Have finished stripping our trailer but it will be a few months before we start the rebuild as we have a lot of parts to get sandblasted and a lot to buy too. Thanks for all the great pics!
Eric

Did you ever find a source for the correct chains btw?
Thanks! Which FB group is it? I looked briefly for a WWII 1/4 ton trailer site on FB, but I didn't see anything.

I did secure some chains some time ago. They were the best I could find at the time. I will see if I can get a photo and post it this week sometime.

Regards,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Whiskey7
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Whiskey7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:55 am

The group is called Bantam/Jeep/Willys And Converto Dump Trailers

If Ron doesn't have the bellcrank bolt you are looking for try armyjeepparts.com

I have been scouring the net for availability of trailer parts these last few weeks and while price is a factor, availability is a bigger issue.

Eric

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Whiskey7 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:55 am
The group is called Bantam/Jeep/Willys And Converto Dump Trailers

If Ron doesn't have the bellcrank bolt you are looking for try armyjeepparts.com

I have been scouring the net for availability of trailer parts these last few weeks and while price is a factor, availability is a bigger issue.

Eric
Thanks Eric, I will check it out. I ordered the bellcrank bolt and the lead washers from armyjeepparts.com yesterday.

I also ordered the reflector bases from Ron along with two axle bumpers pads this afternoon.

I think I have everything I need to complete the trailer now. However, I'm sure I'm forgetting something....
Zeph

Whiskey7
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Whiskey7 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:25 am

Zeph can you check for me if the bellcrank sits flat when you remove the bolt. Mine is bent a bit as is one of the rods.
Where did you get your chains from?
Thanks

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Whiskey7 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:25 am
Zeph can you check for me if the bellcrank sits flat when you remove the bolt. Mine is bent a bit as is one of the rods.
Where did you get your chains from?
Thanks
Hi Eric,

I know the bell crank itself is bent to allow for movement...see mine below. The handbrake to bell crank rod I'm not too sure about. The old pitted one I had was bent, but a fellow G503 member made me the new one which isn't bent...see below. Also in my photo is the new bell crank bolt and the lead washers I received from AJP's today. Now if I take the MBT in the pool with me I will only have to worry about the water seeping through the rear panel seams I welded. Still not sure how they sealed the seams. I don't see any evidence of sealant:

My new reflector bases, the one pictured below, are the ones I ordered from Ron on Monday and received yesterday:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Also cleaned up the welds on the rear panel:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:24 pm

I had Jon help me out with the JeepDraw guide for the reflector locations on the MBT. I printed the diagram to scale and taped it in the correct position as detailed on the JeepDraw diagram. Wouldn't you know it, when I used the spring loaded drill punch it punched out the original hole and shot the round weld out into the trailer. Low and behold, all four holes shot out when I punched the diagram location outline. Talk about accurate:

I welded closed the sideways holes that someone used for the reflectors, since they weren't in the factory location. Also used the diagram to locate the new rear panel reflector mounting holes.

The only issue now is that the sides near the rear where the reflectors will be mounted are bowed out considerably. I believe most of the bowing was caused by the extensive welding that went on to create the tailgate addition. Almost a 1/2" out, or split the difference at 1/4" out, where it will not let the reflectors sit flat against/the sides. Looks like I will need to heat shrink the bowed out sections:
"
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:53 pm

Hello Zeph,

Most excellent work, on this trailer and all your vehicles !!

Your work , craftsmanship, and attention to detail are a great inspiration to me, and many I am certain.
I look forward to your updates, and enjoy also the great coverage you posted about building your wonderful shop to preserve your vehicles !!

Best Regards,

Raymond

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:27 am

70th Division wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:53 pm
Hello Zeph,

Most excellent work, on this trailer and all your vehicles !!

Your work , craftsmanship, and attention to detail are a great inspiration to me, and many I am certain.
I look forward to your updates, and enjoy also the great coverage you posted about building your wonderful shop to preserve your vehicles !!

Best Regards,

Raymond
Hi Raymond,

Thank you for the kind words. I always hope that someone can get inspiration or learn something that can help them from one of my posts. Makes the hobby more interesting for me to look back as well. Plus, I have learned so much from others that took the time to post photos and narratives of their work. I really like the threads with photos. I hate when I click on a thread thinking this will be a great photo and then there is no photo... :? :o

Anyway, thanks again,
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:08 pm

I blasted a bunch of the parts for the trailer today. Not as warm as it has been. Only like 100 degrees, but the humidity for us is a bit higher than normal. Lots of fires in the area, so the air quality is really bad. Not sure if that is contributing to the humidity. Right around 45% when it is usually around 18%. The water was flowing out of me when I was all suited up. Whew, barely made it. Parts turned out good, however:

Anyway, I was shaking my paint with my pneumatic paint shaker when I noticed some smoke coming in the back door of the shop. Thought it was dust from the shaker, but smelled something and whet outside. I was stunned as my compressor was in flames! Thought the garage was going to catch on fire, but then remembered it is concrete siding. Pulled the plug and the fire died out by the time I ran in and grabbed the fire extinguisher:

I am so sad as I have had this compressor for just over 30 years. I guess blasting for a few hours and shaking the paint put it over the edge. I figure this unit is about 50-60 years old. I bought it from an auto body shop that went out of business way back when.

Well, so much for painting. Now I have no air... Now I guess I'm in the market for a new compressor. I don't think they make 'em like they used to. Time to do some research...

Anyway, I rattle canned the primer and the OD just to get the fresh metal in paint:

Now I need to work on the axle and clean that up. I lost steam to blast it. Maybe next time....
Zeph

rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by rjbeamer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Free shipping and no tax Zeph. These are great compressors and the best prices that I know of. Just pick your size and fit to your pocket book.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200318461

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200414703

Roger

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:10 am

rjbeamer wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59 pm
Free shipping and no tax Zeph. These are great compressors and the best prices that I know of. Just pick your size and fit to your pocket book.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200318461

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200414703

Roger
Hi Roger, I think they have these compressors at Tractor Supply, so at least I can go over the check them out in person. The IR seem to have really good reviews. I knew eventually that I would need a new compressor as the compressor itself has been leaking for some time now. Thank you for the links!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Went with this as a replacement from Northern Tools. Liked the free shipping and no tax....thank your Roger! The Quincy enamored me with the 50,000 hour life of the compressor vs. the 10,000 hour life of the Ingersoll Rand compressor. Plus, went with the auto drain, low oil shut down and upgraded heavy duty after cooler. Since it will be running in 100 plus degrees a lot of the time, I figure it was worth it. I just checked the forecast and 108 degrees the next few days and over 100 degrees as far as they can forecast. Time to go swimming:
CC 08.jpg
CC 08.jpg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
Zeph

rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by rjbeamer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:03 am

Good choice Zeph. Quincy is an old time made in the USA product. You are going to love that auto drain. It looks like it has a higher CFM rating that the comparable Ingersoll Rand Model also.

Roger

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:22 pm

rjbeamer wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:03 am
Good choice Zeph. Quincy is an old time made in the USA product. You are going to love that auto drain. It looks like it has a higher CFM rating that the comparable Ingersoll Rand Model also.

Roger
Looking forward to getting the compressor. Seemed like every time I went to do something this weekend, I needed the compressor. Really put a crimp in my weekend.

I finished up most of the small parts for the MBT:

Also greased up the inner bearings on the hubs:

Only have two cans of grease left now. Starting to get nervous:

Zeph

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”