Prestolite point/condenser conversions

1959 - 1962, Mighty Mite, M422, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE, and Knowledge Base
ontosman
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Prestolite point/condenser conversions

Post by ontosman » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:04 am

Has anyone installed the Prestolite unit, made for the M151 Mutt, in a Mite distributor? I have access to one, but I don't know what it will take to install one. I assume the distributors are in same. Mike

mspeters
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Prestolite point/condenser conversions

Post by mspeters » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Yes, several have installed.

Use the newer 'swiss kit'. It is a drop in. The M151 and M422 distis are indexed & spin the same way.
The epoxy potting will face upwards on the swiss kit. I was told to stay very far away from the 1st gen original units (the potting compound is on the underside...gets hot, melts and jams up the advance mechanism. Perhaps the mite distributor gets much warmer on the top of an air cooled motor.

Also Pertronix (aftermarket) sells a 24v kit for the M38a1. It needs a slot cut for the M422 to reindex as the distributor spins the other way. Have a few of those for spares. Basically the inverse of the modification to use a 151 kit in a m38a1. Found this picture from M38A1 forums.

ontosman
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by ontosman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:25 am

Thank you for the good information. I will check on which generation of unit my source is offering. When you say "Swiss" do you mean that what I should be looking for is not made by Prestolite? Mike

mspeters
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by mspeters » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:00 am

Mike,

Most all the stock available at the suppliers is the newer swiss controls kit. Units may be Taiwan made if I recall.
Much info in the M151 forum.

Mark

Return to “M422 Mighty Mite”