M151 Engine in a mite?

1959 - 1962, Mighty Mite, M422, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE, and Knowledge Base
Agwrangler
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

M151 Engine in a mite?

Post by Agwrangler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Anyone ever heard of putting an M151 setup in a mite? What other engine would work in a mite, if not? Was sitting on the pot this morning and this thought hit me. Been bugging me all day.

Tom Campbell
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: M151 Engine in a mite?

Post by Tom Campbell » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:35 pm

I do some of my best thinking there. I have never heard of any other motors in the Mite - but I'm pretty sure that it would be way to big to go under the normal Mighty Mite hood. The motor is a 4 cylinder - horizontally opposed (2 cylinders on each side) design by Porsche - which makes the overall size pretty small.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:45 am

What about an old Porsche or VW engine? Might have to reconfigure some intake or oil pan mods, but if the original was similar...
just a thought.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Tom Campbell
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tom Campbell » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm hardly an expert on VW motors, and absolutely NO knowledge on Porsche motors - but the VW has a large circular part that is closest to the front. I don't know what it does, but I know that part would not fit under the hood of a Mighty Mite. My MM is in a museum in Huntsville, Alabama so I can't go outside and look at it - but perhaps one of the other guys on this forum can post an photo of the engine compartment to give you an idea of what you're looking at with any "modification". That's not to say that it can't be done, but I don't think it can.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:47 pm

This one looks huge. Perhaps a 1.6L Ford Eco boost could even fit in there. (then you would need a radiator...)
V/R W Winget
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mighty-Mite-m4 ... Sww-BaUZjc
Side view here:https://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=193841

Radar4xfour
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Radar4xfour » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:48 pm

For those who are interested in an engine transplant this forum member successfully installed a VW turbo diesel into a Mighty Mite, read all about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=228509

Keep in mind the front differential for a Mighty Mite is bolted to the bottom of the engine pan. The builder of the diesel Mighty Mite, mspeters, was able to retain this unique feature along with the independent suspension. The craftsmanship, creativity and engineering that went into his build is exceptional.

In one of my Mighty Mites I've installed a 3 cylinder Geo Metro (Suzuki) engine into an otherwise unusable Mighty Mite chassis. Along with the Suzuki motor are Samurai axles, transmission and transferase and leafspring suspension (non-independent). Other than the drivetrain, it is a long term project that is not close to being done.

Regards,

Radar

buick350
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by buick350 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:14 am

Years ago in 4 Wheeler Mag someone dropped a small block Chevy in one while retaining the the Mite drive train. Used it for sand drags. Believe it was in the mid to late 70's issue. May have been early 80. Just can't remember.

Cbrinker
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Cbrinker » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:01 pm

I think that it would be interesting to see an m151 engine in a mighty mite. I have 1 mighty mite with a 4 cylinder N/A vw diesel and another with a 4 cylinder fuel injected audi engine. They were bought that way almost 20 years ago so I really have no clue what all was involved in doing it. The vw diesel is worn out and has such low compression now that it won’t even start so I found this thread interesting as I am trying to find other engine options. I have an old wrecked late 80s Honda Civic with low mileage and was thinking that engine might be a good option, it would at least be interesting to try

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Your easiest move would be to replace the diesel VW engine with a newer VW model after looking at which engine it is. It would still take work, but the interchange of the drive train has already been done and it would be more of a bolt on re-mod.
V/R W Winget

Cbrinker
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Cbrinker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:13 pm

That’s a good point, the search begins for another vw diesel :lol:

SinDiesel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by SinDiesel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:15 pm

If I remember correctly one member some time back but a Kubota V1505T 4-cylinder inline turbo diesel in his mite retaining the mite tranny/TC via an adapter plate he made.

mytmight
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by mytmight » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:12 pm

<t>Hello there. I am currently putting an m151a2 powerpack,(engine,tranmission, and transfer case) in my Mighty Mite, serial # 2596. <br/>
<br/>
Issues:<br/>
My Mite is set up for 12 volts. (that's another story), so I'm still trying to decide if gonna go with 12 or 24 volts<br/>
<br/>
Had to convert the front diff from a gear to a yoke output.<br/>
<br/>
Had to have driveshafts made.<br/>
<br/>
Had my buddy weld mounts to hold up the front diff, engine and trans. Still need radiator mounts.<br/>
<br/>
Had to make a new brake pedal to have room for the gas pedal from an m151a2.<br/>
<br/>
Had to make a clutch pivot and "z" bar lingage.<br/>
<br/>
Working on gas pedal to carb linkage, wiring and plumbing it.</t>

Need to put the new glass in the windshield, put the fuel tank back in, and the 1/2 shafts.

Return to “M422 Mighty Mite”