WTS: 1966 USMC M151A1 - Uncut - Rust Free - SOLD

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2 jeeps, NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

WTS: 1966 USMC M151A1 - Uncut - Rust Free - SOLD

Post by Austringer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:05 pm

WTS: 1966 USMC M151A1 – Full Restoration – RUST FREE - UNCUT

This is one of my two babies, hate to sell them both but I have need for cash and space at the moment. She's a really sweet ride.
Located in Atlanta, GA 30319

The M151 for sale is a 1966 USMC M151A1 that has gone through a full rotisserie restoration. The M151A1 came out of the Barstow USMC base in the early 1970s. This one started out as a completely rust free California Mutt and was purchased several years ago. The M151 is uncut and has a perfect under-body with almost no dents or dings in the frame rails. No new metal or patch panels were used. This is the best running and driving M151A1 I’ve owned in the last 15 years that I’ve been playing with M151s. The reason I’m selling is to help pay and make space for a US armored vehicle I recently purchased. $20,000 was spent on the purchase and restoration of this vehicle. My loss, your gain.

Engine: The engine was recently replaced (less than 25 miles) with a new USMC crate A2 engine which has the heavy duty cylinder head for use with unleaded gas, distributor with electronic ignition and heavy duty clutch. The A2 engine was converted to the proper A1 configuration with a NOS Vacuum Pump added, the A2 Fuel pump replaced, proper two belt pulleys, proper vent and vacuum lines installed, new low oil pressure switch, new correct spark plug wires (rubber coated), new spark plugs, a Brooks Engine Services rebuilt Zenith carburetor installed. (Brooks rebuilt carbs are the best M151 carb as they modify them to open them up and remove the flat spots that are a design flaw in the original carbs). Radiator was cleaned out by local shop and repainted.

The USMC crate engine was properly broken in prior to being crated as indicated by tags and documentation that came with engine. Once broken in, engine was drained and preservative added to inside of engine. This was cleaned off and then Rotella 15W-40 added prior to being installed in M151. The idle is set at 500 RPM and she just putts away. Engine cranks right up in a few turns. Has plenty of power is very quiet compared to the majority of M151s I’ve had. It does not need any choke. This could be due to the NOS / new complete exhaust system that was installed.

Body: The M151A1’s body is the best original metal M151A1 body I’ve ever owned. There is zero rust on the Mutt. The body was never cut nor was any repair panels used or metal added during the restoration. The body was soda blasted while on the rotisserie and then primed and painted. Again, this is the best M151 body I’ve ever owned.

The windshield is in its original color as it came out of the USMC crate. It looked too good to paint and that would destroy or cover the original markings on it. It looks great with the M151.

Driveline, Suspension and Brakes: The driveline from the engine back has been restored including going through the transmission/transfer case(installed new input shaft and front and rear output shaft seals and sleeves, installing new universal joints (all 12 of them), new rubber boots, and checking and repacking the wheel bearings. The front and rear differential were opened up, checked, rebuilt with new seals and bearings installed. The front and rear suspension was removed from body, checked out, restored then put back on the body and adjusted via the TM manual specs. All new brake, fuel and vacuum steel lines were installed. All new rubber brakes lines were installed along with new brake shoes and wheel cylinders. New master cylinder was installed as well. The brake system on this M151 is all new and has been adjusted properly. Steering is tight and turns very nice.

Electrical: The wiring harness is in excellent condition and everything works. Turn signals, gauges, lights (headlight, blackout, brake, turn, etc) work.

Tires: The M151A1 has new tires with less than 25 miles on them. They are 2014 manufacture date and purchase with new tubes from Summit Racing.

Accessories: M4 post mount has been added to the M151A1. The M4 post mount was originally removed from a 1969 USMC M151 that was too far gone to save. This is an original M4 post with all the correct spacers etc. The front seats are vinyl and in great shape and were chosen due to quick rain showers in the area and the canvas seats get wet and hold the rain, the vinyl ones can be dried with a sweep of your hand. The rear is NOS canvas. The gas can on the rear is the one that originally came with the M151A1 when it was released. It has never left the vehicle. Comes with complete vehicle tool kit in canvas tool bag. Also includes original canvas top, not dry rotted but needs to be cleaned up. Looks great on a old vet such as this one. (not pictured)

Title: This M151 is currently registered and tagged in Georgia. With the current GA registration, a title can be obtained from any other state. GA will not issue titles on vehicles over 25 years old. I have done this in the hardest states to get a title in such as NJ, FLA, South Carolina and California.

If I had not purchased the armored vehicle, I would be keeping this M151A1 as it is the nicest one I’ve owned. Sad to see it go, but can’t have every toy we’d like to.

If you have any questions, please feel free email or call me at 404-665-6411

FAQ:
1.Yes, in the pictures, only one fan belt installed, now she has two.... only had one b/c the auto parts store had to order the 2nd one.
2. Yes, the I put the gas can / gerry can on that way just to piss off a member of this board. ;-)

About 100 pictures of this vehicle at the following google picasa site:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1053351408 ... directlink

Last edited by Austringer on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

STILL NOT associated with the Georgia MVPA 15 years and counting as long as that one guy is president of the club....

1963 Willys M151 (under resto)
1969 M706E1
1983 M106A2

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: WTS: 1966 USMC M151A1 - Uncut - Rust Free - $14,000

Post by TopKick » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:42 am

Jason,

That is one Outstanding MUTT! It looks nicer than the ones I drove on patrol while on active duty. 8)
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

Return to “M151's For Sale”