Mule cylinder parts

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
Williamson
G-Private
G-Private
Mule cylinder parts

Post by Williamson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 am

Does anyone have a source for piston ring sets for two cyl. Mule engine.
This is a great forum, I'm obviously new, but have restored the Mule I currently own.
She is getting a little tired and I suspect low compression.
Thx
Dale

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Mule cylinder parts

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:13 pm

Have you checked with John Emery?

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:22 am

Check Compression. The original mule piston rings used chrome plated rings for both compression rings. In my experience the chrome rings do not wear like cast rings.
Compression should be between 110-125 pounds

1. Pull the top engine cowling and check for mice nests and pressure wash as necessary to remove.
2. If you only have compression on 1 cylinder you may have an exhaust seat that has dislodge causing the valve to stay open. Remedy new head. All heads available are the Genset or PowerPlant heads. These do not us the copper head spacer. They will produce 145 pounds of compression. You could use the valves out of the original head. Have them ground and lap to check seating then install with the copper head spacer.

see the following Post to understand the differences between the 2 engines

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=262382

3. Check your governor to carb linkage heim joints for free movement.
4. Unlikely that your timing has changed but it should be 18 degrees BTDC 1000-3850rpms.
5. A leaking condenser could cause a magneto to lose power. Very difficult to check without the right equipment.

6. Check your sediment fuel filter if clogged it will cause your engine high speed running problems.
7. Add 8 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil or Rislone to your engine oil to condition your hydraulic lifters.
8. Change your engine oil I use Rotella T1 30 wt.
9 Add Marvel Mystery Oil or Sea Foam to your fuel about 8-16 oz for first treatment.
10 I ONLY use Non Ethanol Fuel with 2 oz of STA-BIL per 5 gallons of fuel for all my small engines both 2 and 4 stroke. Ethanol fuel will break down after 4 months and cause starting and running problems plus has a very high affinity for water.
11.Drain you gas tank refill and purge you fuel system by removing the fuel line at the fuel pump inlet fitting.
12 Check your Air Filter clean as necessary.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Williamson
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Williamson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:52 am

Thanks for the quick replies, Definitely great info.!
Many Thanks!
Dale

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”