clunk,clunk,clunk

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
clunk,clunk,clunk

Post by markrdje » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:20 am

Yesterday after driving the mule 4,5 miles, got 3 blocks from home, the mule started jerking,noise from right front tire, wouldn't roll when in neutral,reminded me of gear tooth missing, now how I know that I don't know?The right front housing needed gear oil, so all of this makes me think an axle broke? teeth broken?Maybe a bearing, I don't know if these are sealed or not, but I guess the thing to do is take RF wheel off, look at the insides of the wheel hub, I don't know if the end of the axle is splined? I guess it's time learn about the mule's drive train.
change user name to mark

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: clunk,clunk,clunk

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:41 am

Drop the oil out of all compartments and check for metal. Stick a magnet up into the bottom of each housing and see what comes out. Don't move it if you can help it, you can do a tremendous amount of damage in a short amount of time to those drop axle housings.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:34 pm

Ok, on the RF wheel, I took the drain plug out, found lot of metal shavings,2 steel balls, so I will drain the other front wheel just to see what comes out of that, shouldn't be anything but dirty gear oil, also I'll remove the drain plug in the middle of the axle,when you fill the middle hole of the axle that also fills the wheel
reservoir I'm thinking out loud,gotta take apart the wheel I suppose.There has got to be a lot more pieces apart there
change user name to mark

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:53 pm

If you found ball bearings, they probably came from the upper axle outer bearing, item # 5. Bearings #15 are tapered roller bearings and the others are needle bearings. Get your wallet out, it's gonna hurt!Just keep your fingers crossed that the housing is not damaged where the snap ring (#3 ) goes.
You might want to read this thread about how to remove the axle: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=267761&p=1559904&h ... g#p1559904

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:20 am

I got the hub off, the elbow axle?fell apart on me, it has 4 steel balls. So I have all the wheels in the air, so if my drop axle gears are screwed up, when I turn one of the other wheels, the axle turns ok on the wheel I have apart?I tried posting pictures but photo bucket is screwed up.So I guess I'll remove the cover behind the wheel/elbow axle.Any feedback for me?
Thanks,
Mark
change user name to mark

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:54 pm

That's not too unusual for the Bendix joint to come apart, TM 9-2320-246-34, page 5-9, shows how the joint goes back together, plus the same chapter details how to dissemble the drop axle and the inspection and repair standards. It also details the reassembly process, a critical part of which is the backlash adjustment of the helical driven gear.
If you don't have a copy of TM 9-2320-246-34 and/or have not thoroughly read through Chapter 5, STOP NOW and do so before you go any farther! All the TM's are available for free download at Mike White's excellent web page: http://www.whiteworks.us/TheMule/index_manuals.html

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”