Drop Axle U joint(CV lookin thing)

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
aidave
G-Private
G-Private
Drop Axle U joint(CV lookin thing)

Post by aidave » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:57 pm

I am in the process of reworking my drop axles on an A2(steerable). When I removed the axle with the ball bearing U joint, one of the balls came out. I read this is normal. When I reassembled the joint it is very sticky and bindy. I can articulate it in all angles but it sticks and binds a lot. The wear seems to be on both halfs, balls look fine. Is it time to replace? Can I smooth the cups with emery cloth or similar?

Dave

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Drop Axle U joint(CV lookin thing)

Post by muleman7 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:48 pm

Push the 2 halves together so they are tight to the center ball. Then rotate each half against each other. You should have no slop or movement if it is a new CV Joint. The more slop, movement or free play is an indication of wear. a severely worn CV Joint will allow the Drive Balls to fall out. I would not worry about Binding and Sticking. Apply grease to the balls and channels. This should lessen Binding and Sticking. As a new joint it will be nearly impossible to insert the last ball without removing the Center Ball Pin and rotating the flattened pin side to the empty slot. Instructions below

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Do mule c/v joints wear notches where the balls contact the tulips like car C/V joints do? On automotive C/V joints you can move the joint from the left side of the vehicle to the right hand side so the balls can contact the other side of the joint as the turning direction is reversed. This works great on cars (if you don't have the money for a rebuilt axle assembly), and I would think it would work on mules since the c/v joints are so hard to find these days. Thoughts?

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:10 am

You could try it but you will compound the wear and possibly loose a ball and that can cause tremendous damage.

John Emery had CV Balls that are 0.001 larger and for severely worn joints this may be an answer.

LUBE LUBE LUBE and check / service regularly.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”