Unit marking help needed

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
mooecow
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Unit marking help needed

Post by mooecow » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:06 pm

I'm trying to decide which markings to add to my GPW. I want to avoid the 82nd and all the other markings that end up on these jeeps. With that in mind I was thinking of doing something along the lines of the 603rd camouflage engineers of the 23rd headquarters special troops, or any of the other "ghost armys". The work they did was fascinating and I think it would look good on my jeep.

I am still a bit confused about what markings I would need. I found a site (http://www.classicjeeps.co.uk/american- ... -markings/) that breaks down the markings but I don't know how to find the information I'm missing. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
GPW#64706
DOD - 9/9/1942

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: Unit marking help needed

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Since you aren't committed to a family member's unit but are looking for something else....it is difficult to find out how some units were assigned and when they were assigned which would change their markings accordingly.

Make a list of units you are interested in and search for websites that honor that unit or actual unit members personal sites....you can often find a good amount of history and...better yet...original photos of vehicles that might make your search a LOT easier!

My jeep was in the XVth Corps which was in the 3rd Army to begin with but the XVth Corps was transferred to the 7th Army later on so things did change in the field over the course of the war.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”